Well I have decided lately that when it comes to creating solos, I suck. So im trying to build up my technique and skill but its hard to find a starting point. How did you build up your solo skills? What did you learn, or need to learn. Scales would be the first on my mind, but I have a hard time building on them. Any good solos, or articles anyone could recommend to help me? What I am really trying to learn is composition. Can anyone help?
its really more your first thought than anything. the more licks you can pull out of automatic reaction, instead of platting, and just knowing what to hit and when, is more important than how many scales you know. what i did when i started playing with scales was just get it good and ripe in my mind how each and every note in the pattern sounded, and how they agreed with each other in each of my licks. then i just tried to play anything that came to mind while playing with a backing track , using that particular scale. it works if you do it alot
nothing left to write,

kevin
Play along with a backing track. Just a simple loop of drums and a rhythm guitar or bass. Then just start improvising. And I'd say start simple. Just use the pentatonic scale until you're comfortable enough making stuff up then mess around with other scales. Phrasing and melodic control are harder to master than scales (just my opinion, I'm sure others could disagree)
i started with the solo on the unforgiven.. i started there......sorry if its no help
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
go to the lessons and there are plenty of lessons on soloing, you should learn theory from the start because if u dont it comes back and bites you in the ass like this. But there is a very good book by troy stetina on soloing(cant remeber name) but it is very good. Basicly learn some theory and when you learn a scale say cmaj pentatonic you should practice the small techniques like hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides and stuff like that. Also when going through scales you are building your picking up. I dont know what style you play so i dont know how much technique you need/want to learn.

I started like this:1. basics(picking,hammers etc.)
2. easy tapping
3. easy legato
4. basic 3 string sweeps

I would do these until i could do each one to a basic level. the reason i done it like this was the hammers and all would help my legato and then so would the tapping, so i hav already got a lot of my legato owrk done for me its just a matter of putting it all together. I would then do my sweeps seperate but still practising my other techniques. Then when i got my basic sweeping down i could add in some tapping at the end of it and some hammers/pulls in between as well(but this was deadly, still havin trouble with it). So imo i think this is a very good way of learning to solo technique wise.

Theory i think should come first, that way when you learn techniques you and combine your theory knowledge you are learning patterns of tapping and sweeping etc at the same time and keeping the theory freshin your mind.
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

I have the Troy Stetina book "speed mechanics for Lead guitar" if thats what you mean Mr.Loomis_shred. Its a pretty good book coems with a CD and teachees a lot from left hand techniques and improvisation to right hand picking skills. I think you can pick a copy up of amazon for cheap. Other then that you just need to learn music theory and stick with it. I am learning it now and it takes a lot of time. But look in the right places and websites and you can dig up some helpful stuff. Its all about being creative.
Ok thanks for all the replies! You all gave me alot to go on. Theory is very important to me, which is why I studied music theory along with learning the guitar. Of course in order to play the guitar well, theory is needed to fully understand all aspects of playing the guitar.
Yea steve_slash thats the one, i must get it back i miss it.
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now