this is a really, really, really dumb question but i really want ot know. what's the difference between an amp and a head? can you take a head just like an amp? please someone help.
an amp is everything, ciruits(sp?) cables, speakers. a head is only the circuit board and the knobs and tubes if its a tube amp, you need a cab, a box with speakers in it, to be able to hear the amp cause the head has no speakers.
is the crate power block an amp or a head cause some comercial in magazines say it's an amp and in the guitar buyers guide 2007 they say it's a head.
Well, by amp I am asuming you mean a standard Combo amplifier.
Basically, this is the difference:
A combo amp is the amplifier itself, combined with a/the speaker(s), and it's all in the same cabinet.

A head is simply an amplifier without any speakers. In order to use this, you will need cab or cabinet.

When speaking of cabinet seperatly, a cab is just a wooden "box" with speakers in it. You then connect the cab to a head. Cabinet usually consist of 4 x 12" speakers, but are available in other configs as well. Common one are: 4x12", 2x12", 2x15" and 4x10"

By connecting one cab to a head you get what is know as a Half-Stack.

Connecting two cabs to a head, you get what is known as a Full-Stack.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Quote by tristboyer
is the crate power block an amp or a head cause some comercial in magazines say it's an amp and in the guitar buyers guide 2007 they say it's a head.

its still an amp, but its an amp head, youll need a cab for it.
Quote by tristboyer

dude dont buy that
Quote by llanafreak44
dude dont buy that

i second this. im going to be trading in my crate within the next week. if you want killer tone, get a tube amp. they arnt too much if you get used.
Quote by llanafreak44
dude dont buy that

i was just asking. don't worry i wont put my money on that.
Quote by tristboyer
i was just asking. don't worry i wont put my money on that.

allright sweeet, was your question answered