Hello,

I am a new member here, however I am not totally new to guitar. I owned two Squier Standard Strats, and traded them for a Fender Standard Telecaster, which I then had to sell to help pay rent because my girlfriend lost her job.

Anyways, I'd like to get back into the hobby, and I have a limit of about $200 for a guitar.

I didn't like my Strats, i thought they sounded tinny and cheap. I loved my Telecaster though, and the Squier Affinity Series Tele I tried out a few days ago felt good. I love the harsh distorted Tele tone, and the Tele neck shape feels perfect.

However, I'm thinking of something with a little more "meat." I've also tried a Epi Les Paul Special II, and the body and neck didn't feel as good as the Tele. I wasn't that impressed with the sound, but I'm going to try one again.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Last edited by CutlassSupreme at Jul 28, 2006,
you could try one of the lower end ibanez guitars, an S series or a cheap RG wouljd be cool. S series might suit you more though
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
What type of music are you wanting to play?
My Gear:

2005 Jackson RR3
1972 Yamaha FG 200
Ibanez 25R
I hear Agile guitars are pretty good.And cheap too you could get a nice agile les paul for as little as $100.And the rest to spend on an amp.If you save up about $150 more you can get an agile al-3000 wich I also hear is up to par with a gibson les paul studio
Originally Posted by RideTheAnger13
Getting a spider II for a gift is like getting coal for christmas. Whoever is getting that for you obviously doesn't like you.
You could get an Ibanez GAX-30. Its a really good guitar (for a low-end guitar) and will only run you about 180 USD.
Quote by RandyRhoads=God
I hear Agile guitars are pretty good.And cheap too you could get a nice agile les paul for as little as $100.And the rest to spend on an amp.If you save up about $150 more you can get an agile al-3000 wich I also hear is up to par with a gibson les paul studio

The person who said that was an idiot, and if you heard it on this forum, i think you forgot to mention that the person who said that probably got flamed to death.

You won't find any agile guitar on par with a gibson studio, but the 3500 and 3000 is probably better than the gibson les paul special.

But yeah, i've also heard good things about the agiles, they're probably good guitars. But saying a 350 dollar guitar holds its own against a 1300 dollar guitar is just plain stupid.
Quote by refgerto
The person who said that was an idiot, and if you heard it on this forum, i think you forgot to mention that the person who said that probably got flamed to death.

You won't find any agile guitar on par with a gibson studio, but the 3500 and 3000 is probably better than the gibson les paul special.

But yeah, i've also heard good things about the agiles, they're probably good guitars. But saying a 350 dollar guitar holds its own against a 1300 dollar guitar is just plain stupid.

Yeah, I've never played either but I think comparing guitars by prices is just plain stupid. I'm not saying the Studio isn't better that the Agile thats just my opinion.
Quote by MetalHead_AP
Yeah, I've never played either but I think comparing guitars by prices is just plain stupid. I'm not saying the Studio isn't better that the Agile thats just my opinion.

Thats only true to an extent. saying that price isn't an indicator as to quality is stupid though. In the extreme. And when the price difference is so big, its a definitive indicator.
Quote by refgerto

Im just saying someone hear on UG told me that.And is the Idiot comment directed towards me or the person who said that?
Getting a spider II for a gift is like getting coal for christmas. Whoever is getting that for you obviously doesn't like you.
^Its directed at the person who said it to you. You were just saying what you'd heard
Quote by refgerto

hey buddy, maybe you shouldnt say what you dont know, cause I doubt you've ever played an agile so you really have no idea what youre talking about. Here
is a full review from someone who owns both a gibson les paul studio and a agile AL-3000 and guess which one is better in the end

EDIT: Even more proof, I made a thread on agiles and someone went and tried out some other guitars to see how they compared to his agile, go down and see what clayjohnson said about his AL-3000
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Last edited by giorgio1210 at Jul 28, 2006,
Idiot.. People are biased. And the 14 year old kid who just got his new agile, don't you think the idea that the 1,300 guitar he wanted so bad really is not any better than his brand new agile-al 3000 appeals to him very much? And i suspect crunchmeister of being some 14 year old idiot who saw fir to blow up the agile fad here on UG. He certainly doesn't talk like an adult. Come on, why would a 30 yr old hang out in this cookpot of shiny new pubic hairs?

Anyways, i've never tried an agile al, i don't even live in america. But again, the 300 dollar guitar will never beat the 1,300 dollar guitar, thats just the way of life. Capiche?
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
first thing, im 15 and second of all you have no proof that it wont beat it as you've never ever touched an agile and no matter what you still dont know tht it doesnt beat a gibson or atleast competes with it. why do you think the get so much credit around here, maybe just maybe theyre as good of a deal as everyone says they are. third of all you shouldnt be talking aobut people lying about ages as you didnt even put your age on your profile, for all we know you could be even younger than me.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
God people chill out we all have opinions.And we should respect other peoples opinions unless they are Emos ok.Then we make fun of them and dont bother agknowledging what they said.
^lol
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Quote by refgerto
<lots of silly stuff snipped> Capiche?

Have you tried both?
Thought so.
Shush now.

I found 3000 to be awesome. If I had a choice between it and an LP Studio, I'd pick the Agile as its playability is easily on par. Just an opinion from someone who tried both specifically to check what the hype is all about. Hell, I almost impulsively bought the 3000... But I've too many guitars as is.

Oh, and belated props to Crunchmeister for that review.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by giorgio1210
first thing, im 15 and second of all you have no proof that it wont beat it as you've never ever touched an agile and no matter what you still dont know tht it doesnt beat a gibson or atleast competes with it. why do you think the get so much credit around here, maybe just maybe theyre as good of a deal as everyone says they are. third of all you shouldnt be talking aobut people lying about ages as you didnt even put your age on your profile, for all we know you could be even younger than me.

Im 17. Okay, whatever, you're right, i've never tried the agile. I don't think its as good as a gibson studio just from the price. Im sorry. I've played a lot of pretty unknown brands that are supposedly great guitars, nearly as good as gibsons. We're talking brands like morgan (local brand, they're okay, but they still don't rival gibsons), vintage, fender les paul copies (they exist), and they all sucked balls to my mind. So i assumed agile was the same deal. Sorry if i stepped on anyone's toes, i'll just quietly bow out.

My theory why they get so much cred? Because most of the people giving them the cred, are your age, or should i say "our age"? Anyway, and they've not too much experience with higher quality brands (Whatever you say, you can't test a guitar fully at a guitar store), and they really don't know what flaws to look for.

I mean, gibsons will always be for experienced musicians, not because some cosmic rule says noobs don't deserve them, but because only experienced musicians will be able to appreciate the finer details about the instrument, thus making it worth the thousands of grands they spent on it. Im not an experienced musicians. But i've had these talks with experienced musicians, and they've all told me the same. I don't need gibson, im perfectly happy with my epiphone. I'd even go as far as saying its just as good as all the gibsons i've actually tried at guitar stores. So thinks my friends. But i also know that someone with experience, would take one look at me holding my les paul copy, and shake their head in consternation.

Anyways, thats just my view of it all. Also, the inexpirienced guy will want his agile/epiphone/vintage to sound just as good as the gibson, and he'll get what he wants. Not because its the way things are, but because he wants it so bad. I can relate to that. But i know with myself that it isn't so.

I might be wrong. Agile might be the next gibson, the brand everyone talks about in 50 years as the pioneers of the new millenia as far as guitars are concerned. And i might sit there, with my long long white bears and a dried up gibson cradled in my arms, wishing i had one of those valuable vintage agiles.

But if they're not, i think my theory above will go a long way to explain the hype about agiles.

PS: The reason i made this post so long was so that you'd not bother to read it. If you did, get a life

Edit: Sorry to whomever i called an idiot. I have no other excuse other than the fact that im an idiot myself
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
oops, I need a life lol. I know what you mean for the first like 3 months of owning my strat copy and crappy 10 watt amp I was completely satisfied with it an was having tons of fun with the lame overdrive of the amp. I wanted a fender just because it was the only guitar I knew and mostly just cause it was a fender and same with gibson I wanted one cause I thought they looked cool and also cause the name. I still want a fender but this time for the right reasons and I still wouldnt mind a gibson but I really dont care if I have a guitar just as good cept for the fact it doesnt say fende or gibson on it, I'll sitll feel like I iwn a fender/gibson but I obviously wont but it wont bother me.

im glad we've ended this feud and came to an agreement

-giorgio
Quote by King ofKumbucha
wow.

My FIRST THREAD on this forum, a simple question, became a pissing contest.

Anyways, my musical taste consists of classic rock (The Who, Stones, Cream, Led Zepplin I, AC/DC, things of that nature) and REAL punk (Sex Pistols, The Clash)

Once again, I have a limit of $200. I know i'm not getting a masterpiece instrument for $200, but some entry-level instruments are better than others, and I'm asking for any feedback in that price range.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Last edited by CutlassSupreme at Jul 31, 2006,