I got a question about the Chromatic scale.

When playing it backwards (from the first string, fourth fret), do I have to let the open strings ring after playing them and moving to the next string down? Usually my finger rubs along the open string which mutes it.

For example, if I play the open high E (first string), and then go to play the fourth fret of the second string, should the open high E (first string) still be ringing after I play the fourth fret of the second string?

Sorry if this is confusing. It's about as clear as I can make it through writing.
Probably not, becuase you don't let any other notes ring. I never do, and it probably sounds really dissonasant.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
I would say stop the previous note from ringing when you play the next note. This is usually true whenever you play any scale.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
How would I stop open strings from ringing when I go to play the fourth fret of the next string down then?

Also, when using the fourth finger, sould I use the tip of it like with the other fingers? I natturally use the part just below the tip and it's quite annoying, so I'm trying to adjust.

Thanks!
Quote by Coins
How would I stop open strings from ringing when I go to play the fourth fret of the next string down then?

Also, when using the fourth finger, sould I use the tip of it like with the other fingers? I natturally use the part just below the tip and it's quite annoying, so I'm trying to adjust.

Thanks!

i had that exact same problem with my pinky...you just have to practice playing on the very tip of your finger with every finger...it's a habit you'll need to develop

as for muting, use the other fingers of your fretting hand...for example, let's say you're playing the 4th fret of the 2nd string with your pinky...well, the other three fingers should be as close to the fretboard as possible, so take one (or more, if desired) and let it travel down a bit to catch the ringing string and mute it...that, or you could try a technique with a bit more difficulty...try "grabbing" the string with one of the three free fingers of your picking hand...this isn't as useful when playing very fast runs, but if practiced slowly, it will become second nature to you
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by Coins

Thanks!

Yes, you should use the tip of your pinky although it can be on the side of the tip
(your pinky will tend to bend inwards a little bit). That will give you a number of
advantages when playing.

To stop the ringing, as you place the tip of your pinky on the next string you can
lightly touch the open E to deaden it at the same time.
Thanks man, that helps a lot.

How would I mute the open strings when I go to fret the next string down?

Eg, If I play the first string open, and the go to play the fourth fret of the second string.

Edit: Sorry. I didn't notice you had posted edg. I guess you answered my question. Thanks!