I know that modes are generally supposed to be played over certain types of chords to really emphasize their respective sounds, but which modes, if any, would sound good over an E5 D5 A5 progression?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I know that modes are generally supposed to be played over certain types of chords to really emphasize their respective sounds, but which modes, if any, would sound good over an E5 D5 A5 progression?
It depends on what you think of as your key. E and A could both be the key for that.
Well...looks like any of the A Minor mode...cause of the flatted third there with the D. So I guess A Aeolian, A Dorian, A Phygrian.

If it's in the key of A of course, but it sure sounds it.
id go E mixolydian but thats just me
Dave Mustaine: "I like jazz, but I could never play it. You just sit there with a guitar the size of a Chevy on your chest, wearing a stupid hat, playing the same solo for an hour. "
Quote by wasp2020
Well...looks like any of the A Minor mode...cause of the flatted third there with the D. So I guess A Aeolian, A Dorian, A Phygrian.

If it's in the key of A of course, but it sure sounds it.
There's no C in there!

I like E Mixolydian for that. You could also go A Ionian or A Mixolydian. Both of those could work. It sounds like a major progression, so I wouldn't sugggest minor modes.

I don't hear it in D.
Another question: How would I go about applying modes over each individual chord. Since powerchords are neither major or minor, would any of the modes be suitable, or none of them?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
notes in there are A, B, D, E.. C major, D major, G major, A major are the keys in which u may play. Try out modes in those keys...

I think pentatonic would sound better.

Edit : try A major
Last edited by winkybear at Jul 28, 2006,
Quote by winkybear
notes in there are A, B, D, E.. C major, D major, G major, A major are the keys in which u may play. Try out modes in those keys...

I think pentatonic would sound better.

I dislike the pentatonic scale. The intervals are too wide, it's almost impossible to build up and release tension. I cann't the sound of it in general.
You can use any mode that contains those notes - E, B, A, D. If you hear it centerd on the E5 chord you could use E mixolydian, E minor, E dorian, or E phrygian.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
Quote by Archeo Avis

it looks like that would be a V-IV-I in the key of A, so i would say any mode in the key of A would probably work as long as it contains those 3 notes..... A,D & E
Quote by Archeo Avis
I dislike the pentatonic scale. The intervals are too wide, it's almost impossible to build up and release tension. I cann't the sound of it in general.

have you ever heard crossroads by cream? or the this -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptg8bl4h074&search=clapton%20i%20shot%20the%20sheriff

clapton mostly uses the pentatonic and i think he can build up his solos very well.
well personally i think one of the great things about power chords is that you are only playing the ist and fifth notes of the scale so you can play around with different modes to make it sound major/minor as you please!
^Agreed.

You could actually just go with the mood of the lyrics when soloing over the power chords.
If you want to make a major or minor choice at either point in the progression, Root-Third diads(sp) work fine as well, to change the sound.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
Quote by Ethicdoom
^Agreed.

You could actually just go with the mood of the lyrics when soloing over the power chords.
If you want to make a major or minor choice at either point in the progression, Root-Third diads(sp) work fine as well, to change the sound.

No lyrics. I play intrumental.
Hhhmmm...
Well, is there any kind of mood you are going for?
Modal playing really is a way to express yourself more.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

...and don't sig me.
Quote by Ethicdoom
Hhhmmm...
Well, is there any kind of mood you are going for?
Modal playing really is a way to express yourself more.

Sort of a majestic and joyous feeling. I can already picture the main melody in my head, I just don't want to be playing around aimlessly. I'm leaning heavily towards lydian, if it would work over that progression
Lydian should work.

Satch and Vai are fans of lydian.
Go for D lydian, which is also A major.

Basically, A maj over A5, D Lyd over D5, and to stay in the key of A, you can use E Mix over E5.
All are derivated (sp) from A maj.

I can't spell today.
Quote by WillPlayForFood

...and don't sig me.
Thank you everyone.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You have to watch out which lydian you use. You couldn't use E lydian. E lydian doesn't have A in it.

I know, thats why I said E Mixloydian.

A major was the main Key I stated.
Quote by WillPlayForFood

...and don't sig me.