I was just wondering why it seems like all the basses (and guitars really) that have 24 frets have the tuners on both sides? Is there a purpose for this? And is it worth getting a bass with 24 frets?

Thank you for any answers.

My bass has 24 frets and tuners on the one side.
And I find having 24 frets better, but really not necessary.
Originally posted by VoodooChild15
If your girlfriend's having sex at 13, she's a dirty dirty whore. And if you're having sex at 14, you're a dirty dirty...pimp.

Looking for a drummer in the Detroit, MI area
PM if interested!

MySpace
actually most ive seen have tuners on one side but watever. and getting a bass with 24 frets inst really worth it but getting a guitar with 24 frets is.
my guitars have 24 frets, and 6 inline tuners. bass has 20 frets, and is on both sides.
carvin makes basses with 24 frets and have inline tuners.

so i dont know. . .
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
mine is 24 frets 3 on one side and 2 on the other, but it is a 5 string
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
mine has 24 frets and tuners on both sides of the head stock
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!

A lot of basses have less than 24 frets... a few have more than that! It doesn't really make a huge difference unless you would use those 2 or 3 extra notes...

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by watchingmefall
My two basses are both 4-string, 24 string and have 2 tuners on each side.

your 4 strings have 24 strings?
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Check this out:

http://www.fjordan.net/angles/bajo_benavent.htm

28 frets! It's a 5 string and it has tuners on both sides of headstock.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
your 4 strings have 24 strings?

yea, hes hXc like that
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
TBH, i've never ventured up that far into the frets. 18 is about as far as i go, even when jamming to teh maxxorz
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I've got a 5-string with 24 frets (3 tuners on one side 2 on the other btw) and I do occasionally use them. I wouldn't miss them too much but they have no negative effects that I can see.
24 frets ftw.
my bass has 24 frets. i find it extreemly usefull for creating wicked solos.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
My bass has 24-frets. I rarely use them. I use them usually when me and my buddies are sittin around seein who can be stupidest. lol But I love my 24-frets so yea.
J. L.
From an engineering point of view there is some sense in having the neck protrude deep into the body. It gives more mechanical strenght to the joint between neck and body and also more sustain. The moment a builder decides to make a neck longer for this reason, there is no point in not putting extra frets on it, so you get these for free.