^^^Topic.
Originally Posted by bassmanjoe08
back in '76 i pried the frets off of jaco pastorius's bass hoping he wouldnt play as good.................damn did that backfire
I use them every time i re-string, and mine come from Wal-Mart. If you play about 2 hours a day and your hands arn't horribly sweaty (sp) they should last you around 3 weeks until they sound like they have no more life. Never had one break either and I use 9's
I dont use them because a) Elixirs are the best strings IMO, and b) they dont last a long time at all i dont think...

So yes and no really. They are decent strings if you wanna change them every couple of weeks but i think there are better strings.. I know Elixirs are expensive but they are worth it i think!!
Quote by Clay Treznum
I use them every time i re-string, and mine come from Wal-Mart. If you play about 2 hours a day and your hands arn't horribly sweaty (sp) they should last you around 3 weeks until they sound like they have no more life. Never had one break either and I use 9's

9's huh? Pretty small bass strings.

Personally, I've never used them, I haven't heard many great things about them, until now obviously, I prefer Dean Markley Blue Steels, for now everytime I get new strings I'll try a new kind, this way I find my absolute favorite, I suggest you do the same Killa.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
i REALLY dont understand how guitarists just pop in the bass forum and post random things and not REALIZE they're in the bass forum :S
i've tried the ghs bass boomers but i hated how they played and how they only lasted a few weeks. definately try the ernie ball regular slinky strings 50-105. they've been my favorite set of strings for a long time now.
I am actually in my first experiment with trying all the different strings I can (since I now change my strings about every 2-3 months). And I'm currently on GHS Boomers.

The nickel plated steel certainly gives them a nice smooth soft feel to them. I've only ever tended to use Stainless Steels before, so I can't really comment when comparing to other nickels plateds.

I guess in a few months time I might do an almighty review post of all the strings I've tried and tested.
I think the DR fat-beams are pretty nice.
Quote by BaSsReBeL171
I now believe you are truly the smartest man alive!!! You're a pimp!

I used him alright
The Founder & Fearless Frog of the Primus Sucks Club. PM me to join.
Member of the Mitch Hedberg Pwns club
Fight Ignorance --> www.erowid.org
I used to swear by them, but I dont anymore because they're really a one-tone pony and are quite short lived. And sometimes because of how much clearer their high end is, they sound much crappier if you play hard or play with a different gauge. I still support GHS, but Im no longer a "slap string roundwounds" guy.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
^Have you tried DR's yet??? I think you'd like them...

I swear by DR. They last forever, and have great tone... they just take a little while to break in... As everyone else here said, GHS keep their tone for a while and then go dead... and the ones I have played have a more rough feel to them.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Incubus, do the Bootsy ones flake like I've heard? I use the Marcus Miller ones on my J Bass 24 and they sound pretty nice. Which ones do you use?
Quote by BaSsReBeL171

I used him alright
I use the Hi-Beams... My bass teacher had Black Beauties on his Modulus (the ones with black coating) and they lost a lot of coating after only a week of use. I don't know if that's what you mean by flaking. I've never used the Bootsy ones.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Well, losing their coating, that's what I meant.
Quote by BaSsReBeL171

I used him alright
Quote by Clay Treznum
o ya, this is bass.

Yes. Yes it is.

I live by the Ernie Ball Slinky 50-105s. Boomers don't last very long.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Quote by Clay Treznum

wow, me too!
but i use 45's

actually, i use Rotosound Swing Bass 66's, 45-105. very happy with them, still.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Jul 28, 2006,