Im looking at getting a bridge pickup for my s470 Ibanez-thinkin of either a EMG 81 or a JB4. Heard some good and bad things re the JB4 but the tEMG is pretty pricey when you add on installation costs.

I know the basic sound is more organic when passive but slightly less responsive and 'picks up' a bit less. Im just looking for some more sustain and a good hard rock tone..

Any suggestions?.. (i cant afford the Mark Tremoti!)
if you go active you need to change the whole 3 pickups, because the pot values are different and such.
strat player forever.
Ah, i never knew that-i was wondering why they always combine the 81 and the 85-thats my decision made..now just which Seymour Duncan to get!
Quote by Aidy Damage
Duncan JB would be perfect for what you want to do.

Judgeing by your choice of gear ill reserve judgement! No offence!
EMG's pwn. awesome pick ups.

duncan JB sucks. full shreds (sh-10) kicks ass though.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Leikin Batayeye Mahavishnu saheb, Hard rock ke liye Active EMG's Kyon? SH4 JB kaafi hai ! Zyada output hein usme.

Hope you understand, he he !!

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
what type of hard rock do you play, and what amp do you have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gpderek09
EMG's pwn. awesome pick ups.

duncan JB sucks. full shreds (sh-10) kicks ass though.

You can't just sayd they that they suck, they maybe don't suit you. They are probably one of Seymour's best known pickups.
Quote by jmac72187
You can't just sayd they that they suck, they maybe don't suit you. They are probably one of Seymour's best known pickups.

i second that the jb is not great. And I play hard rock. The music that it's aimed at.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
And i third it JB does suck though the full shred is awesome and the SH-6 isnt so bad not as bad as the JB but not what could be considered great. EMGS pwn look into Dimarzios though they are awesome as well
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
4th vote for the JB as kind of lackluster. I won't go as far as to say sucked, since alot of people get a decent tone out of them, just not my preference. I owned the JB in an Ibanez RG, and it was just too quacky and trebly for me. Although the pole adjustment helped, it wasn't enough for me personally. That was basswood however, so maybe mahogany would have been better. Basswood is usually pretty good at evening things out however, which is it's strength and flaw, but it was still too much for me.

I think if you have the opportunity to get the PRS tremonti pups, you should take them. They are great sounding pups IMO, lots of clarity and output, and I know they sound excellent in mahogany. I own several sets of EMG and a Bareknuckle MM set to compare, and I think the PRS would probably suit what you're looking for better.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by emperor_black
Leikin Batayeye Mahavishnu saheb, Hard rock ke liye Active EMG's Kyon? SH4 JB kaafi hai ! Zyada output hein usme.

Hope you understand, he he !!

yes...i understand completely, that happened to me once aswell lol