i know tht this is a very powerful metal combo and they are very good. i was wonderin if they are also good for cleans tho and also wut is the difference between the 2. - and how long duz the battery last?
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.
Battery life for a single EMG is 3000 hours of use. If you unplug the guitar when it's not in use (essentially, plugging the lead into the guitar turns the power on), then you can literally go for a year or more on a single battery.

And if cleans are important to you, I'd go the Hetfield route and go for an EMG 60 instead of an 85. The 85 won't give you very good cleans.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
can u get a hellraiser tht comes with the 60 tho and are its cleans any good?
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.
The 60s are good for rhythm, but I think they are fine for cleans. Hetfield plays lots of cleans with them. I don't know about the hellraiser question though. You might have to buy them seperately.

I've heard that 89s sound good with cleans, but I haven't personally done so.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

The 60 is great for cleans in the neck position, and it's indeed what Hetfield plays. I myself recently converted from the 85 to the 60 for the neck on my guitars.

The 89 is essentially an 85 (small tonal difference, but about the same) with a coil tap that turns it into an SA. When used as a single coil in the neck position, it does produce a very nice clean tone.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
The 85 has a decent clean... very warm and bassy

And about the Hellraiser.. you'd have to buy the 60 seperately... but changing it would be easy with the use of the quick-connect cable.
The 60 is sweet in the neck. I know, I have one and I have the 81 in the bridge too. Very good combo. I've played metal with the 60 in the neck and it's not so bassy. To me it sounded cool.

My guitar is an agile al3000p lp.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
So if you take pickups out of a Hellraiser, could you reuse them. Cos I'd like to take them out, put the 81 in the bridge of my old guitar, put the 85 in the bridge of the Hellraiser and a new 60 in the neck.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
emg has a pickup with a push/pull pot that turns it into a single coil emg... thats probably the best your gonna get for clean, one of those in the neck and an 85 or 81 in the bridge. but be warned emgs are made to melt the souls of children with unnesecary amounts of distortion, the clean tone is going to be treacherous no matter what compared to any passive pickup, the single coil im assuming would jsut be less treacherous
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
Quote by Spark1284
emg has a pickup with a push/pull pot that turns it into a single coil emg... thats probably the best your gonna get for clean, one of those in the neck and an 85 or 81 in the bridge. but be warned emgs are made to melt the souls of children with unnesecary amounts of distortion, the clean tone is going to be treacherous no matter what compared to any passive pickup, the single coil im assuming would jsut be less treacherous

my band's rhythm guitarist snagged an ltd explorer (pre-gibson lawsuit one too!) from guitar center for $400, that had an 81/89 set. It's a great guitar. the 89 is a good pickup (that's the switching one with the push/pull pot), but the 60 is still probably better. The 89 sounds identical to my 85. Even EMG themselves state the 89 is basically an 85 when set to humbucking, and an... SH, i believe, when set to single-coil