Page 1 of 2
A lot of bassists now a days are playing with more effects

I was just wondering if you(the people of UG) play with bass effects and what effects do you use for what genere of music

I use a: Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss CEB-3 Bass Chours
Boss OC-3 Super Octave
for a metal/hardcore/experimental....(i like boss)
Quote by LeoKhenir
I love you, Killer Bacon.
I use

Tech 21 Sansamp PBDR Bass Driver DI
Digitech Bass Chorus
Morley Black Gold Variable Wah/Volume
for hard rock
I use an Ibanez PD7 Phat Hed.

I plan on selling it to go for a EHX Metal Muff.

My dream effects rig would be:

Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner > ISP Decimator > Aphex Punch Factory > Digitech Whammy (WH-4) > Ibanez Weeping Demon (WD-7) > EHX Little Big Muff > EHX English Muff'n > EHX USA Big Muff > EHX Russian Big Muff > EHX Metal Muff > Tech21 SansAmp Tri-A.C. > Dunlop Dimebag Darrell Crybaby From Hell > Boss DD6

Yeah, I find it necessary to have 6 distortions. Bite me.
haha
I have a Digitech BP200 (expression pedal)...I dont like however it was a gift and it will do until
i save up and can buy A Boss Chorus effect and Overdrive.
IF YOU CANT BEAT UM, JOIN UM....and THEN WHEN THEY ARE ALL COZZY, BEAT THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF THEM AND TELL EVERYONE YOU DID IT RESPECTFULLY
I have an ODB-3, a BF-2B flanger, a snarling dogs bawl buster bass wah, Dunlop 105Q bass wah, a DOD FX25B envelope, and probably something else Im forgetting that I dont use that often. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I use a Ibanez PD7 distortion and a Crybaby 1O5Q Bass wah in my Hard rock/Progressive rock band.
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
Electric Bass-->Boss Bass EQ-->EHX Double Muff (I usually keep it on, set to 1, for a growly sound)--> Ibanez Weeping Demon (set to guitar mode, surprisingly)-->Line 6 Echo Park (rarely use it, but I do now and then)-->SWR LA15

Oh yeah, I play for a hip-hop band with a guitarist, drummer and rapper. And I do my own stuff, of course.
bass --> Boss Octave --> Ernie Ball Volume Pedal --> Danelectro Vibrato --> Line 6 Delay Modeler --> amp

or if I am in a hurry...

bass --> amp

I'd like to get that Zoom b2.1u at some point... It would save me from lugging around a bunch of pedals.
I have a marshall guv'nor, q-tron, limiter and a morely wah

i rarely use any of them apart from the limiter. sometimes a slight distortion to growl it up a bit, but only in the low end
Digi Bass Squeeze->Behringer Tube Emulator ($30 dollar pedal makes a world of difference)->Digi Bass Driver

I want to have..
Tech 21 Bass Driver (the purple one), Sansamp Programmable 3-Channel Bass Driver(mmmmmmmmm), Dunlop Bass Wah, Fulltone Bass Driver, Ampeg Scrambler (that fuzz pedal Ampeg makes), a custom built Bass tube overdrive/distortion pedal ( I've seen guitar ones, why not bass?), MXR Blowtorch overdrive pedal, Radial Tonebone Bassbone, Boss Flanger ( I kind of have one, it's my guitarists, but it's been at my house for months )

I love distortion pedals.
Metal knows where it's at.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
All i have currently is a Digitech BP80 with the expression pedal, and a Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal. I'm thinking of getting a compressor, and maybe a noise gate if i start using my distortion more. but right now im saving up for my bass instructor's black ibanez SR406 so money is a little tight
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by hatebreed219
Digi Bass Squeeze->Behringer Tube Emulator ($30 dollar pedal makes a world of difference)->Digi Bass Driver

I want to have..
Tech 21 Bass Driver (the purple one), Sansamp Programmable 3-Channel Bass Driver(mmmmmmmmm), Dunlop Bass Wah, Fulltone Bass Driver, Ampeg Scrambler (that fuzz pedal Ampeg makes), a custom built Bass tube overdrive/distortion pedal ( I've seen guitar ones, why not bass?), MXR Blowtorch overdrive pedal, Radial Tonebone Bassbone, Boss Flanger ( I kind of have one, it's my guitarists, but it's been at my house for months )

Hells yes dude, a Fulltone Bass Driver would be sweet.
haha
I have a boss bf-3 flanger and I'm hoping to get an overdive/distortion pedal, or sticking with the flanger and save up for a new bass.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner > ISP Decimator > Aphex Punch Factory > Digitech Whammy (WH-4) > Ibanez Weeping Demon (WD-7) > EHX Little Big Muff > EHX English Muff'n > EHX USA Big Muff > EHX Russian Big Muff > EHX Metal Muff > Tech21 SansAmp Tri-A.C. > Dunlop Dimebag Darrell Crybaby From Hell > Boss DD6

Yeah, I find it necessary to have 6 distortions. Bite me.

Maybe 6 distortions, but 5 muffs??

That sounds awsome!

I have a Big Muff Pi, and a Digitech BP200, which I rarely use.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live...

Since the day I bought that, my other effects have been lying around somewhere (I'm not sure where).

In my main band which is more rock/blues, I rarely use effects. Perhaps some light fuzz or some nice chorus and occasionally an auto-wah.

With this next band I'm in, which is more indie, I use distortion (especially for dancey tracks to give a synth like feel), flanger, delays and sometimes all at the same time.

The amount and type of effects I use I think is down to the guitarist I play with. The first band has a very busy guitarist and drummer, so I have to hold everything down more, whereas in the second band the guitarist doesn't do much so I have a lot more space to fill.
Its funny how alot of you say you have these effects but rarely use them. I'm exactly the same. I have an Ibanez PH7 (which I do actually use alot), Dunlop CryBaby Bass (which I never use, complete waste of time regardless of it being awesome) and a Zoom 708II (which I only use as a volume pedal if at all, it's plugged into my guitar currently).

I'm hoping to get Russian Big Muff, EQ pedal of some sort (I'm constantly fiddling with my amp to get a bass tone, then a treble tone etc (the joys on having a passive bass)) and then get a synth pedal or evenlope filter. I really want a pedal that can create the type of synth bass sound that you get in Dance/Trance music. So impossibly low and synthy that it makes your tummy rumble!!
Then again, I could just save for a POD and start the whole MIDI approach to things

Whats the Tech 21 Sansamp PBDR Bass Driver DI like? I heard the guy from Muse uses one exclusivly to get awesome distrotion on his vocals.
i don't own any effects i plan on buying a line 6 pod so i can just create my own effects...
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Marshall Guv'nor, Crybaby 105Q.

I have a chorus (supervie) but i never use it.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by Fozzie3000
Dunlop CryBaby Bass (which I never use, complete waste of time regardless of it being awesome)

you interested in selling that?

*has spent too much time "window-shopping" on the Talkbass classifieds*

<EDIT> NVM man, I just looked at your location and you're in England, I'm in the states...I was half-kidding about the sale thing too..

I dont have any effects except my Digitech Death Metal distortion which I use only when playing my RG and a BP80 that I only use for its subpar whammy capabilities... I have trouble fitting effects into my songs so I dont use them much...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 28, 2006,
I use an obd-3, a 535q wah pedal (old school model with LEDs), and thats about it.
Its better to regret the things you did, rather than the things you didnt do.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Maybe 6 distortions, but 5 muffs??

That sounds awsome!

Seriously bro 8-)

Well, the Russian Muff has the really fuzzy sound, the USA has the more articulate fuzz/overdriven sound, the little big muff is small enough to fit in w/ a regular board (The bigger muffs would be somewhere else... a side, muff ruled board, the metal muff has distortion and the top boost, and the english muff'n is really warm or something.

Anyways, the Metal Muff is the only one I'm REALLY interested in so far, and then maybe later on a US one.
haha
Cry Baby > soon to get a Big Muff.....

*Wishes he had the big muff now *
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
English Muffin=driven by a 12AY7 tube->12AX7 tube. so it has that warm, tube driven sound.

I'm assuming the Metal Muff has a harsher, more brutal distortion, probably gives that chugging style scooped distortion pretty easily. it has a top boost function which is where it's name comes from, it's not a full on top boost.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Last edited by hatebreed219 at Jul 28, 2006,
The Metal Muff is distortion, with contourable mids. The top boost function is made for soloing. What I used to have to do was run my GK's OD for normal riffing and stuff, and then have to use my PD7 as a hi-end only addition. The Metal Muff puts it all into one pedal, you can go from chuggy low-mid heavy stuff to adding a LOT of hi gain treble for soloing.

Pretty sweet pedal.
haha
I personally think that distortion is overrated as an effect for guitar and for bass. It's a nice effect--just overused and abused by many a youth wanting to make a "new" statement in music.

I've been to many jam sessions where novice "show-off" guitarists (the ones who have no ensemble chops) were told to leave or turn off their distortion boxes. That sound is all about "in your face" attitude, and most ensemble players get bored of that sound pretty quickly. What impresses me more are guitarists who can play tastefully with different effects, and can give enough room in the sound spectrum for other musicians to spread out and explore. Distortion really takes up a lot of sound spectrum space, and some music is great for it--just not all music.

Jack Casady is a legendary bassist who used distortion wisely--just a touch of overdrive to give his basstone a little warmth, snarl, and nastiness. Nothing wrong with that. But having a bass or guitar player use full-on distortion all the time would be annoying--it would be like throwing in a bucketful of salt into a soup to make it taste better. I guess it depends on taste...

I know I will eat my words someday when I get my bass amp--I will probably dabble with distortion on bass too, but I doubt I will use it for everything I play. Maybe just a touch of overdrive, like Casady...
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
all the pedals i have now are listed in my sig. but i am soon going to get a roland mini bass synth.
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
I don't use any, really...just a Danelectro FAB Metal distortion i mooched off my old guitarist. He's in Germany now. I don't even use that very much...however, I desperately want one of those BBE Sonic Maximizer stompboxes.

-Roy
Current Bassist and Vocalist for The Illegal Exploits

Gear
2004 Fender Jazz
1978 Peavey Centurion MkIII
1975 MusicMan GH115
2008 Acoustic B410

My band
Purevolume
How do you go about making a pedal board? I mean, I know you can but ones like the Boss one and Digitech ones but I mean like the ones you would use of stage. How would you link them all close together without having to be super careful where you stomp? And how do you manage to power all of them without buying a AC brick? (they take up alot of room from the pics I seen of them) Is it better to mount them at angles, include a light, based on wood etc etc?

Might be getting a Russian Big Muff, Wanna get that Hysteria type of distortion, would I get that style of distortion using a Russian Big Muff?
should I sell my BF-3 flanger for something else, like the ibanez flanger/chorus thing?
Boss Bass Overdrive > DOD Delay/Sampler > Ibanez Chorus/Flanger

First I'm looking to replace the OD with a Muff of some kind or something less noisy and bad sounding. Then some modulation, a better delay, and eventually a pitch shifter, an EHX POG would be awesome.
Bass Driver
Bass Chorus
DigiDelay
Bass Synth

All Digitech

EDIT: I also have a volume pedal and a selector switch. Both I made myself. I also have a tuner and octave switch built into one of my amps.
Last edited by JMack at Aug 2, 2006,
I'm thinkin' about gettin a ZoomB2 expression pedal but I have $170 at my expense what do ya'll suggest?
J. L.
Quote by hatebreed219

I want to have..

How's the SansAmp?
I said "want to have"

But hopefully I'll have it soon and I'll let you know, I've heard only good things about that pedal. A lot of professionals use them and swear by them.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff, Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, a Digitech Bass Squeeze pedal, and a Behringer 7-band eq if i'm not playing through my amp.
Co-Founder of the Midnight Sunday Mad Squad. PM Me to join.

Quote by goods2006
"OOOOOH AN ELECTRICAL OUTLET!!!!!!, LETS SEE HOW LONG WE CAN SHOCK OURSELVES FOR BEFORE WE DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
boss:
psm-5
ce-2
od-1
bf-2
oc-2
dm2

electro harmonix:
electric mistress

dod:

i have all of those and i have spent $0
dollars on my effects because i took them from my dad muhahahahahahah
except for the 440 that was a gift
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live...

Since the day I bought that, my other effects have been lying around somewhere (I'm not sure where).

I have the same effect pedal, and i have to say that it will be the only one i will ever need
Fender Jazz -> Line 6 Bass Podxt Live -> SWR Working Man

I know you like it
used to have a zoom 607B multi (crap), now i use a boss mt-2 (yeah, i know its not for bass), only in intros and solos, when our guitarist uses clean sound (or when i go crazy and need a strange noise)
planning to get a cry, maybe wah
Quote by UtBDan
I have an ODB-3, a BF-2B flanger, a snarling dogs bawl buster bass wah, Dunlop 105Q bass wah, a DOD FX25B envelope, and probably something else Im forgetting that I dont use that often. lol

How are the Snarling Dog effects? At the moment I have a set of their strings and they have done me well so far.

Anyway, I have a Boss SD1 Super Overdrive that I use rarely at the moment, but it is only because I don't have enough leads. I would love a Moogerfooger and a good Bass chorus (sometimes I use a Boss CE5 Chorus Ensemble, but as it is built for guitar, the low notes get bugger all of the effect).
Page 1 of 2