Page 1 of 2
I think this is the right section

So, I'm sick and tired of hearing people just saying the white stripes are c**p with not talent and believing that white stripes are not heavily influenced by the blues.

Now I want to hear from the opinion of actual guitarist what you think of Jack white as a guitarist and song writer.
Last edited by Flea_Is_God at Jul 28, 2006,
I'd much rather listen to The White Stripes (I hate the Reconteurs though) than any shred any day. He's a good songwriter with catchy riffs, and I think that takes more talent than some lame washed-up metal head playing One Million note per minute.

And, did you just censor the word "crap"? Oh my god.
Wade in the water, child.
Quote by AWA
I'd much rather listen to The White Stripes (I hate the Reconteurs though) than any shred any day. He's a good songwriter with catchy riffs, and I think that takes more talent than some lame washed-up metal head playing One Million note per minute.

And, did you just censor the word "crap"? Oh my god.

lol yes I did, I didn't know how this forum responds to swearing
He writes catchy riffs, he's a good musician, a smart one too, has good taste in music, AND, he's an underrated producer.
Quote by Flea_Is_God
lol yes I did, I didn't know how this forum responds to swearing

hahahahahah oh well. atleast youre gonna get a good laugh out of that one in about a week
He is a very good guitar player with alot of good blues influences.
In my opinion he is a very good player, having produced his own signature style and sound and being able to write catchy songs.
Along with what everybody keeps saying how he sucks as a guitar player.
People don't understand that his style is very minimalistic.
Sure he could stand on a stage and solo for 3 hours.

But what people don't seem to understand lately aout guitar playing.
It's not what you play. it's what you don't play that makes you a good player.
Jack definately has the ability to write a good catchy riff and song for sure. Some of his music is a bit oddball, but it works and I think he should be praised as a good guitarist for keeping it simple but effective, rather than over-the-top technique and ability.
i don't like everything he's done, but that doesn't mean i don't think it's good. the man deserves some respect.
hehe now an interesting comparison would be jack white and john frusciante...not that either could win of course
he's ok. the white stripes are not a bad band but I wouldn't call him brilliant or anything. but as far as catchy riffs go they don't get much catchier than "seven nation army"
Quote by Razorhead
but as far as catchy riffs go they don't get much catchier than "seven nation army"

It was the very first song I learn't on guitar
Quote by vantage4
i don't like everything he's done, but that doesn't mean i don't think it's good. the man deserves some respect.

yeah that's what I think.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
He's actually an underated guitarist. He can actually be quite technical (not technical in that way, but live I've seen him bash his way through a few pentatonic solos). He is a good guitar player, full stop.

He gets slated for being very minimalistic, but I think his bluesy playing is great, it's just like primal rock n roll. Great stuff, good singer too, his voice is very hard to imitate.
As much as I agree with someof the statements in this thread about overplaying and such I think the band (WS) is overrated.
I think he is a very talented musician with The White Stripes and The Raconteurs.
The Proverbial Mind Spread of The Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Originally posted by Draken
we're not nerds thank you very much i have a very respectable 40k imperial guard army.
Quote by Abe
good singer too, his voice is very hard to imitate.

Tell me about it! Its immposible
Quote by Bmm386
I love his music.

Technical skill is not needed for the making of good music.

But i do think Jack White has the ability to play extremely well, Meg White is another story.

The thread is titled opinions on jack white

I just listened to black math for the first time in a while and almost creamed my pants in the solo
he's a bit of a pioneer of his genre in a way, a great guitarist and he work so well with meg white. white stries are legends, but the racounteurs(sp?) can go die in a hole... their sound is that of ass hair.
he has great technical skill when playing bluesy songs. like take the song hypnotize for example. he can play good, he just chooses to use a more simplistic approach to his songs. i love the white stripes AND the raconteurs.
EDIT: the song i meant was ball and biscuit not hypnotize.
I was living a lie, now I'm dying to know the truth...
Last edited by Musical Meds at Aug 1, 2006,
^ I find their album mediocre. Not anything less than I expected though. I love the White Stripes though. White Blood Cells has to be one of the greatest albums of the 21st century. Their other albums are really good too, but I don't think they'll ever match that album, seeing as that they peaked at White Blood Cells and have gone consecutively downward since then.

White Blood Cells>Elephant>Get Behind Me Satan>Broken Boy Soldiers

The full discography looks a little like this

White Blood Cells>De Stijl>Elephant>The White Stripes>Get Behind Me Satan>Broken Boy Soldiers

But yeah, Jack White is the man.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
yea, he is definately bashed undeservingly... but i can see how everyone thinks hes overrated, i mean it seems that people i know who dont even know the first thing about any music keep saying how much they love the white stripes, and i get so pissed... not that they dont have a right to listen to what they want, but its like they dont even get anything hes doing. like they dont know about how he views music, why he makes the sound he does, etc... ignorance annoys me.. i also cant wait to get the raconteurs album to see how Jack does with an entire band behind him.. i wonder how he performs after spending so long with just a drummer. although, even though he says the raconteurs arent going to replace the white stripes, i hope they dont intrude on the white stripes' album production.

edit.. BUT I GET SO DAM PISSED! he keeps making songs with alternate tunings!!! it seems i have to re tune my guitar every time i wanna play a good song of his!
either way, i HATE them...even though they are my friends...and then there's my friend who has a sh*t ear for music, and likes the most gay bands ever.. i mean like really crap.. doesnt care about the music, will listen to stuff for a catchy lyric, etc... really stupid.. id hate to put even more emphasis on how crappy his musical preference is, but im going to.. he likes crap that you are just like "why are we still listening to this? it gives no gratification at all.." and hes like "hold on, wait, wait... wait... yea...cool heh?" and im like "wow. he said a lyric... that was k..inda clever.. amazing" BUT enough about that... then he says stuff like "oh yea, Jack white sucks..." and im like "dude... have you no brains? ok if you dont like the sound, but LISTEN! hear that?? hes actually PLAYING the instrument! its not just background for his singing! look! he played a solo! oh look there! he actually added some hammer ons and arpeggio to his chords! amazing! its like he actually knows what that thing in his hands is!" so yea, stuff like that annoys me.
i think hes great. i read an interview with him where he was talking about his airlines guitar, he went on to talk about how alot of people that want to learn guitar go out and buy really nice fenders and then they buy nice combo amps and all these effects. but if you give a kid a beat up 4 string guitar, hes going to learn everything he can on that 4 string. i know in white stripes he used really crappy amps and crappy guitars yet he had great tone, and minimalism can be a very good thing. just because he CAN play like jimmy page or some other great guitarist doesnt mean he has to.
Im not a big fan of the White Stripes but I respect the hell out of Jack White. The dude is incredible at guitar yet he still knows how to keep it simple and catchy.
Quote by vantage4
hehe now an interesting comparison would be jack white and john frusciante...not that either could win of course

John would win hands down im not saying that jack is bad or anything but john is so much better
my gear
Cube 30
sammick strat rip off
schecter C-1 classic diamond series
Peavey JSX combo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.G.E > grunge
Quote by rhcp_fan2210
John would win hands down im not saying that jack is bad or anything but john is so much better

Yeah, seriously. I am a little tired of the Jack White fervor. He is ok. That's it. Not to demean him in anyway. A lot of my favorite artist are just ok. But Frusciante.....Don't get me started. Heh
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
How can you compare Jack White to John Frusciante? They are 2 completly different guitarists. You can't compare them.
Quote by IamAfreak
How can you compare Jack White to John Frusciante? They are 2 completly different guitarists. You can't compare them.

x2

They are both great at what they do but they are two completely different things
Quote by IamAfreak

Sure you can just compare their skills to what they are trying to do. Not to each other. In my opinion Jack White is ok for what he does on guitar where Frusciante is phenominal for what he is trying to do.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Last edited by Liam Alan at Aug 1, 2006,
I'm not trying to bash JW here but, they put one of his albums on the top 100 in the new guitar one mag.......I just don't get it.
^catchy song writing- popularity. its not a bad thing at all, having credible pop musicians who write their own stuff and play their own instruments. quite a rarity in the mainstream. often those mags go on how well people can compose music for the masses not how well they can write 6 hr prog symphonies for guitar snob bores.

in saying that i am a bit of a guitar bore and i like music with a bit of experimentalism and originality. i just find the white stipes and music like that in general gets old a bit fast and inevitably gets played out and ruined on annoying radio stations, b4 u know its your grandmothers whistling seven nation army and you want to strangle jack white with a rusty guitar string. also, when it comes to blues id rather listen to the real thing.
I like both The Raconteurs and The White Stripes, the only thing about Jack White that pisses me off is that his hair straightners are obviously better than mine...wanker.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
i mean it seems that people i know who dont even know the first thing about any music keep saying how much they love the white stripes, and i get so pissed... not that they dont have a right to listen to what they want, but its like they dont even get anything hes doing.

Hey, if his music reaches even the smallest minded of pop radio fans, then by god more power to him. And actually, I think what he's doing is trying to bring his influence of blues and classic rock to the masses, and I think he's done that quite spectaculary. You can't blame people for liking what you and I consider "bad" music. Most people have always liked what the"cool" kids think is stupid and mainstream. For every Beatles, there's a Kinks. For every Zeppelin, there's a Stooges, etc. etc. Of course there will always be overflow between the two. That all the White Stripes are, they'reoverflow in to mainstream.

I for one think that their last three albums are their best, and their all equally good. White Blood Cells is good if you're in a punk mood. Elephant for a classic rock, and Satan for blues/grand piano/marimba mind****.

Jack White is a great guitarist with terrific riffs, don't get me wrong, but as for technical skill and variety of music I'd have to give my award to Frusciante. Everyone can play punk/classic blues rock if you get the feeling down. It takes a little more than feeling to play punk/funk/classic rock/heavy metal all with the delivery Frusciante does. Plus, Frusciante's solos are the only ones in modern rock that can bring a little tear to my eye. As for White's solos, uh, their aren't really enough of them to fairly judge, but they all kinda sound the sameish to me after a while.

And as for his voice, all you gotta do is go really high, give a few cracks here or there(which is inevitable, unless you lost your balls in a tragic prune clipper accident) and every once in a while let out a good ole' fashion "Whoop." Basically, my singing voice is total ripoff of Jack White's.
Last edited by gamayshark at Aug 8, 2006,
I think he's a great guitarist.
The raconteurs are really really good, i didn't think they would be, and they exceeded my expectations, and i really love the white stripes, the new album was yet another great concept.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Quote by trev_smith12
^ I find their album mediocre. Not anything less than I expected though. I love the White Stripes though. White Blood Cells has to be one of the greatest albums of the 21st century. Their other albums are really good too, but I don't think they'll ever match that album, seeing as that they peaked at White Blood Cells and have gone consecutively downward since then.

White Blood Cells>Elephant>Get Behind Me Satan>Broken Boy Soldiers

The full discography looks a little like this

White Blood Cells>De Stijl>Elephant>The White Stripes>Get Behind Me Satan>Broken Boy Soldiers

But yeah, Jack White is the man.

20th century .

And I like the Raconteurs. their very creative in my opinion.
Sent from my iPad.
I've seen videos of him playing slide. He is very good.

I think he writes cool riffs, catchy, too. His music is the perfect mixture of simpleness and catchyness while still maintaining the "not sucky" factor.
Page 1 of 2