im building a guitar, and im planning to put a emg 85 for the bridge pickup. I was just curious if i have to put in a neck pickup for it to work, or can i just have a bridge humbucker?
"We could only wonder what he would have accomplished is his life hadn't ended so early"

----Randy Rhoads----
No Its an active pickup therefore you have to have all the pickups as active. Im sure there might be away around it but it will be a bit dodgy with only 1EMG and another "Standard" humbucker or single coils". My advice go with a H H set 81-85. OR if your not prepared to go active then go for A BK warpig (BK= Bareknuckle) There very heavy. What music you hoping to play with it.
thats not what he asked ^^.

i believe he asked whether you can have a guitar with just a bridge pickup. the answer to this is yes. you can. but, it won't be very versatile. if you want to have one pickup, then there is nothing stopping you having just the 85 in the bridge position, though if you were going to have a neck pickup i would strongly reccomend leaving the 85 in the bridge (opposing what Maddy! said) and having an EMG 60 in the neck as the cleans are far superior.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

I dont get the Hype witrh EMG's there not "THAT" good. the whole around active pickups is stupid theres far better passive ones. But there again when everyone wants a metal tone everyone thinks of EMGS. Seymour Invaders are good. lol *prepares to get roasted*
Quote by Maddy!
I dont get the Hype witrh EMG's there not "THAT" good. the whole around active pickups is stupid theres far better passive ones. But there again when everyone wants a metal tone everyone thinks of EMGS. Seymour Invaders are good. lol *prepares to get roasted*

If i had read this a year or two back i woulda flamed you so bad hahaha

I have EMGs in my guitar, and really, you're right. I was expecting a huge difference in sound, but there wasn't really any. They sound very nice, don't get me wrong, but not as nice as I was expecting.
Quote by hairball
thats not what he asked ^^.

i believe he asked whether you can have a guitar with just a bridge pickup. the answer to this is yes. you can. but, it won't be very versatile. if you want to have one pickup, then there is nothing stopping you having just the 85 in the bridge position, though if you were going to have a neck pickup i would strongly reccomend leaving the 85 in the bridge (opposing what Maddy! said) and having an EMG 60 in the neck as the cleans are far superior.

ya thats what i was wondering, im not looking at spending to much money on the guitar, because it will the the first one ive ever built. as long as it sounds ok ill be happy, anyway thanks!
"We could only wonder what he would have accomplished is his life hadn't ended so early"

----Randy Rhoads----
Quote by Maddy!

ya i have Seymour's on my main guitar and there awsome, but im looking for a different sound, so thats why im using EMG 85 on this guitar

----Randy Rhoads----