EDIT: The cab has a 4 ohm resistance. No clue what that has to do with anything, but I thought it might be important. Also, the cab can handle 260 watts, does that mean I can use any head up to 260 watts with it?

I've been searching around on my local bargainfinder site for an affordable amp that I could gig with. Of course, I'd like it to be useful to me later on when I could maybe afford something better.

I saw an ad for an amp that reads as follows:

"KUSTOM QUAD JR. half stack guitar amplifier. 100 watt solid state head with built in effects. Foot switch for 2 channels and effects. 4x12 cabinet with celestion speakers and wheels. Loud. $450. obo."

It's solid state, and assuming I can bargain the owner down to about $400, this seems like a great deal. Keep in mind, this is in Canadian funds. These amps, new, from musiciansfriend are $550 USD. So, I'd be saving about $230 CAN which seems great.

I have a few questions before I go rushing out to buy it.

1) Would this amp be able to suit hard rock/metal sounds?

2) If I did get a new head in the future (which I probably will), would it also have to be solid state considering that the original amp itself is, or are the tubes themselves contained in the head, meaning I could get a JCM or something like that? (Please be kind, I've never owned a tube amp in my life)

3) Is 100 watts enough for small gigs and band pratice with drums, bass, and possibly another guitarist? I'd assume it would be, but I'd like to know.

Thanks for any answers. Sorry for being a tube-n00b.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
kustom amps are crap, ive got one and their only good for starter practice amps, get something like a line6 spider II or Roland cube, much better amps
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

I've played on the Kustom Quad 100 and 200 heads, and I find that for solid state amps, they're pretty damn good all around. These amps provide great clean tones, and drive sufficient for the heaviest forms of music. And they come at a price that's ahrd to beat.

I would tend to agree that the small Kustom combos are only suitable for home practice, but their half stacks are actually quite decent in a band situation. I haven't tried the Quad Jr, but apparently it can give an even more brutal distortion sound than the regular quads.

And I know that the Quad 100 half stack sellf for just under $1000 Cdn, so I think in terms of price, that's a steal. If you don't like the amp, you can always sell it back for as much or more than you bought it for.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
kustom amps are crap, ive got one and their only good for starter practice amps, get something like a line6 spider II or Roland cube, much better amps

DO NOT GET A SPIDER II
Yeah don't go for the spider, go for a roland or vox valvetronix, depending on your style. Roland for heavier stuff, vox for classic and lighter styles.
Those new Kustom Coupes are delicious, they kick major ass. The only thing bad is that the '36 Coupe doesn't have reverb (you need to upgrade to the '72).
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Indeed. I tried the Kustom Coupe 72 and I was mighty impressed with it all around. Great clean tones, and totally bitchin' crunch too. Tons of beautiful distortion. I'd buy that amp is I was looking for one. Yeah, it looks gay as hell, but who cares when it sounds that good.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Okay, so this is sounding pretty good at the moment (sorry for the delay, I was on vacation )

That pretty much rounds off my questions about the amp, but I'm still kind of confused about heads, cabs, and stuff like that.

If I were to want to upgrade to a better head later on, would the cab that this deal comes with be suitable for that? What I mean is, does the cabinet have anything to do with an amp being solid state or tube? For example, if I wanted to get a good tube head later on, would I just have to swap out the original head and keep the cabinet?
Rig

i recently picked up a kustom tube 12A. Its awful. the speaker and stuff is ruined, and its brand new out the box! also, it advertises itself as being all tube, but its hybrid...
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
^^To actually awnser your question, yes, that would be fine. And since it has celestions it should sound pretty good. You just have to make sure the ohms match up.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Wayward_Son
^^To actually awnser your question, yes, that would be fine. And since it has celestions it should sound pretty good. You just have to make sure the ohms match up.

Okay, so the cab has a 4 ohm resistance rating. The few heads I've seen on the net have 16 ohm resistances. Is this the trend with all of them? If not, what are some good heads with 4 ohm resistances?
Rig

Quote by x_themetalfan_x
Okay, so the cab has a 4 ohm resistance rating. The few heads I've seen on the net have 16 ohm resistances. Is this the trend with all of them? If not, what are some good heads with 4 ohm resistances?

Most heads that I've seen are selectable between 4, 8, and 16 ohms. If not you might be able to re-wire the speakers differently to change the ohms.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD

Ha the guy that says kustom amps are crap reccomends a spider 2

I have the kustom quad dfx 100 combo and it is extremely loud. I dont know if the head behaves the same way but you really cant get a metal tone out of it without a pedal.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Quote by Wayward_Son
Most heads that I've seen are selectable between 4, 8, and 16 ohms. If not you might be able to re-wire the speakers differently to change the ohms.

That's good. Thanks for the info man.

Quote by cubedeathk
Ha the guy that says kustom amps are crap reccomends a spider 2

I have the kustom quad dfx 100 combo and it is extremely loud. I dont know if the head behaves the same way but you really cant get a metal tone out of it without a pedal.

That shouldn't be a problem, I have a DS-1 that I can get a good enough amount of distortion out of. Oh, and that guy's spider II suggestion is ****ing hilarious.

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll probably give the seller a call some time today and see if I can talk down the price and arrange a pickup date.
Rig