Is there something you need to do to get permission to play cover songs at gigs? Or can you just play whatever cover songs you want and not worry about legal issues?
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.
i dont think many artists are going to sue a no name local band because they played their song once.....

its a different story if you plan on covering a song on a cd. then you need permission.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Alright, just making sure...cuz I wanna stay on the safe side.
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.
If it sold a load the band would probably want a cut.
Quote by Tom Martin

Jeez... if your house was on fire, what would you do? Phone the fire department, or go on UG and ask us what to do?
Here's how it works for playing covers live. Venues pay fees to ASCAP & BMI for performance rights. Every venue that plays music and all restuarants pay this small fee each month which covers both agencies. Any songwriter worth anything belongs to one of those organizations.

There is also a "Fair use" law which lets really small places have a radio on or something, which is free.

As for the demo CD, you should record about 30 seconds of each song to give people a taste and fade out from there. Do not sell the demo.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.