Allright, here is the deal, I am big into Dereks music and have a nice collection of his live shows, but have never even heard a note from his studio releases. Do any of you have a particular favorite to recommend? I want to download one of them from Itunes to satisfy my blues jones that I am going through right now. Also, has anyone seen his new DVD that is out?
I have Joyful Noise, which is alright, although the vocal numbers didn't really impress me. I'm sure he has better studio stuff, but I haven't gotten to buying the others.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Well he goes through different stages with each of is Albums

The Derek Trucks Band- Mostly a jazz album with somewhat blues soloing
Joyful Noise- Is kind of Fusion inspired blues and some regular blues and straight fusion as well
Soul Serenade- This album has more rasta grooves then the others and has Bock to Bock and Afro Blue which are two jazz numbers. The whole album is what i would consider easy listening of sorts
Songlines- Is very Rasta style with good delta blues influenced music. This one is definitely their most "studio" sounding recording
Live at Georgia Theatre- Though this is a live album it has such good songs on it it has to be mentioned, this one is definitely my favorite album out of all of them.

One that wasn't mentioned was Out of the Madness but since i don't that album and haven't heard i can't comment.

Another reccomendation is the Songlines Live DVD and the ep if you want to spend less money.

And yes i have the DVD which is great, plus i got a signed setlist that came with pre-ordering it.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
I got Songlines and loved it so much I got the self titled album. Thanks for the responses. Listening to these albums just makes me realize what a fcking virtuouso Derek is.
I'm seeing Derek Trucks with Clapton in October, I can't wait to watch this guy play. He's extremely talented and I've got a bootleg from this Clapton tour and he really ads a ton to the music.
if you like derek trucks, go out right now and get his new Songlines DVD. ph man, its just awsome. it captures every aspect of derek's playing, from the deep blues to jazz and other stuff. his singer is also incredible. definately pick it up, its a live DVD but even ifyour looking for studio stuff you should take a look
Soul Serenade is his jazziest.

Joyful noise is... lots of stuff lol.

Self-titled album is more jam-rock. Some jazz covers (Miles Davis songs), but it's hardly "jazz."

Songlines is his poppiest, but still quite good. He's much more refined and in control for this album.
Looking for my India/Django.
When I go to see The Allman Brothers Band this year, not only will he be playing with them, but his band, The Derek Trucks Band, will be playing some too, and so will Oteil Burbridge's band Oteil and the Peacemakers.

If I get to see Eric Clapton this year, he'll be playing with him too, which will be another treat.

I've only heard samples of any Derek Trucks Band studio recordings, but they sounded pretty good to me.

Hopefully when I see his band perform I'll get some ideas of any albums to buy.
I saw Derek Trucks playing slide with Eric Clapton in May. He was deadly with that slide! It was amazing. Especially when they did Little Queen of Spades, Clapton the blues god pulled of the body of it beautifully, and Trucks did a stunning job with the slide. Trucks is an awesome slide player.
Quote by clapton-floyd
I saw Derek Trucks playing slide with Eric Clapton in May. He was deadly with that slide! It was amazing. Especially when they did Little Queen of Spades, Clapton the blues god pulled of the body of it beautifully, and Trucks did a stunning job with the slide. Trucks is an awesome slide player.

That sounds awesome and I love that song. Im going to see Clapton in October Im pretty excited.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Clapton in September Can't Wait!

I saw Derek Trucks with the ABB in there annual Beacon Theater run. I was awestruck. He is truly an amazing guitarist and musician. If any of you have the chance to go to one of his shows, do it! It will change your life.
I thought The Allman Brothers Live at Beacon Theatre had some nice slide from both Derek and Warren Haynes. As for an album, I liked Songlines, but it's my only album of him. I really need more.
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

Quote by Zcaithaca
Clapton in September Can't Wait!

I saw Derek Trucks with the ABB in there annual Beacon Theater run. I was awestruck. He is truly an amazing guitarist and musician. If any of you have the chance to go to one of his shows, do it! It will change your life.

How many of the dates did you go to?
I jiust went to one...we actually bought tickets for tuesday but we were sent tickets for monday. It was too bad because tuesday they played the At Fillmore East CD, one i would have loved to hear live again. But we met some people that had gone for every single concert...thats dedication!
My favourite Trucks songs personally are "So Close, So Far Away" and "Young Funk". The guitar playing on both of them is just insanly good.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
I would get the new CD, i've heard it, and it's amazing.
i'll find my way is such an amazing song.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
I think it rocks that Derek Trucks is touring with Clapton. I'll be seeing them in late September . The two of them are phenoms on a guitar and fate has finally gotten them together.

I wonder if Clapton will ever bring Derek and the Dominoes back together. That would truly rock, with Trucks taking over for Duane.

Long live Clapton
Marshall 8240 Valvestate combo from 1986
Crate X15R
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech Screamin' Blues
went and saw the allman brothers and derek trucks at the beacon theatre in New York not so long ago...went backstage and talked to derek trucks, he's a nice guy....