Page 1 of 2
Let me first start out by saying I have NO experience playing any guitar, but I do have the dedication to practice and learn. Hence the reason for me posting this.

I apologize if this is the incorrect forum but seeing as how this is the Electric Guitar forum I felt it would be appropriate.
As I just stated I would love to learn how to play, but I lack the idea on where to start. My most important question being, what guitar/amp do you recommend for a complete newb like myself? Of course when I look online I find plenty of "beginner packages", but I am assuming that the low cost also reflects on how well it plays. I am looking for any and all information that this great forum will be willing to provide and any info is greatly appreciated.

I have many more question. but I think this is the most important as of now, if you wish to ask me anything please feel free to. I do look forward to your replies.

-Pablo
DOOOONT buy a pack.
It'll discourage you with such a sucky guitar.
Your price range and intended genres would be helpful.
Ill make a generous assumption and say you want less then 500 dollars for a guitar and amp.
In that case.
Yamaha pacifica.
Used peavey, fender or marshall combo amp.

Reliable and good for the money brands to check out.
Schecter.
Fender mexican.
Epiphone's upper models.
Ibanez's mid-high end models.
Vox ADVT50's are nice amps.
Crates.

If you can afford more, I'd get a 1-12 tube amp, and a mexican fat strat. That'll pretty much set you up for anything but super heavy metal.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Gotta tell us your budget and your style and where you live.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Oh, that would be very helpful I'm sure, hehe.

As far as budget, anything within the $500 range is preferred, but cheaper is always better.

I am interested in mainly playing rock, classic rock, pop and maybe down the line some metal.

I currently reside in the state of Wisconsin, as far as large dealers nearby, I do have a Guitar Center about 4 miles away. www.guitarcenter.com
i actually got one of those "beginner packs" it was great for learning but as i got better i up graded my equipment whenever i had enough money saved, that might be a good idea

and oh yeah use your pinky as much as possible, i wish somebody woulda told me that
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
ZACH_F , dude, hes never even touched a guitar and ur telling him to buy a tube amp and high end ibanez?

Threadstarter, 500$ budget? - Ibanez RG321MH and Roland Micro Cube for an amp
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
yep, give a price range. and be careful because you don't want a really bad cheap starter pack but you don't want to dump too much money into gear right now either. get something not too expensive now because later you'll have a much better idea what you want.
Quote by vantage4
yep, give a price range. and be careful because you don't want a really bad cheap starter pack but you don't want to dump too much money into gear right now either. get something not too expensive now because later you'll have a much better idea what you want.

I was considering starting out with a decent pack if possible and the moving up, any ideas on at least a decent pack?
Roland Micro Cube and an Agile Les Paul 3000
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Getting shitty gear will discourage you from playing, because it'll sound terrible.

Why don't you just go down to that Guitar Center, and play around with some guitars and amps, and see which one's you think sound best?
Well, definately do not get a beginner pack thing, that would be most illadvised. I think in your price range there are a fair number of decent guitars that you could look at. A good hint of a guitar NOT to get is if the body is Agathis. NEVER GET AGATHIS! The Schecter Damien 6 or Omen 6 are in your price range I believe. If those aren't your style you could look at the Yamaha Pacifica or a MIM (Made in Mexico) fender..

Quote by kiefermatot
Getting shitty gear will discourage you from playing, because it'll sound terrible.

Why don't you just go down to that Guitar Center, and play around with some guitars and amps, and see which one you think sounds best?

This is also a good idea, because no matter what we say, it will all come down to your own preference.

Thats the extent of my knowledge...someone bigger and badder will probably refute me.
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
Quote by Araelius
I was considering starting out with a decent pack if possible and the moving up, any ideas on at least a decent pack?

GO with my suggestion bro, the 321MH is a 600$ guitar rolled into a 280$ price tag.... THe roland cube is by far the best amp in its price range...

At that, you'll have 100 dollars left over at least, and have the best guitar and amp within that pricerange.... WAY better than any starter pack.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
What??? a cube??

he said maybe a little metal in the future...

Vox advt30 with a mex strat/fat strat
He didnt give a price range : P.
I know a guy who went out an bought an SG for his first guitar.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Last edited by edwardthegreat5 at Jul 28, 2006,
i would get the Ibanez IJS40 Jumpstart Electric Guitar Pack but to give u options the Squier Strat Pack is good and so is the B.C. Rich Metal Master Pack
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
Quote by pearlJam_31490
i would get the Ibanez IJS40 Jumpstart Electric Guitar Pack but to give u options the Squier Strat Pack is good and so is the B.C. Rich Metal Master Pack

Please be kiddng..please...

I think ClassicAxe is the one to listen to..
Quote by BeefWellington

Interesting question...
^^ not too shabby edwardthegreat

but no to the schecter.

why not just get a strat?
Quote by JET116
^^ not too shabby edwardthegreat

but no to the schecter.

why not just get a strat?

He could do that, I didn't get too much into guitars, but he should definatly buy all the other stuff, wouldn't it suck to have just bought your first guitar, but can't even get started because you have no Idea how to tune or being able to plug in?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Wow, thanks for all the great replies so far, please feel free to continue contributing. The more options the better.
yeah

just make it the Avt30 its got a better speaker and will last so much longer
Get the Epi LP II pack, honestly.

Don't buy a stupid knockoff Strat, don't even buy a strat. You're not gunna get the hand strength as a beginner, honestly you should buy a cheap acoustic and a tuner, and work from there. But if you're like me, and want to start off with an electric, go with the pack. The LP is a heavy, thick guitar in all ways possible, and it'll just make you a better player in the long run rather than starting off with some wimpy Strat or a toothpick Ibanez neck. Not only that but the pack comes with a tuner, cord, picks, video, and all that crap, literally everything to get you playing is in the box. Not to mention it's super cheap so if you find out it's not for you, you didn't blow too much cash.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
I just started playing guitar a few months ago and started on acoustic. Once I found out that I really wanted to learn, I moved on to an electric. The electric I got to learn on is an Epiphone G-310. It's not the best out there, but for $200 I think it's a really good deal. For an amp I have a Vox DA15. I'm really liking the amp, and it's pretty cheap too, only $160. This might not be right for you, but I really like what I have. Here's links for the stuff...

Guitar - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G310-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518280

Amp - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA15-Guitar-Amp?sku=482641
Realisticly (That has to be spelled wrong...), you should buy an acoustic so you don't have to worry about crappy equipment. Once you get the basics down, then you can put down some money to buy decent electric equipment and have good sound.

I would buy some sort of Washburn or Epiphone because they are cheap and realiable.

(How dare I say this in an electric guitar forum...)
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

well man as far as amps go the roland cube amps are supposed to be very good. another one to look at would be vox's valvetronic amps, i've got a vox ad30vt and it's awesome, great for classic rock but very versatile. either that or the cube would be a good choice but check them out at guitar center, preferably with a friend who plays so he can show you the features on them both.

amps are hard to mess up, most good ones are pretty versatile. guitars are tougher. you can't just find "a good one," because so much is personal preference and you're not going to feel as much difference without playing for a little while. a cheap strat would be a good choice though. a few hundred dollars is the very most you'll want to spend, most people spend less than that.
Quote by HavokStrife

Don't buy a stupid knockoff Strat, don't even buy a strat. You're not gunna get the hand strength as a beginner, honestly you should buy a cheap acoustic and a tuner, and work from there. But if you're like me, and want to start off with an electric, go with the pack. The LP is a heavy, thick guitar in all ways possible, and it'll just make you a better player in the long run rather than starting off with some wimpy Strat or a toothpick Ibanez neck. Not only that but the pack comes with a tuner, cord, picks, video, and all that crap, literally everything to get you playing is in the box. Not to mention it's super cheap so if you find out it's not for you, you didn't blow too much cash.

And your an idiot.

Next ->
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
there is no since of him dropping 500 bucks on a guitar if he doesnt even know if he likes playing or not. packs r ok for like your first 6 months to a year of playing guitar than when u get more serious they are pointless cause the amps blow and the guitar wont do what u want so if u sure u want to play guitar i would just get a fender squier or something make sure its american cause korean squiers suck mexican and american squiers are good though and get a cheap 30 watt amp. i got a crack 30 watt amp for like 50 bucks and a fender squier guitar for like 150 so its cheap and will be good for a beginner.
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
Quote by ClassicAxe
And your an idiot.

Next ->

He has a point. He's not saying it's the best out there, he's saying it'll help him in the long run.
Quote by ClassicAxe
And your an idiot.

Next ->

Holy crap...

Wow...

Thank you ClassicAxe!
- FJ

If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by HavokStrife

hehe you're stupid btw
Quote by TheAdict310
He has a point. He's not saying it's the best out there, he's saying it'll help him in the long run.

But an LP isn't gonna help you any more than a Strat...
- FJ

I've never played an LP or a Strat, but aren't Les Pauls really heavy, and don't they have thick necks? I'm not sure about any of this, but if it's true, then after learning on that, playing on something light with a thin neck would be simple.
ok last post and im done. as u see no one agrees on the type of guitar so the best thing to do is go to your music center play all the cheaper priced guitars and find one u like but dont settle . if u like the squiers or w/e than i would get the pack cause it comes with literally ecerything u need but if not just buy a guitar amp and tuner u like until u know what you really want.
Quote by pearlJam_31490
ok last post and im done. as u see no one agrees on the type of guitar so the best thing to do is go to your music center play all the cheaper priced guitars and find one u like but dont settle . if u like the squiers or w/e than i would get the pack cause it comes with literally ecerything u need but if not just buy a guitar amp and tuner u like until u know what you really want.

He said he's never played before, so he wouldn't even know what to look for when picking a guitar.
Quote by TheAdict310
I've never played an LP or a Strat, but aren't Les Pauls really heavy, and don't they have thick necks? I'm not sure about any of this, but if it's true, then after learning on that, playing on something light with a thin neck would be simple.

Well, I find Strats to fit the same characteristic. They are a little lighter, but they also have a thick neck.
- FJ

It is probably a good idea that I start off small just in case I am just flat out horrible. Although, I am greatful to have a good list to come back to in the future.
Quote by flyingjew34
Well, I find Strats to fit the same characteristic. They are a little lighter, but they also have a thick neck.

I wish now that I would have spent a little more money and bought a Standard Fat Strat .
Quote by TheAdict310
He said he's never played before, so he wouldn't even know what to look for when picking a guitar.

thats y i suggested a pack but no one here listens and thinks its a good ideal so im try ti be open minded and give him other ideals the the fender squier pack is for sure the way to go cause its cheap and coems with everything u need and even if u hate playing than atleast you didnt waste 500 bucks for nothing. he only wasted 200-300. lol
Quote by pearlJam_31490
thats y i suggested a pack but no one here listens and thinks its a good ideal so im try ti be open minded and give him other ideals the the fender squier pack is for sure the way to go cause its cheap and coems with everything u need and even if u hate playing than atleast you didnt waste 500 bucks for nothing. he only wasted 200-300. lol

I agree 100% with you. It would suck horribly to blow $500 on something that you find out a week later you hate. I think either an acoustic or a starter pack would be the way to go. Either that, or pick out a very cheap guitar and a very cheap amp.
Page 1 of 2