Hey, I know you can shred any guitar if your good enough, but I would like to know if a LP would slow me down when trying to shred. I already have my LP, but I was looking at another guitar to compliment it as though i love its sound I was looking at maybe a telecaster, which has the smaller neck but I'm not sure if that neck would be any more shreddable. Any opinions welcomed,
thnx
I'm not sure about how it'l change your shredding ability, but switching to a lighter guitar might help in terms of being able to move it around with more ease.
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
If you want to shred you should probbaly look at a Jackson or a Ibanez. But your right, if your good enough you can shred on anything.

Lol imagine Herman Li shredding a Ukulele.
^he's right look towards a Ibanez or Jackson for shred

a LP could slow you down but it won't stop you from being able to shred
Yeah, the LP's thick neck could slow you, or you could sand it like Zakk Wylde. He's not much of a shredder but it probably works quite well.

The Ibanez and Jackson posts are also going to be helpful for you.
I don't get it, I don't even notice a difference in speed when I play a thin or a fat neck!
On the other hand I don't shred that much...

Strats are very shreddable too, as they say, but I doubt it will make that much of a difference!
ESP EC models are Les Paul shaped, but are a lot better for shredding on than regular LPs.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by maidenfan12
Yeah, the LP's thick neck could slow you, or you could sand it like Zakk Wylde. He's not much of a shredder but it probably works quite well.

You're right. He only got GW's MVP 2 years (?) in a row just because he knows his pentatonics. You obviously know little of his playing, nor have you seen him live. For his own unique style, I say he shreds quite well.

As far as shredding on LPs go, if you have longer fingers or bigger hands, the fatter neck will tend to be more comfortable and thus be easier to shred on for some. An ibanez or jackson would be better for people with smaller or average size hands. It's mostly just how comfortable the neck is. Plus the lp has a painted neck which has the potential to slow you down, though if you don't polish the neck very much you shouldn't notice.
I have a Les Paul and I do some shred on it. In fact, I learned shred on a Les Paul lol. But yeah, usually guitars like Jackson or Ibanez are much better and feel better to use. It's personal preference really, but the Jackson's/Ibanez's are made for shredding. After having used a Les Paul for a while, I was in a guitar center and messin around with shred guitars, and it makes a very noticable difference.
Last edited by drumguyonguitar at Jul 28, 2006,
Quote by lespaulrocks39
You're right. He only got GW's MVP 2 years (?) in a row just because he knows his pentatonics. You obviously know little of his playing, nor have you seen him live. For his own unique style, I say he shreds quite well.

This is true, I don't know much of Zakk's playing, and no, I have never seen him live. I once thought he was amazing, but over time I found him boring. This obviously isn't the case with everyone, and I don't see him as much of a shredder. I don't think that's much of an insulting statement either, but to each his own.

On topic, due to the high frets not being very easy to access at high speeds, it could slow you down a bit at the higher frets. This isn't too important though, as not many people shred at the 22nd fret.
I just don't buy into the "fast neck" myth.

If you happen to like thin necks, you'll probably think all the so-called "shred"
guitars have fast necks. Personally, I don't like thin necks and I don't think they're
"fast" at all. I'm much more comfortable on a medium to thick neck. They don't
slow me down.

Besides, when I look at my own playing, my thumb just lightly rests on the back of
the neck for support. I don't know if people are trying to squash the neck or what.
I find it's much more important that the strings be nice and clean and slidable than
the back of the neck. If the thumb is really pressed into the neck I don't think you
can be very mobile no matter what size the neck is.

So, the short answer to the question, no a Les Paul won't slow you down if you
like that kind of neck and have the ability. Upper fret access is not as good as
other guitars, but I don't think it's as bad as others make it out to be,