Page 1 of 2
Often different punk bands sound alot alike or majority of there songs sound the same, so there isn't that much distinctive sound difference in much of the music. So what is it that makes you attracted to a certain band or song? I mean, alot of them just use the same formula, rhythm, drum beat but they just have different melodic melodies.

So yeah, what makes you like what you like exactly?

For me I like bands that just sing about fun or humurous (Vandals) or the kind that has enery that makes you want to get up and move (Dropkick Murphys) OR kinds that have unique singers (Bouncing Souls, Planet Smashers).
Energy, Passion, Creativity, Rawness, are all some of the main elements that make good punk songs.

Although there are many more things that can make a song appeal to me. For instance, I like Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers' "Why do Fools Fall in love" purely for the sax solo.

Lyrical content isn't always a main consideration for me, but when the lyrics are good it certainly helps a songs case.

Another example: Psycho by the Sonics isn't exatly brilliant poetry, but Gerry Roslie's mind blowing screams and the fury the band plays with makes up for that. In fact that is another solo I really enjoy.
Last edited by Iluvpowerchords at Jul 28, 2006,
Quote by guitardude98
there's no such thing as a good punk band

Shut up and go masturbate to a Led Zeppelin record. Or die, that would be good too.

Anyway, the same things make a punk band good as what make other bands good. As long as it sounds good, it's good.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Energy, Passion, Creativity, Rawness, are all some of the main elements that make good punk songs.

You basically nailed it.

Edit: There's lots of other things too, but those points are enough to make a song very good.
Quote by guitardude98

I really hope you die.
Good lyrics, no bullshiit.
Chord progressions that I can dig. Maybe even some complex musical writing here and there. But I mostly listen to punk for the lyrics and raw energy.
Quote by RockThe40oz
I only like bands with good rep that will get me lots of street cred.

wooohoo high five
its a global massacre
Haha, is it just me or is this a dumb question? It's just like asking what makes any band good or what makes so and so genre good? Whats the meaning of life?
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
something different or that started something. (examples= misfits, vandals, ramones, bad religion)
L E T S G O F U C K I N C R A Z Y ! ! ! !

When I think about it, all my favourite punk bands have really distinctive vocalists; Bad Brains, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Misfits, etc.
Quote by indestructible8
hating the government is number 1

That's actually the number one way for a band to go stale. You can only hear rants about the government so many times before you just wanna hang yourself.

Edit: Indestructible, what part of Pittsburgh do you live in? I used to live around there.
for me, i like bands with cool names that will look sweet on my jacket
The holy Trinity:

1. Cool name
2. Real lyrics
3. Thunders guitar
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
When they split up joking lol....i suppose its just creativity and being genuine, and not trying to to mainstream like.....greenday.... eugh.
One thing that will make me hate a band faster then anything, is politics. I hate political music. It's a cause with no end or point.
Hence the love of modern "so-called" ska music, which barring a few Specials songs, is largely apolitical.

Original ska lyrics, on the other hand, often dealt with socio-political rhetoric.

Which furthers my lifelong belief that rich white people should stop stealing and ruining poor black people's music.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Quote by johnnynemo
Hence the love of modern "so-called" ska music, which barring a few Specials songs, is largely apolitical.

Original ska lyrics, on the other hand, often dealt with socio-political rhetoric.

Which furthers my lifelong belief that rich white people should stop stealing and ruining poor black people's music.

There is many ska bands that I don't like.

Many of those are political.
I like a Unique lyrical style, not just ranting about Anarchy or Bush. So many have Bandwagoned it.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
I prefere bands that dont use politcal lyrics. They get so boring sometimes because alot of bands don't really mean what they sing. Also i dont really like hardcore punk.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.
Lyrics, sound, and performance, also they need to have a good message....
Originally Posted by guitardude98

Shut up and go masturbate to a Led Zeppelin record. Or die, that would be good too.

i agree. what a faggot

good punk...catchy chorus, the start of something like a revolution, good stuff to get in the pit and have a good time
Quote by Chaise Boogie

So yeah, what makes you like what you like exactly?

The fact that I like it, maybe?

I mean, I don't like walking around getting punched in the face.
But hey, that's just me....
Some people are into that stuff.
No one should have to explain their preference, or be scrutenized for it.
(Then again, if you want to, that's your prerogative, and my point)

But yes,
Quote by sargasm
Drag makes bands good.

Circle that A, motherfucker!
Energy, originality, a distinct sound, rawness, all instruments having an equal share, anything from silly to scathing lyrics, and most importantly: Being fun to listen to.
Not being The Casualties is the foundation for all good punk bands.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Not being The Casualties is the foundation for all good punk bands.

i must be the only guy in this place that still likes the casualties

i know that alot of you have liked them at one point!
I think there's a law somewhere that states that anyone who's interested in joining the punk scene or becoming more immersed in punk bands in general has to like The Casualties for an unspecified length of time. It's sort of like self-inflicted hazing.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Last edited by CowsWithGuns at Jul 29, 2006,
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I think there's a law somewhere that states that anyone who's interested in joining the punk scene or becoming more immersed in punk bands in general has to like The Casualties for an unspecified length of time. It's sort of like self-inflicted hazing.

Words of wisdom indeed, cowswithguns

But hey, i saw them live in a venue(not warped tour bs)

they are really good and fun live!

ya gotta admit if youve seen them live
Page 1 of 2