This may sound stupid but how does a tremelo bar work? I have one but there is a lot of springs in there and it holds it to the body. I can only push down on the bar I can't pull up on it because it's on the body. How do I get my floatable bridge to work?
if the bridge rests on the body, so you cant pull it up, then it is not a floating trem. there needs to be a recess for the trem to drop into when you pull up on it, if you have a recess and the trem always rests inside the recess, then the tension of the springs is way too tight, and you need to loosen them until the bridge is paralell to the body
Umm, what guitar do you have? And what bridge do you have? (If you can tell)
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

If you have a bridge that looks like its on some swivel like thing, like the cheaper Ibanez edgepro bridges and its sitting on the body that just means that you have your bridge springs too tight. Loosen them up a little bit untill you can get the bridge lever with the body of the guitar. And also when your loosening the springs be sure to overcompensate since you still have to retune the guitar.
My Gear:

2005 Jackson RR3
1972 Yamaha FG 200
Ibanez 25R
I have a used Fender Stratocaster I took my guitar to a shop because I could not keep the strings in tune. The guy told me that I needed new springs he put Four springs in there is that to much?
well....sort of, but strat bridges (most) dont have trem cavities, so you prob cant pull it up, but you never know...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
the number of springs doesnt matter, what does matter is the total tension of the springs on the bridge. i cant see a reason that 4 springs would be to much, you can adjust the tension as you like with the screws. I have a guitar with 5 springs on it, cause i dont use the bar on it and that keeps the bridge from creeping up off the body
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
The strings would not stay in tune. Because the springs where ware out by the time I got one string in tune the bridge would float up taking the rest out of tune but if tighten the strings up where the bridge will float the stings are to tight what's going on? how do I adjust the tension what screws were you talking about?
Quote by YouWantToKillME
The strings would not stay in tune. Because the springs where ware out by the time I got one string in tune the bridge would float up taking the rest out of tune but if tighten the strings up where the bridge will float the stings are to tight what's going on? how do I adjust the tension what screws were you talking about?

dude, please go back to school and learn some english.

I think you're saying that tuning one string will throw the others out of whack? Just keep tuning all of em until it stops doing that (preferably in a 6/1/5/2/4/3 pattern) and then the bridge will be fully floating.

In the back of the guitar, there should be a claw with two screws on it (the claw is where the springs are attached). those adjust tension.
Quote by SolidxSnake
dude, please go back to school and learn some english.
Sorry about that I'm just not that smart plus my friends are here. I was talking to them and forgot to run spell check

Are you ready for metal gear solid 4 guns of the patriots ?
I used to own a Strat ( Made in USA, Fender, blah blah blah ). It was no good when it comes to keeping in tune. Well, it used to keep good tune if I didn't use the whammy bar.

When you use the whammy bar, especially down, the slack in the strings is causing some of the excess string in the tuning pegs to come loose and hence the guitar goes out of tune. Unfortunately, IMO, there is no way to circumvent this problem unless you have a locking nut. But my ex-guitar teacher who used to rock with a 85 MIM Fender strat swore by his guitar that a roller nut will solve the problem. Whenever he used to dive-bomb, he had to spend a few mins tuning the guitar back.

So, to summarize, if you love your strat and want to keep it, do whammy bar dive-bomb sort of things, get either a locking nut or roller nuts. Else, get a decent guitar with a real floating trem and locking nut and you should be fine.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
YWTKM: hell yeah i'm ready

surprisingly, my friends yamacaster stays in tune through a dive and pull... no locking nut... it's a cheap squier ripoff.
Maybe his tuning pegs are good ?? But I'll tell ya, Fender's ( the new ones at least ) tuning pegs are very bad at keeping in tune.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

I have a cheap Biscayne Flyer Ltd with a tremolo bridge and it stays in tune very well even when i'm using the whammy bar a lot. It only has 3 springs, but there are very tight , i mean, i have to take off one spring to have on semi-floating mode. Anyway, i suggest to the threadstarter, try change your bridge at semi-floating mode (take off one spring if necessary) and try the tuning's stability, if they go out tune very easily (like with only bending), then don't use that bridge setup. In my opinion, on a semi-floating bridge you can only raise the pitch one semitone which i don't think is very useful if you wanna make squealing and other cool whammy bar effects.
but by making them semi-floating, wouldn't the action be affected? I mean, wont the strings be further away from the fingerboard?

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Quote by emperor_black
but by making them semi-floating, wouldn't the action be affected? I mean, wont the strings be further away from the fingerboard?

Nope, the springs don't do anything to the action AFAIK. At least, not on a floyd. It just changes the bridge height.

I'm not familiar with strat tremelos (never had a fender guitar in my life), but you should be able to stabilize the trem by loosening all the strings and sticking wooden blocks to each side of the fulcrum base thing... the thing where the spring's "pins" hook into.