ive just had my guitar serviced and the action etc is now pretty good. but when I bend on the 14th, 15th,16th,17th fret of the first string its stops. (this is hard to explain). literally, the sound just stops.

could any of you help?

if you need clarification just ask.
Sounds like either your action is too low, or you have a raised fret somewhere.
Mine used to to that, so i checked out my frets, and when i was bending, the string would bend over a fred which was raised just a little bit, and this would stop the string from playing, and cut the sound out instantly.
Been away, am back
You're "fretting out." It means those frets probably need to be filed or replaced. Also, if your fretboard has a low radius (7-10"), they're prone to fretting out.
Hi, I'm Peter
thanks guys, but considering ive just had it serviced is it the guys fault? could i ask for a refund? especially because this didnt happen before he serviced it.
No. Just ask him to bring the action up a bit. Obviously he didn't play the whole thing after he set it up, but that doesn't mean you're entitled to a complete refund.
Hi, I'm Peter
however...it's the guy's fault...he has to play the whole thing after setting it up....but ok, tell him about your prob and I'm sure he's gonna fix it.
My Rig:

Ibanez RBM - I adore this axe!!
Fender Strat (Duncan PU's + Floyd-Rose)
Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig2 (for Recording...awesome!)
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1
I would still try for a refund
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Beating the elderly is a big favourite of mine. Also, pushing kids over and kicking pregnant women in the womb is fun.

Right now we're called 'Various Artists' just to fuck over people with iPods
Im not sure he'd give you a refund, like dirk said, he'll probably just set it up again.
Been away, am back
Quote by bonfire36m
however...it's the guy's fault...he has to play the whole thing after setting it up....but ok, tell him about your prob and I'm sure he's gonna fix it.

Well, it also takes guitars a bit of time to fully settle in after being adjusted. Tuning isn't a one-shot thing. He should readjust it for free. But it's not like he broke it or completely screwed it up.
Hi, I'm Peter
the trouble is that i went on a guitar course and a guy who worked there fixed it up for me but ive alredy left.
Quote by erotic_snails
how much would it cost to file or replace frets?

Chances are you don't need to do that. Try raising your action 1/4 of a turn and see if that fixes it, first.

If you can't stop the note fretting out with the action in a comfortable position based on your preference, then maybe look into taking it into a shop to get a fret filed down.
Quote by erotic_snails
he just changed the strings
is there anyway of doing this without taking out the strings?

Yes. What kind of bridge do you have?
Yeah, you don't have to take off the strings to raise the action, although you will have to loosen them a bit, especially if it's a tune-o-matic bridge. What type of guitar?

Edit: You beat me. Damn my longwindedness
Hi, I'm Peter
i have a prs tremonti

oh and thanks for answering such a boring thread youve really helped me
You have the stopbar tailpiece. Just turn the screw on the treble side of the bridge counter-clockwise to raise it a bit, then re-tune.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Yeah, you don't have to take off the strings to raise the action, although you will have to loosen them a bit, especially if it's a tune-o-matic bridge. What type of guitar?

Edit: You beat me. Damn my old-age.

Fixed

Quote by erotic_snails
i have a prs tremonti

oh and thanks for answering such a boring thread youve really helped me

Well, you haven't said what bridge you have and by looking at a picture of that guitar on some random internet site, it looks like it has a hardtail bridge. One of these.

Adjust those screws anti-clockwise to raise the action.

EDIT: Yeah, well mine had a picture.
Quote by erotic_snails
how much do you reckon i need to raise it?

De-tune your strings, then turn them 1/4 of a turn anti-clockwise, re-tune and try it out. If you're still fretting out, repeat the process - keep going until the action is to high for what your preference would allow, if it's still fretting out then - go to the shop and ask them to take a look at it.

It's normally just a simple adjustement of the action to fix a problem like that, so you shouldn't have to go anywhere.
Quote by Johnljones7443
EDIT: Yeah, well I like butt secks.

Fixed
Hi, I'm Peter