Today while in a guitar shop, I came across a slightly used Fender Stratocaster "Studiocaster". The headstock is shaped more like a Tele headstock, and it has the Fender logo on it. Under it in the ususal Strat font it says "Stratocaster Studiocaster" and says "Mahogony body". It is a transparent red colour. The asking price (consignment) was $225. It looked vintage as in probably eighties, and the pickups (SSS) were slightly cream coloured. Does anyone have any info or reviews on this guitar? I know it is real and not a copy, as it has the original Fender logo and font, and not a decal.

Any help would be apreciated! Thank you.

***EDIT****

Here are the pics:

I could not find anything about this guitar online. the headtock doesn't look like a Fender, but the decals that say "Studiocaster" look so flawless that it makes me believe against a counterfeit. The body is indeed mahogany.

What do you feel about this?
My Gear:

2006 Fender American Strat
'58 Reissue Korina Gibson Flying V
1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
Last edited by Shredding Sam at Jul 29, 2006,
I think one of the guitarists in Lynyrd Skynyrd uses one
Edit: nope, I guess its just a strat with a tele headstock that he uses.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Last edited by Ranger01 at Jul 29, 2006,
Oh. Thanks for that info.
My Gear:

1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
I'd jump on it. It probably sounds pretty good, matching the brightness of single coils with the warmth of mahogany.
Hi, I'm Peter
I bought it! It sounds amazing! The sales person said that the guy who brought it in wasn't sure if the person before him put it together himself. The writing it on a decal, however they are not decals you can buy anywhere online. It looks like it was a Fender customshop product. It does indeed have a mahogony body and vintage pups. The action is the best I have ever seen on any guitar and it's super comfortable. I will post pics later! Thoughts?
My Gear:

1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
congrats man, that sounds awesome!
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Updated with pics, please reply
My Gear:

1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
Stevie Ray used a custom studio caster at Montreux Jazz Festival, couple years before his death.

Headstock looks like the one he had, I'd say buy that in a heartbeat.
I'd get it. Seems pretty sweet.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by CarbonSystem
Stevie Ray used a custom studio caster at Montreux Jazz Festival, couple years before his death.

Headstock looks like the one he had, I'd say buy that in a heartbeat.

Well, I bought it and it plays awesome. So it is real and not a strat copy with decals? Sweet! Any pics of Stevie Ray's?
My Gear:

1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
Looks cool, man. Nice find.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
damn man, looks nice. a find like that makes me want to start combing pawn shops
haha, actually, I bought it an overpriced music store. It just so happened a guy had just brought it in who didn't know anything about guitars and thought it was fake.
My Gear:

1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
Anyone else have anything to say? These must be pretty rare because I can't find any info about them.
My Gear:

1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
Send an email to Fender support, they should be able to help you out.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
For some reason i think that guitar is bogus. I've never heard of/seen a 'studiocaster'? not to mention it's just a stratocaster body with a different neck...
Quote by DLDude
For some reason i think that guitar is bogus. I've never heard of/seen a 'studiocaster'? not to mention it's just a stratocaster body with a different neck...

Well, it's also mahogany, which is something you don't find often unless you get a custom build. If he likes the sound/feel, it doesn't really matter, since he only paid $225, if it's a "real" Fender. One way to find out if it's real: If it has a serial number, date the serial number using the Fender website. Then find something like the Guitar Bluebook (a used guitar price guide) and see if it's listed.
Hi, I'm Peter
The headstock design reminds me of the B.C. Rich strat headstock design.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.