The backing track and the vocals were recorded seperartely. Most of my other work is just me and my acoustic. This one has a different feel to it though. I hope you enjoy!

Please leave comments, critique me. The good and the bad, as detailed as possible.

Thanks!

-Red

http://www.purevolume.com/guitarguy953
wow i really loved that. Not at all what i was expecting. The music was a really great remix on this song, but the vocals didn't quite suit it. Like everyone over 11 years old who tries to cover claudio, you just can't try and impersonate him. Some of the higher notes he hits are superhuman and even falsetto it just sounds wrong. The vocals kind of ruined the piece for me. It's not that they were that bad, just that they didn't suit the style. Vocal effects could be something worth trying out to see if you can find something with some echo or reverb that really goes with the music. also you almost sang this song too much. The original had some screaming for large portions of the song, and you had to replace that with melodic singing because of the tempo of your version, which is understandeable, but you tried to do way too much, much more than you could pull off. Simplify. So to recap, loved the music, disliked the vocals.
Quote by tygo
wow i really loved that. Not at all what i was expecting. The music was a really great remix on this song, but the vocals didn't quite suit it. Like everyone over 11 years old who tries to cover claudio, you just can't try and impersonate him. Some of the higher notes he hits are superhuman and even falsetto it just sounds wrong. The vocals kind of ruined the piece for me. It's not that they were that bad, just that they didn't suit the style. Vocal effects could be something worth trying out to see if you can find something with some echo or reverb that really goes with the music. also you almost sang this song too much. The original had some screaming for large portions of the song, and you had to replace that with melodic singing because of the tempo of your version, which is understandeable, but you tried to do way too much, much more than you could pull off. Simplify. So to recap, loved the music, disliked the vocals.

Exactly the kind of critique i'm looking for. Thank you for being honest. Claudio is a hard man to impersonate, and i definitely can't come close to him. But I thought that becuase of the style and tempo of the version I did, that it would be better suited to sing it opera style rather then rock style, you know what i mean?

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by i almost sang it too much? You mean like, i didnt scream it when i should have? I did that on purpose because 1, i cant really scream too well, and 2, it seemed to suit the music a little better.

Thanks for the comment!
-Red
No no, i didn't mean you should have screamed anything at all, your version of the music isn't appropriate for screaming like claudio did, you had that right. I meant that you really did a lot of ups and downs where a single solid note could have been used. Especially on the end of line words where you have a chance to hold notes for a few seconds. You really used these chances to get creative and throw the notes up and down and play around with them a bit vocally, but you didn't quite pull it off. You just don't have the voice for it right now, and thats not saying youre a terrible singer, it just takes a really strong voice to be able to do that kind of thing. This is what i meant by singing too much, i think you need to simplify your vocals and hold more solid notes where possible rather than bringing things up and down just for the sake of creativity. hope that helps a bit.

edit: some examples of the oversinging im talking about: 2:10 when you sing "a child was Born," the born was really over sung, as well as at 2:17 or so, you really lay into the "battlestations," going like "stayhihayhihaytioions" when you could just have sung it as a longer held "staaaaaaaations." I know that claudio takes liberties like this, but considering how different the feel of the song is, and how different your voice is from claudio's, you need to adjust accordingly.
Last edited by tygo at Jul 28, 2006,
Quote by tygo
No no, i didn't mean you should have screamed anything at all, your version of the music isn't appropriate for screaming like claudio did, you had that right. I meant that you really did a lot of ups and downs where a single solid note could have been used. Especially on the end of line words where you have a chance to hold notes for a few seconds. You really used these chances to get creative and throw the notes up and down and play around with them a bit vocally, but you didn't quite pull it off. You just don't have the voice for it right now, and thats not saying youre a terrible singer, it just takes a really strong voice to be able to do that kind of thing. This is what i meant by singing too much, i think you need to simplify your vocals and hold more solid notes where possible rather than bringing things up and down just for the sake of creativity. hope that helps a bit.

edit: some examples of the oversinging im talking about: 2:10 when you sing "a child was Born," the born was really over sung, as well as at 2:17 or so, you really lay into the "battlestations," going like "stayhihayhihaytioions" when you could just have sung it as a longer held "staaaaaaaations." I know that claudio takes liberties like this, but considering how different the feel of the song is, and how different your voice is from claudio's, you need to adjust accordingly.

That makes perfect sense, thank you for clarifying. I think your right, i tried to be creative and play with the notes instead of making them solid, but your probably right in saying that i dont have the voice for it yet. Listening back to that line, it did sound pretty bad didnt it, lol.

What can i do to get better at that?
I loved the music. The soft sound effects in the beginning were great. I loved it, until the vocals. Not alot of vocalist can get Claudio. The only ones that I know can get it, are girls. Ha ha. I know it's crazy but it makes somewhat sense seeing as our voices are high pitched already. So same thing for me. Loved the music, but the vocals not so much, but good job.
Wow, this is a brilliant interpretation of the song. You really brought an original side to it. I absolutely love the intro. Now, the vocals aren't top notch, but we can't expect you to sing like Claudio.

Good job.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by red9535
What can i do to get better at that?

practice, keep recording yourself and listen to where you're off and try and get it right. And most importantly, sing in your range, not somebody else's. even if that means dropping everything a half step or a whole step down, then make it happen. Search the UG lessons or the web in general for more info on singing.
Wow this is amazing. I absolutely love the music minus the vocals. Is there anyway you could send me a version without the vocals. I don't mean to be rude about the vocals, but I would love to hear it simply instrumental. Like everyone said, it is very hard for most people to do Claudio.
Lol ok so the general opinion is that my vocals suck

Alright.

I'll post the instrumental only a little bit later, once i get a chance

Thanks for the comments
what the fuck is with the random drum beat, I think it would sound alot better if you just used proper distortion rather than weird effects, dont try to imitate claudio no one can.

I'm sorry to say but this a terrible cover and CoCa is my fav band but you butchered the song.

once again sorry for the harsh critisism.

to improve

use distortion
use proper drum beat (not light "jazz" drum)
if you wish to sing, sing with emphasis
This is a cover. He decided to do it his own way with his own twist to the song. If you wanted to hear the actualy song, then listen to the CD version.
Quote by suicideangel_2
what the fuck is with the random drum beat, I think it would sound alot better if you just used proper distortion rather than weird effects, dont try to imitate claudio no one can.

I'm sorry to say but this a terrible cover and CoCa is my fav band but you butchered the song.

once again sorry for the harsh critisism.

to improve

use distortion
use proper drum beat (not light "jazz" drum)
if you wish to sing, sing with emphasis

Thats what a cover song is, bud. Taking the song and making your own personal rendition of it. Like someone else said, if you want to hear the song, go listen to the song.
wow that was unclassy. The opinions had reached a consensus, what more do you want? your vocals were brutal and the music was solid although a very different feel from the original. You bumping this is up bumping somebody else's music down.
Quote by tygo
wow that was unclassy. The opinions had reached a consensus, what more do you want? your vocals were brutal and the music was solid although a very different feel from the original. You bumping this is up bumping somebody else's music down.

Wow, that was pretty unclassy of you too. I bumped it becuase i wanted to hear what more people thought about it. I already know your opinion, so no need to post in the thread more, especially if your just putting me down.
Quote by suicideangel_2
dont try to imitate claudio no one can

woah idiot.. ive heard ppl who can imitate him.. this one guy can perfectly.. and man hes amazing.
I liked the music man, the guitar parts were VERY accurate, i liked how you added partswith the lead guitar in the second part of the intro. and then totally made it your own. This cover was very good because you just didn't cover the song the way they played it, you put a whole different feel to it. i would give it a 10/10, but the vocals didn't really do it for me, they sounded ok on most parts, but when you tried to sing high, it simply sounded worse. I don't think anyone can sing as high as claudio, and no one should try. lol. but aside from certain parts, it was an excellent cover. 8.5/10
Nikolas
I'm not really feelin' this cover, sorry dude.

The vocals were lacking, and the synths and stuff just didn't do it for me.

I know people say to make covers your own, and good on you for doing that. But the vocals could really use some work I'd say.
If I had my way, I'd crush your face in the door.