I have a early 1960's model Sears Silvertone 1484 twin twelve tube amp, and a hollow body electric guitar that i am trying to find out some more information on. I really hadn't considered the possibility that they may be infact somewhat valueable. I recently was invited to play rythm guitar in a local band. Now im am wondering if I should be leaving the Silvertone amp at our practice facility, and use it to gig with. Or if i should just leave it at home and buy something different to use for practice and gigs. Also I would like to find some more info on what this amp and guitar are worth. The amp is 100 percent original and in pristine condition. No tears or marks in the material. All original tubes. foot switch to control the trem and reverb on channel 2. I really love this amp and it gets a great vintage bluesy rock and roll sound when teamed with my tele. Thoughts, suggestions?

There was a column in the february issue of guitar world on the amp.Ill check it out for ya.
Originally Posted by RideTheAnger13
Getting a spider II for a gift is like getting coal for christmas. Whoever is getting that for you obviously doesn't like you.
It says thats an amp recently sold on eBay for $1,176.00.It also says it was originally intended for students and is made from the same circutry as Fenders around the time,and the tubes should glow orange not cherry red or blue.A few years ago the article says the amp was sold around $400 so I say you got a pretty nice amps on your hands.
Getting a spider II for a gift is like getting coal for christmas. Whoever is getting that for you obviously doesn't like you.
Yes the tubes do glow orange. Holy crap 1100 bucks that almost makes me feel bad. My dad bought the guitar and amp for a hundred bucks for the pair about 5 or 6 years ago from a friend of the family.
what would you do? Leave at the practice facility (about 40 miles from where i live) or cart it back and forth for our weekly practice/Jam Sessions. And gig with it. or leave it at home and go but something different to practice and gig with?
Is it light?
Well,I wouldnt leave it 40 miles from my home.Since its rare and out of production.Worth alot i might add i wouldnt leave it at the facility.Id consider getting a new amp to practice gig with.But it depends on your budget.Do you have the money to get a new amp?
No its not light........lol it weighs alot lol. and my budget does not really look like it will allow for a new amp (at least not something that ill be happy with lol) hmmmm
I was wondering if you could post me the link for the article for that february issue of guitar world about my amp. thank you very much
ill try to find one.
Sorry couldnt find one.Well for now id just say cart it around till you can find a decent combo.I wouldnt leave something like that 40 miles away from home.
Yeah I think your right........It never dawned on me that it was such a rare or valueable thing untill I posted a pic of my gear in the official gear thread. Somebody replied to me saying that my amp was worth an assload. lol well i started doing some research on the internet on the amp and the guitar. Info was kind of hard for me to find though. All I know for sure is the Guitar is a 1446 model hollow body electric with bigsby trem built sometime in the early 60's, either by Harmony or maybe danelectro. It looks very very similar to a Gretcsh hollowbody. I read somewhere that Chris issaak uses one in concert. The amp was built around the same time and is a model 1484 twin twelve tube amp. It has 2 channels one with volume, trebel and bass controls and the other with treble, bass, and tremelo and reverb settings pluss a foot switch to control them. The Reverb is kind of weird on this thing. It works but its a really different sound. I really really dig this amp......It has a really sweet clean vintage cleantone........really brings my tele to life.........and if i want some dirt i just crank her up a bit and i can get the sweetest dirty blues tone i have ever heard. I really wann use this to gig and practice with cause I love it but i would literally cry if something happened to it now that i find out its so rare and valuable. This one especially. This is the first guitar and amp combo my old man played with. He was in a band in the 60's in the is the very same amp he used. Not just the same model......i mean the exact amp. So for now i cart it around i guess. I wonder if i could just build a cab and put some speakers in it so that i would only have to transport the head back and forth to the practice place. Thoughts?
Wait I made a mistake.You actually have an older model than what was in my mag.The one in the mad is a 1485.So maybe the price is different er something.I dont know I hope your research answers your questions.