hey yall. i went to guitar center today to try out a VHT Pitbull combo, didnt like it. then the guy working there suggested the B-52 AT-212, what an amp. i got really nice clean and really heavy rectifier distortion, the guy says its cause it uses rectifier tubes, like the ones in mesa rectifiers. its used, in great condition, and selling for $600, but the dude said he'd cut me a deal for $500 and that i could also trade in my Crate and get about $150 credit twards the amp, so id only have to pay out about $350. before i make my final decision, id like to hear some feedback on yalls opinions of the amp, personal experiences, good and bad. any input is appericated.
I own the head version and I absolutely love it. I can do metal blues and you can choose between Tube A, AB or Solid State rectifiers. They have different sounds to them. $350 is a great deal. Some of the older ones are known to have reverb problems so check that. If the factory warranty is out then try and get one from guitar center if it is offered. The factory one is 5 years though.

To sum it up, it is the poor mans recto. It has a recto style distortion but can do more than just that.
If you really cranked it at the store and found no problems, go for it. Thing is to test at high volume and gain for an hour or so to see if it will hold up( goes for any used tube amp though).
Quote by jmac72187
To sum it up, it is the poor mans recto.

haha well then i guess its for me then

Quote by havocrus
If you really cranked it at the store and found no problems, go for it. Thing is to test at high volume and gain for an hour or so to see if it will hold up( goes for any used tube amp though).

trust me, i cranked it. for some reason, it was a slow day, there was like no one in there, so i got to crank it, i love doing that with tube amps plyed it for about 40 minutes cranked and no problems what so ever.
Quote by llanafreak44
get it, and finally get rid of that crate =) and cross tube amp off your things to come list

trust me, i cant wait to get rid of that thing, waste of money. and i replaced "tube amp" with "B-52 AT-212" cause ive decided to get it. i just gotta get some more money first, ive only got about $200, but i should have it by next week.
Quote by keeponrockin
I was looking at the same jump, I HATE my GT-212.

yeah when i first got it, i thought it was the **** cause how big it is. then i got an ear for tone, now i cant stand it. ill be so happy when i get the B-52. are you going for a B-52 also or just a tube amp in general?
um..if u like the way it sounds..go for it man...i owned it for like 2 weeks...liked it at first..but then realized it didnt suit my style. returned it and got a fender hot rod deville instead..love it to death do us part...
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by frank694
um..if u like the way it sounds..go for it man...i owned it for like 2 weeks...liked it at first..but then realized it didnt suit my style. returned it and got a fender hot rod deville instead..love it to death do us part...

It really all depends on style. If you are a Fender blues type guy, it would be better to go for a fender. Classic rock type guy then maybe a JCM800 or AC30 with OD. But if you are looking for a recto style tone, then the B-52 will suit you.
I have had this amp for a little over a month now, and to be totally honest, I think the gain is terrible. I dont know what exactly it is, but im guessing its probably the tubes (they are stock). I cant get any sort of real crunch out of it at all. It does blues and some lower gain classic rock pretty damn well, as well as the clean being great, but when I crank the gain up, it just sounds muddy. Im guessing that probably the used one you were playing had its tubes replaced or something, but for anyone who plays anything with a decent ammount of gain, you probably are going to end up either replacing the tubes or using a pedal.
yeah i got the crate gt65, there so ****..ill check that b-52 amp out as well...good luck with it
o yea...it gets crazy crazy hot...thats the main reason why i returned it.
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by frank694
o yea...it gets crazy crazy hot...thats the main reason why i returned it.

There's a pretty funny solution for that, go out and buy a compute case fan and stick it in the back of the amp, it's supposed to work really well. I don't know if it really will though, but it sounds like a good idea
Quote by Dr.Ripper
There's a pretty funny solution for that, go out and buy a compute case fan and stick it in the back of the amp, it's supposed to work really well. I don't know if it really will though, but it sounds like a good idea

that was the plan...but why spend extra money for sum crap i shoudlnt haveto buy in the first place
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by Brainwash
I have had this amp for a little over a month now, and to be totally honest, I think the gain is terrible. I dont know what exactly it is, but im guessing its probably the tubes (they are stock). I cant get any sort of real crunch out of it at all. It does blues and some lower gain classic rock pretty damn well, as well as the clean being great, but when I crank the gain up, it just sounds muddy. Im guessing that probably the used one you were playing had its tubes replaced or something, but for anyone who plays anything with a decent ammount of gain, you probably are going to end up either replacing the tubes or using a pedal.

really? when i played it, it had great tone. and i think the tubes were stock. just mess with the EQ a bit
^ Oh I have. I messed with it for 3 days straight after I bought it, and I couldnt get it even close to the floor model that I had been playing at Guitar Center. That led me to believe that the tubes on the one I played had been replaced (it is a floor model, after all, so its probably played quite a bit), so right now im just using an MT-2 for at least a decent crunch until I can afford getting new tubes for it.
Quote by lp_dude_2
yeah when i first got it, i thought it was the **** cause how big it is. then i got an ear for tone, now i cant stand it. ill be so happy when i get the B-52. are you going for a B-52 also or just a tube amp in general?

I dunno. Possibly the B-52 but I'm also looking at the Valvekings and the Hot Rods.
Quote by Brainwash
^ Oh I have. I messed with it for 3 days straight after I bought it, and I couldnt get it even close to the floor model that I had been playing at Guitar Center. That led me to believe that the tubes on the one I played had been replaced (it is a floor model, after all, so its probably played quite a bit), so right now im just using an MT-2 for at least a decent crunch until I can afford getting new tubes for it.

Definetly EQ it and pick up an OD pedal. I use a Boss SD-1 with mine and just raise the level to max and the gain to about 2/10 and it adds that crunch you are looking for. Work with the EQ a bit too though.
Quote by Brainwash

well the good thing about the one im getting is its used so the floor model is the one you get.
Quote by jmac72187
Definetly EQ it and pick up an OD pedal. I use a Boss SD-1 with mine and just raise the level to max and the gain to about 2/10 and it adds that crunch you are looking for. Work with the EQ a bit too though.

Would you say the SD-1 is better than a Tube Screamer for heavier, more distorted sounds?

Quote by lp_dude_2
well the good thing about the one im getting is its used so the floor model is the one you get.

Thats true, but then you also got to remember that the tubes will go out sooner since its actually been played quite a bit, unlike when you buy it new.
I can't really say because I haven't used a tubescreamer with it. I do know that the TS provides a mid boost though so you would have to turn the mids down a bit on the amp. The SD-1 is a good bit cheaper than the TS too. I only use it for the level boost really and then just a tiny bit of gain.
Quote by Brainwash
Thats true, but then you also got to remember that the tubes will go out sooner since its actually been played quite a bit, unlike when you buy it new.

yeah but at least ill know what tubes to get to give me the sound i want.