Alright so a local bandis considering adding another guitarist and asked me to fill the spot if they do choose to do so

They're kind of a pop punk/post hardcore band so I can play well enough without a doubt but I was wondering what kind of theory might be useful to help write songs for two guitars

I'm mostly a metal fan but I do listen to a lot of other stuff and if I do join this band it will only be temporary to get expierence (they're really well known locally and play semi-large shows) so I want something that would be useful for writting in both genres

I know basic theory but I'm still having problems appling it so any help with any of the above would be awesome
You like metal, eh? Maybe you could combine an Iron Maiden/Queensryche/whatever harmony kind of thing into pop-punk songs.

I'll find the harmonizing lesson for you. Just hang on.
harmonizing with the vocals is a good thing to try as a punk lead guitarist. so if the other guitarist is playing the powerchords generally associated with punk, your lead line over it could harmonize with the vocals. add a few fills in when the singer pauses for a breath, and youve shown your metal influence on a punk song. for punk tho i personally think that the vocals are the main focus, so get creative but dont show off too too much.
Quote by jof1029
harmonizing with the vocals is a good thing to try as a punk lead guitarist. so if the other guitarist is playing the powerchords generally associated with punk, your lead line over it could harmonize with the vocals. add a few fills in when the singer pauses for a breath, and youve shown your metal influence on a punk song. for punk tho i personally think that the vocals are the main focus, so get creative but dont show off too too much.

Sounds like what I had in mind basically

thanks to everyone

and why is it that questions really only semed to get answered in musicians talk?

O and that harmonizing lesson really kicks ass I don't have time to read it and digest it all properly right now but from what I've looked at it's really good
Last edited by ifeastonbums at Jul 28, 2006,