hi i hear about these scalloped fretboards, personally i never tried one out or really want one for that matter.

Is there a difference in tone between a regular and a scalloped fretboard?
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
Theres probably a slight difference in tone. Ive never tried one either but one of my buds have. He says it just feels weird. when you slide your fingers up the fretboard, you just feel the metal frets. and if you want to do a bend, you just push your finger down. IMO it must be hard to get used to. but hey if malmsteen can do it, so can we!
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

My Gear :

-Peavey HP Signature EX
-Fender 100H(Head) + Fender FM412 (Cab)
-GBX Custom Bug
-Dunlop Wah Pedal GCB-95
-Marshall GV-2 Plus
-Boss CS-3
-Behringer Digital Reverb DR100
main reason for scalloping is to give a better grip on the string, ie bends vibrato etc become easier and give you far more control. disadvantages is it makes legato and playing fast in general a bit more difficult.

i use it on one of my guitars and its pretty good
Scalloped fretboards actually make playing fast a hell of a lot more difficult, but bends easier (that's the reson malmsteen gives for choosing scalloped necks). As for tone, there is a slight chance, because of the way your fret the note, the string doesn't actually touch the fretboard (this is what makes them hard to play, you need light fingers) which mean your tone is overall a bit more steely, on a neck s/c this results in a very "bell" like tone, on a neck humbucker it's slightly bitier than a normal fretboard. Basically accross all pups you'll find a slight increase in trebles and a more steely sound, but nothing too amazingly different.
Scalloped Fretboards makes fretting the string easier, so it requires a feather light tough or the strings will be bent sharp. Being easier to fret doesn't mean easier to play, neither does harder to fret mean harder to play.

Having scalloped fretboards also alter the tone slightly, making it more metallic, because there is more vibration on the frets than and there is a lighter touch on the finger.

It might also wear out the strings faster if you do crazy bends with them by pushing down on them because it pressing on the fret much harder, especially those thin strings.

If you try to play hammer on and pull off, it's more difficult because too hard of a hammer on again, can make the note sharp.

I'd prefer the highest frets (21-24) to be lightly scalloped because those are the harder frets to fret and can cause quite some trouble if your technique is not correct.
Im gonna clear this up, I have frets 12-24 scalloped on my Ibanez RG as it is my "progressive" guitar. It makes playing fast that much easier as you only have to lightly touch the string in order to sound the note. The same goes with Legato as the note is sounded before it even has to touch the fret board. Bending is not easier despite what many believe however vibrato is wider and quicker as the concept which appeared in the mainstream on Ritchie Blackmoore's strat was derived from violin's. This is evident from their influences as most take note of the baroque musical stylings within central Europe in the 18th century.

The reasons for only scaloping frets 12-24 is that chrodal playin on a scalloped neck is difficult with chords having to be held lightly. Therefore I have the best of both worlds.

In regards to tone, well follow the old fashioned rule, more wood and more string density, the better the tone, take for example a thicker neck on a guitar, generally speaking the sound resonates better on a thicker neck than that of a thinner alterative for example a Les Paul in comparison to an Ibanez with a wizard neck will have a fuller sound.

If you value tone at low gain levels then stick with your current neck, if you value speed then scallop that neck.

Remeber that a scalloped neck is at first far more difficult to play on than that of a regular guitar at first but one's playing style alters to compensate in the long term. Playing lightly and making movement minimal is crucial here in order to create the right tone without creating a sloppy mess.

I can't stress enough that you try out a scalloped neck before you settle on one, I myself prefer the tone of a classic guitar such as a strat, Les Paul or Tele however I had to have a modern guitar as well as they are diverse and are reliable in the studio.
My Rig......

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Flextone II amplifier

other stuff.....

Ibanez RG 470
Tanglewood acousic