So ive been playin for around a year now and the best song i can play is master of the puppets, is that bad or good, and also are people being sarcastic when the talk about stairway to heaven being hard coz i find it easy

Please Comment
You know what man, I've been playing bass for alittle over a year...and all the questions that I've been asked.."can you play this?" "how about this?" "You cant play that song!".......Its not determined what songs you can play or cannot, it doesnt matter if someone is better than you or not. What matters is that you do it cause you like music and you respect musicians that much that you want to learn their songs. People are gonna call me "gay" and "retard" but your only as good as you think you CAN be. So....play music to play music. RESPECTS TO YOU.
And keep on rockin' in a free world.
IF YOU CANT BEAT UM, JOIN UM....and THEN WHEN THEY ARE ALL COZZY, BEAT THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF THEM AND TELL EVERYONE YOU DID IT RESPECTFULLY
If you could at least say " Master of puppets " and not master of the puppets.........

If you play both solos, i guess ur good.
If you can play both those songs perfect..solos and all then your pretty good =)
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
Can you compose or improvise?
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
I thought being good at guitar as a metal guitarist was like being able to play at least Cannon Rock.
how does being able to play a certain song determine if you are any good at guitar? sure maybe you can play canon rock or master of puppets or some other ****. but can you write a song worth listening to? do you have any sort of feeling to your playing? can you improvise? being able to play someone else's material doesn't determine if you're good at guitar.
If you sent us a recording of "Master of the Puppets" .....then maybe we could hear if You can play the song very well, or if you **** it up the ass, and totally destroy it.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

if you have to ask if you are good based off of a certain song, then im going to say that you probably arent very good. i mean, if you have some skill you should know. also, you say you can play a song, but that doesnt tell us the quality at which you play it. also, just basing your skill off of one song is a poor idea because that might be the only thing you can play. because you have to ask, im going to say you arent very good. but guess what. my opinion isnt worth a damn thing because its you who has to decide if you think you are good or not.
I dont give a **** what songs you can play, if your a fan of sum 41, your gay.
"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
-Emiliano Zapata
It's hard to define what good guitarist is like. But I knida agree with DigitaLis. A good guitarist should be able to play almost any songs and write his/her own songs.
Quote by seamus90'
I dont give a **** what songs you can play, if your a fan of sum 41, your gay.

You're an idiot. Go die or something.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
u are amazing and i want to suck ur dick.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Theres a difference between playing something, and playing something well. The guys saying Stairway is easy, record a cover with other musicians on bass/drums etc and upload it here.
Quote by grrrr
It's hard to define what good guitarist is like. But I knida agree with DigitaLis. A good guitarist should be able to play almost any songs and write his/her own songs.

I beg to differ. I don't see that being a musician has to go along with being a composer. Some people in orchestras are amazing musicians, yet never compose their own stuff. Likewise, some people (say Cobain) have great skill at writing, yet aren't too good when it comes to technical ability with their instrument. I still have great respect for both these types of people.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by TheUnholy
I beg to differ. I don't see that being a musician has to go along with being a composer. Some people in orchestras are amazing musicians, yet never compose their own stuff. Likewise, some people (say Cobain) have great skill at writing, yet aren't too good when it comes to technical ability with their instrument. I still have great respect for both these types of people.

Well...almost anyone can play someone else's music. So what's so amazing about that? Surely, they have talent but I think being a muscian is more than just playing someone else's song.
Theres only a few that are being nice on this thread, i am only asking a question, if you notice how i spell the song then you dont have enough things goin on in your life. And all of you who think 'im gay' bcoz i like sum41 can go and lick their own arseholes, better still go suck their moms dick
Quote by DiGiTaLiS
how does being able to play a certain song determine if you are any good at guitar? sure maybe you can play canon rock or master of puppets or some other ****. but can you write a song worth listening to? do you have any sort of feeling to your playing? can you improvise? being able to play someone else's material doesn't determine if you're good at guitar.

I find this an odd statement. Being able to play certain songs can certainly determine your skill at guitar. If you can pull out a Dream Theater record and shred along with Pertucci, then it's a safe bet you've got some skills. Creativity and technical skill are two entirely different monsters.

Anyway, on to the orignal question. It's hard to answer because we can't actually hear you play the song. So here's what I ask...

Are you downpicking the entire song (minus the solos)?
Can you play both solos?
Can you play along with the cd and keep pace?

If you can do all of the above, and you keep your mistakes to a minimum, then you're doing well for a year of playing.
master of puppets in one year? how long do you practice? and do you even go to school anymore?
Quote by snwpaint32
You know what man, I've been playing bass for alittle over a year...and all the questions that I've been asked.."can you play this?" "how about this?" "You cant play that song!".......Its not determined what songs you can play or cannot, it doesnt matter if someone is better than you or not. What matters is that you do it cause you like music and you respect musicians that much that you want to learn their songs. People are gonna call me "gay" and "retard" but your only as good as you think you CAN be. So....play music to play music. RESPECTS TO YOU.
And keep on rockin' in a free world.

amen brother
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310