Hi all,

im confused, people say that theres 5 notes in the pentatonic scale, iv consulted cyber fret and they say that the scale is constructed of E G A C D or something, i dont know if that right but wtf?!

Minor pentatonic:
------------------------------------5--8------
-------------------------------5--8-------
------------------------5--7---------------
------------------5--7-----------------------
------------5--7-------------------------------
------5 8--------------------------------

clearly there is 12 notes there, playing 12 notes when you play that scale, so where the f*ck the E G A C D, how come theres only 5?
yeah once you get past the fith note the rest are just the same five notes higher up
According to your diagram the root note is A. It occurs on the fifth fret of the E string, seventh fret of the D string and on the fifth fret of the e string. After five notes, the scale repeats itself in a higher or lower octave.
that whole paragraph made no sense....

E G A C D are the only notes in that scale - thats 5 notes - thats why its pentatonic. notes are played more than once in the scale put at different places on the guitar neck

EDIT: that explanation was rubbish - it goes E G A C D E G A C D E G- they are the five notes being used in one scale

hope that makes sense
Last edited by y2james2005 at Jul 28, 2006,
e minor pentatonic consists of root - b3 - 4 - 5 - b7or e g a b d. then the same pattern repeats an octave higher. from these notes you have the em chord e (root) g(flattened 3rd) b (fifth). i wont go any further as it will take hours to go into this scale but if you find all thes notes on the fret borad you will see different patterns around the neck. once you know the shapes and patterns you can transpose them into different keys. look around the net there are millionsof lessons on this.
why don't you take a few seconds to figure out what notes you are playing it happens to be a minor pentatonic the notes are A-C-D-E-G the 6th string 5th fret is an a then as you go down you get to g then back to a and go through the scale again and end on the c again
Quote by JerrySeinfeld
Hi all,

im confused, people say that theres 5 notes in the pentatonic scale, iv consulted cyber fret and they say that the scale is constructed of E G A C D or something, i dont know if that right but wtf?!

Minor pentatonic:
------------------------------------5--8------
-------------------------------5--8-------
------------------------5--7---------------
------------------5--7-----------------------
------------5--7-------------------------------
------5 8--------------------------------

clearly there is 12 notes there, playing 12 notes when you play that scale, so where the f*ck the E G A C D, how come theres only 5?

Oh My god....
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
penta means five. there are five notes in this scale root B3 4 5 b7 / 1 2 3 4 5
Am pentatnoic scale(box pattern at the 5th fret):

A C D E G A C D E G A C
1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 1 2

oop whats that? im counting up to 5 omgz. I guess theres 5 notes in the scale..
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Quote by The Iron Man
Am pentatnoic scale(box pattern at the 5th fret):

A C D E G A C D E G A C
1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 5 1 2

oop whats that? im counting up to 5 omgz. I guess theres 5 notes in the scale..

thats doesnt mean f*cking anything to me!! What the hell is with the numbers? to me that just looks like you randomly typed numbers underneath a bunch of letters, you havnt explained.
There is only 5 notes in there. Think about it for a little bit and you will get it. Example. The 5th fret and 8th fret of both E strings are the same note. therefore, there are only 2 notes there, not 4. Use that logic to figure it out.
Member # 2 of the Kiss Sucks and Has Too Much **** They Hock as Merchindise Club Pm DoTheEvolution to join.
5th fret on the E string is an A. 7 on the D string is also an A. 5th on the high E string is also an A. Those three notes in this pattern are all A.

Here's the note names on the fret board. If you don't count repeated note names, there's only five notes

5th          8th
 fret        fret
|-A-|---|---|-C-|
|-E-|---|---|-G-|
|-C-|---|-D-|---|
|-G-|---|-A-|---|
|-D-|---|-E-|---|
|-A-|---|---|-C-|