Is there a difference in tone with a combo amp, and the same model head with a 4x12 cab ,and is there a difference in tone with the covering of the speaker(s), like a metal grill or cloth,and the difference between speaker sizes and tone, thanx
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
well how the cab is made, what it's made out of, how big it is, how deep it is, if it's open/closed back, speaker size, can all affect tone.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
man i hate that.. i spend sooo much time trying to get my guitars the way i like them with diff pickups and ****, then spend all that time and money on my head and the tubes in it and that ****... but **** its ur cabs that make a big difference... 25 v 30 watt celestions... american voiced speakers v british... its ****ing dumb.. thats the one thing i hate the most about electric guitar... i mean who really knows wheather a celstion sounds better than a eminence speaker (or w/e)... there are a million other things in the equation...
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
^ basically, but all those options really help you sculpt your tone when you know what you're after.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

thanx, cuz i was wondering if i get a randall head, i want a high gain scopped mid sounds and i was wondering if the 4x12 cabs they have are good for it or plug the head into my Marshall MG 50DFX(i know it sucks but is it a huge difference?)
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
well, i'd say the cab would sound better mainly because of the speakers.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

kool, does any1 have a randall 4x12 cab, and know if they're good for what im lookin for?
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
well which cab and head are you looking at? because a freind of mine has the rgt200 head and the matching cab and he has very nice tone.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Ive heard that the speakers in the MG really isn't that bad, but a cab would be much better... Im saving for a cab, and are at the moment playing my JCM 800 head trough the speaker of my MG100DFX.... it works just fine
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
i was thinkin the randall all tube 50 watt
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/tube/index.asp#
but i dont know the difference in sound for a metal or cloth cover, or an angled front, or the speaker so i can't deicide on a cab, maybe you could suggest what would be best for my playing style
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/cabinets/index.asp
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Quote by Sl4Sh_Jr.
Ive heard that the speakers in the MG really isn't that bad, but a cab would be much better... Im saving for a cab, and are at the moment playing my JCM 800 head trough the speaker of my MG100DFX.... it works just fine

did you plug the cable that plugs into the input jack where it says loudspeaker above it into the head, if not what did you do? cuz i want to do that til i can afford a cab
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Closed back cabinet tighter lows less fluffy highs.
Open back cabinet loose lows fluffier shimmery highs.

Plywood covered in tolex is pretty standard....
Old school fender were made out of pine... they help the sound resonate - better natural ring
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How the cab is made will matter also.
1. Shallow closed back cabinet will actually produce a very tight response that will actually cut out some of the bass you normally feel.

2. Too deep cabinets sound woofy and thick because bass notes get coupled with box and floor.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OF COURSE THE SPEAKERS MATTER.

Go to this web page for a speaker shootout review for types of sounds certain speakers do better than others.

http://www.webervst.com/bt9908.htm

and

http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin/documents/testreport_40.pdf

There you go.... if you want to hear how much speakers have an affects on your tone you may also listen to sound clips here....

http://proguitar.de/AudioDemo/CompareSpeaker/CompareSpeaker.html

Good Luck
My Favorite Rig Of The Moment

Fender American Strat -> Barber Tone Press -> Xotic AC Booster -> Keeley TS9 -> Hughes & Kettner TubeFactor -> Fender Blues Junior
as far as what the gril is made out of, it doesn't matter. and you'd probably want an angled cab.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

what does the angle do? is it about depth, top is thinner (higher), bottom is deeper (lower)?
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
no, it just spreads the sound around better.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

^ it's a hardly noticeable differeince. in full stack set ups yes, because they're stitting on the floor. but in a half stack situation it's nearly impossible to tell the difference bass wise.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

thanx for the help, the best cab, sounds like a angled front Randall with Celestion Vintage 30's, but has any1 tried the Randall All-Tube 50 watt head and know if its good cuz i got the perfect idea for which cab to buy, but if the amp sux i wanna get a good idea about model and price to see how long i need a job for, ill try it out if i can find it anywhere but if any1 knows thats its trash, thanx
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX