Just for fun, I was wondering who are the top idiots/most ridiculous things you have met or heard from other musicians over the years. Here are my favorites:

1. There was once a neighbour that rode his bike to our practice spot. He sat in on drums swearing he could play and it was terrible. He then told us he wanted us to kick out our drummer and hire him because he had all these connections and knew about the record business. I could tell he was bull ****ting when he started talking about how record labels work and I was the only one who had formally studied music business. Turns out he rode his bike because he had no license (at 24 years old.) He then auditioned for a band and they told me it was embarrasing at gigs. I then auditioned and he lost his job.

2. The drummer who told me playing with a CD throws off his "timing."

3. When one of my guitarist told me he doesn't care about money and just wants to be happy playing music.

Me- "What do you want to do for a living anyways?"

him- "Play music"

Me- "Good luck with that"

4. When a friend told me his first act drum set sounded just as good as any $1,000 set out there.

5. When a band stated they had been signed to the record label owned by Hanson. This was one of the worst bands in my area and if you are going to lie about being signed, you could at least say something worth being signed to.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Quote by Dutch_Apples
3. When one of my guitarist told me he doesn't care about money and just wants to be happy playing music.

What's wrong with that?
i think (and i could be wrong) what he is insinuating was that his guitarist wants to make a living playing music but at the same time doesn't care about $$$$...... thats like me saying "all i wanna do is work customer service cuz it makes me happy, i don't care about $$$' it's a great idea, but unless you wanna be living on a street and dying from starvation it's not terribly realistic......

a friend of mine once said "dude it doesn't matter if you just play 2 chords, as long as they sound good, like nirvana!" what this guy failed to realize is that nirvana had arrangements for their really simple songs..... oh yeah and their bass player made up for the simple chord progressions...... (i'm not bashing nirvana by any means, i dig the hell out of them, but this guy was TOTALLY blind to that and somehow thought he could get famous playing tons of 2 and 3 chord songs, and even these songs were just one riff over and over and over and over for 4-5 minutes)
Quote by z4twenny
i think (and i could be wrong) what he is insinuating was that his guitarist wants to make a living playing music but at the same time doesn't care about $$$$...... thats like me saying "all i wanna do is work customer service cuz it makes me happy, i don't care about $$$' it's a great idea, but unless you wanna be living on a street and dying from starvation it's not terribly realistic......

So you assume that because he isn't making money playing music that he won't be making money from elsewhere? Playing music and not expecting money is also a lot more realistic than expecting to be a rockstar making $50,000 a day, too.

Meh, I have no time for a thread in where the sole purpose is to pad ones ego at the expense of others, have fun.
Local band cover a song with a high vocal part - the singer doesn't sing it at that pitch because his voice starts to crack up and sound VERY weak. Fair enough I thought - this guy can't sing high very well.

They also play another song where they've moved everything up from the original recording. Now I didn't really know this song, but it has a high verse/chorus vocal part and this guy sounded like crap on it EVERY time.

How does that make sense?
Quote by Dutch_Apples
2. The drummer who told me playing with a CD throws off his "timing."

So? It happens to loads of drummers. Some prefer not to play with a click track or anything 'cause its off-putting.

To be fair you sound like you need to pull your head from your arse on some of the statements you made.
I enjoy a hearty roast dinner...

...for breakfast.
I know this one idiot that never searched for a topic he was about to post and didn't find it in The Pit.
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.
This doesn't belong in the Pit, it involves bandleading. Maybe UG users just don't know how to have fun.

And I can't keep a straight face when talking to people who claim CDs and metronomes throw off their timing.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
...there's a thread just like this in The Pit...
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.
Dutch_Apples you are one of the most arrogant and haughty musicians I have ever read posts from. You seem like a smart person, but in at least 50% of your posts you seem like a jerk. If a drummer gets thrown off by playing with a CD, who are you to mock him/her? If someone wants to play music for the love of music, why are you tearing him down?

Chill out, dude. You're not the Zeus of UG.
^Uh, wow.

There doesn't seem to be an elitism here at all. If anybody needs to chill, it's you.
Looking for my India/Django.
And I can't keep a straight face when talking to people who claim CDs and metronomes throw off their timing.

I find it hard to play bass to some (not all) CD's, Metronomes i'm fine with and I can keep time well live but I just get confused with two basslines running.
Everyone just chill. Topic creator this shoulda been in the Pit sorry.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.