My band needed something to record demo songs on... so i decided to build a portable little computer. It is by no means good at all, but it records well enough. Hook up two crappy mics for the drumset (one at the bass drum, and one between the toms) and you have a working recordable drum set (sounds fine for a crappy demo). Mic the amps, and adjust volumes and you're set. Yes, it works, and yes, it sounds fine to keep down song ideas instead of tabbing them out (no one in my band but the bassist reads standard notation).

anyway, specs:

"Power Man" FSP250-60GTA
MSI K7T Pro2 Mobo
AMD T-Bird 1Ghz
384MB Ram
GeForce 4 MX440
Maxtor 40GB drive (29GB in windows?)
Lite-On 52x32x52 CD-RW
State-of-the-art cardboard box

It's completely portable and working. I got my hands on an MSDN copy of WinXP Pro so I threw that on there, along with Sony Acid 4.0 and a spare copy of Nero to burn CDs.

The moment you've been waiting for, pics!

www.bostonrinkrats.com/solidxsnake/Overclockin'/comp%20pics/studiocomp/comp.jpg
www.bostonrinkrats.com/solidxsnake/Overclockin'/comp%20pics/studiocomp/IO.jpg
www.bostonrinkrats.com/solidxsnake/Overclockin'/comp%20pics/studiocomp/in.jpg
www.bostonrinkrats.com/solidxsnake/Overclockin'/comp%20pics/studiocomp/in2.jpg
www.bostonrinkrats.com/solidxsnake/Overclockin'/comp%20pics/studiocomp/in3.jpg

Anyone else want one?
give you twenty bucks for one. haha
Quote by humperdunk

So I just woke up sitting in my desk chair, with my bong on the desk in a bunch of little pieces and my hand super glued to my penis. Speculations as to what the hell just happened and how to unglue my hand from my member would be appreciated.
that is a fine piece of equipment. thats how jesus would record the audio soundtrack to the apocolypse. sexy
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by sillybuuger12
you might wanna buy/build a casing for that before the carboard dies!

Cardboard is in good shape after transferring back and forth to 3 houses

Yeah, i need some cash for a case... and a new guitar..

and LoG's Sacrament....

god damn my parents and their "we're not letting you get a job because you'll become an old man working at a grocery store"
well in that case say to them look i would buy this if i had a job so your just gonna have to pay for it instead.
Ghetto

Looks like quite a nice setup though part from the carboard box. Hmmm.. I've got lots of PC parts laying around...
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
WOW! Get your ghetto box for the low low low price of $999.99 USD

Great Idea. Also I see you have the title "Comp-savvy",So do you have any step by step sites on building a computer?
Mental Transmissions
-Coming Soon to Podcast-
Email:MentalTransmissions@gmail.com

Quote by Dudage

SPELL SOME WORDS.
It doesn't take that much effort to write out words in thier entirety.
d00 u undrstnd wht 1'm s4ying 2 u?

#3 - UG Evanescence F-Club
Last edited by MentalTrans at Jul 28, 2006,
Quote by Calum_Barrow
Ghetto

Looks like quite a nice setup though part from the carboard box. Hmmm.. I've got lots of PC parts laying around...

Throw it together man!

I got 3 free rigs from a friend, one an 866 tbird. one a 1ghz tbird, and a K6-2 500

edit:

building is nothing. it's a matter of sticking color coded and keyed objects into matching coded and keyed things. The hardest part about building is knowing what to buy (what motherboard, what processor, what and how much ram, what kind of case and power supply, knowing if all the parts are compatible etc etc). It's much like building a guitar actually. Though a guitar is much harder

But since you mention it:

I consider myself a forum ***** over at www.ocforums.com. They're the forum site of www.overclockers.com.

btw, my main rig is watercooled:

http://www.bostonrinkrats.com/solidxsnake/overclockin'/comp%20pics/watercooling/2uv.jpg

Last edited by SolidxSnake at Jul 28, 2006,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=SubCatDeals&SubCategory=7

cheap brand new cases

when i say cheap i mean $13 and up
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
Quote by red star
that is a fine piece of equipment. thats how jesus would record the audio soundtrack to the apocolypse. sexy

LOL
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
Quote by SuperAnalytical
How much would you charge for one of those?

Really depends on the parts. I could build you a brand spankin' new computer in a desktop case provided you buy all the parts and pay for all shipping. I'll charge a mere $25 for labor. I enjoy doin this ****, mind you

Quote by RAGEING_BAD_@$$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=SubCatDeals&SubCategory=7

cheap brand new cases

when i say cheap i mean $13 and up

You don't know the meaning of "no personal income"
1) How's the quality on yours?
2) How much would the same parts be for yours/(if "bad" to above) what would be the parts to upgrade for better quality?
Quote by SuperAnalytical
1) How's the quality on yours?
2) How much would the same parts be for yours/(if "bad" to above) what would be the parts to upgrade for better quality?

Well, I meant like building a new rig with brand new parts.

the quality of my current one is just fine for our uses. Typing up lyrics instead of writing them, as well as tabs. And recording demo tracks to put up on myspace. Acid works fine for mixing and a little editing. Almost all the parts in this computer are discontinued (all stuff from around 2k). However, used this would total to around $300, maybe $400 if the seller was lucky.
Quote by SolidxSnake

You don't know the meaning of "no personal income"

ok every one chips in 5 dollers
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
The money you spend on a case is going to be worthwhile, its gonna be a lot more expensive if say the motherboard dies, or just about any component but the hd has a problem.
Quote by take_it_t
The money you spend on a case is going to be worthwhile, its gonna be a lot more expensive if say the motherboard dies, or just about any component but the hd has a problem.

Well, it's not really moving around aside from a meter radius. It's always on floor as well.

You guys all underestimate the power of the cardboard box LMAO

there's probably a total of 5lbs at most in that box. Add another pound or two for the PSU.

Only problem I can see is ESD (Electrostatic Discharge), but really, i'm not that worried on that haha
Quote by SolidxSnake
Well, I meant like building a new rig with brand new parts.

the quality of my current one is just fine for our uses. Typing up lyrics instead of writing them, as well as tabs. And recording demo tracks to put up on myspace. Acid works fine for mixing and a little editing. Almost all the parts in this computer are discontinued (all stuff from around 2k). However, used this would total to around $300, maybe $400 if the seller was lucky.

I know you meant about a whole new rig and stuff. But since it's more (albeit, only $50 more) than the recording studio the band I am with that we will be using then it appears that I am not as much interested. That's the best I can put it.

Thanks for answering my questions though. And nice job on it too.
SolidxSnake when you put
Maxtor 40GB drive (29GB in windows?)
did the question mark mean you were confused on why it only showed 29 GB of space? If so how did you format the drive with NTFS or FAT32?, because if you went with FAT32 than the max that Win XP can format is 32GB, but NTFS can format something like 300+ GB.
i thought my rig was bad, at least mines got a case lol
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
hahahaha, case doesn't matter, i could screw this into a wall for all I care

BTW, it's formatted in NTFS... I checked the maxtor site and it said the drive was 40GB.. i should check again, as i didn't check the whole datasheet, just the series, so maybe i was reading the wrong number.
If i record I'd set up RAID...

if you're really power stingy...use linux. 1/10th the idle RAM usage and free up processor power. :-D
Instruments : Guitar, Flute/Piccolo, Tenor/Alto Saxophone

Wheeee....i just like metal so I want to play metal. maybe other stuff here and there too.
Alright, here's the lowdown on the harddrive.

The retail size is different from the formatted size.

While a drive may have 180GB originally, once you format it it leaves you about 160GB free of data-storage space.

It's not the way you format it, it's just one of the 'quirky' rules of the computer game.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
by far the most ghetto thing ive seen in a looong time...and i love you for it
Quote by Raven
i would much rather go to the ****ing hospital and have them surgically reattach my penis instead of slap some silly puddy on there and call 'er "mangled johnny"
Quote by Hypnot1st

While a drive may have 180GB originally, once you format it it leaves you about 160GB free of data-storage space.

It's not the way you format it, it's just one of the 'quirky' rules of the computer game.

I know that, but having a 40GB drive shouldn't drop to 29gb..
Quote by Hypnot1st

its not quite that bad. this is a WD800 80gig drive. overall, it's only lost 6gig

Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
It's because drive manufacturers count 1GB as 1000MB, and not 1024MB like a real MB is.

Say your drive is 80GB. For a drive manufacturer, that's 80mil bytes. 80mil bytes/1000MB is 80,000MB, or 80GB. Really, it should be 80mil bytes/1024MB, which is 78,125MB, or 76.29GB.
Quote by SolidxSnake
It's because drive manufacturers count 1GB as 1000MB, and not 1024MB like a real MB is.

Say your drive is 80GB. For a drive manufacturer, that's 80mil bytes. 80mil bytes/1000MB is 80,000MB, or 80GB. Really, it should be 80mil bytes/1024MB, which is 78,125MB, or 76.29GB.

aaaha. got it now
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Hi SolidxSnake,
boy I was a bit insulted when ya said it was an old POS comp u r using, as i am using just such a setup minus the box right at the moment but it is only 933Mhz, the comp i use daily is this 1 as it is in my work area, (used 2 use it as a tester 4 copmuter daughterboards, sound cards, drives, CD, DVD, USB, & of course downloading Sony games off the net)
Dont let any1 get up ya NOSE about what it looks like. Who gives a rats arse what it looks like, so long as it does the job u intend it 4 then its a GR8 piece of equiptment, the fact that u have yours in a box & therefore portable , well (aside from the fire hazzard, heat from CPU, also the PSU) makes it all the better.

Jokes aside ive been doing this with as i call it a test rig since 286 computers were around, i would seriously give a thought 2 getting rid of the box, for something a little more fire resistant, maybe a kitty litter tray? or something similar.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I do this plenty as well. On my main rig, i've had to remove all components a few times; once to cut up the fan grills in the case to quiet them, give them better airflow, and to extend their lives; and once to cut up my case for my watercooling.

On that rig i'm using the socket area on the rear of the mobo doesn't even get past 30C at most. the CPU probably runs somewhere in the 40C range full load (it normally idles). The PSU is extremely cool, a 250w fortron-built PSU can easily power a tbird rig

my main rig, while i was modding case for WC:

http://bostonrinkrats.com/solidxsnake/overclockin'/comp%20pics/caseless.jpg

I highly doubt the rig is unsafe. I'll eventually cut up a trash bin or something
Lets see. 40 gigs? The companys mesure a gigabyte as 1,000 megabytes when they tell you how big it is(marketing). The actual size of a gigabyte is 1,024 megabytes, this is also how Windows mesures a gig. So theres some of the difference, plus, you need to subtract 5-8 gigs for Windows XP. As you can tell, im also comp-savvy. And a poor metalhead as well.

Edit: DAMNIT, i didnt read the second page to see you had already explained that. MOTHER****.
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Last edited by moomoocons at Jul 30, 2006,
Quote by moomoocons
Lets see. 40 gigs? The companys mesure a gigabyte as 1,000 megabytes when they tell you how big it is(marketing). The actual size of a gigabyte is 1,024 megabytes, this is also how Windows mesures a gig. So theres some of the difference, plus, you need to subtract 5-8 gigs for Windows XP. As you can tell, im also comp-savvy. And a poor metalhead as well.

Edit: DAMNIT, i didnt read the second page to see you had already explained that. MOTHER****.

So we're basically the same?
A Couple things... Seriously, put it in something other than cardboard... have you ever touched a motherboard while the proccesser is under stress, that is some hott stuff... i have had a blister from one of them things, not to mention it was a newer computer! also, the rig is actually pretty good, atleast compared to mine.... mine is
Thinkpad 380XD Laptop
32Mb Ram
2Gig HDD
400-500Mhz
Win95
Sound Recorder
w/
EuroRack UB41 Mixer
I run all the instrments into the mixer,
Then it goes into a spliced 1/4 inch to a 1/8 inch
into my computers line in port
Then it goes into my pops old stereo.
It gets AWESOME sound quality as long as
I set the quality higest in sound recorder
But the only problem is is that the RAM is filled
after 94 seconds... then it freezes... so all i need
is more RAM....
\ 380XD \
\___________\____
|___|___________|

Also, You should consider using HddOgg,
you can record directly to OGGVORBIS
AWESOME Sound Quality 18Hours-1Gig

You might have to find something to convert it to MP3 To burn it though... just check download.com
LOL, ouch man. 32mb ram and 2gb HDD? that's really REALLY old.

and trust me man, it's not gonna burn up a cardboard box. I know plenty about computers and heat. This thing barely makes the box hot, and that's directly behind the socket. The thing runs around 30C idle, and that's a die reading. So if i were to measure the back of the board, right behind the socket, it'd probably be 28C at most.