I need help deciding on what kind of guitar to get. I have been looking for a while but still can't find anything that fits my specs. So I am asking you guys. Ok, here is what I am looking for.

Type of music: Metallica, System of a down, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, you know, that kind of stuff, genrally metal. Although I would like an ok clean sound, it doesn't have to be really good but it has to be good enough that it won't sound like crap.

Bridge: I perfer a good floyd rose, no liscenced crap or anything like that. Some of the Ibanez Edge and ZR bridges are fine too. BUT, if anyone finds a good guitar that fits most of my other specs but doesn't have a floyd they can recommend that too.

Pickups: As you can see I like a lot of metally stuff, so as long as they have a good metal distortion tone to them they are fine. I personally like active EMG's the best but I have them in all my other guitars so if the guitar has them, that's good, and if it doesn't have them that's good too.

Neck: As thin as possible without being uncomfortable. No shalacked or painted necks that are sitcky and slow. Yuck. 24 frets are cool too.

Body: Nothing too heavy. I have a les paul custom and it is the guitar I use the least because it is too heavy. So if it's light that is a major plus. Don't recommend any les paul shaped bodies. Also if it is any shape that it hard to hold or play with sitting down, I don't want it. Like a flying V for example. A mahogany body would be good too, or any kind of good, dark sounding, wood.

Paint/Appearance: As long is it is not horrificly ugly, its fine with me.

Price: $300 - $1000 USD

Misc: Right now I am playing through a Peavey Studio Pro 110. But I am getting a Peavey 5150 head and a Marshall 1960a cab. Just incase you needed that info.

Thanks in advance.
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Last edited by Pants99 at Jul 28, 2006,
have you checked the Stickies, there is one that tells you which guitar is best fitting steriotyped music.... Not all steriotypes are bad....
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
- ESP MH-400
- Jackson Dinky
- Ibanez RG 1570

Licensed Floyd Rose's really aren't bad, whoever told you they were crap is lying. If you know how to use it, they work fine.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

^ You have a MH-400 right? How is it, on a scale from 1 to 10? Good for the stuff I play, thin neck?
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
I don't have one yet, but they are awesome. 10 out of 10 hands down. It is beautiful, and sounds great. Yes, thin neck.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Ok, thanks, I'll check one out, anymore suggestions anyone?
An Epiphone SG G400 would do you no wrong.( or get the vintage sg g400 for 100 bucks cheaper, the only difference is the finish) It has a tune-o-matic bridge, 22 frets, a very light body, not the thinnest of necks, (it's standard size though). I play a lot of SOAD, metallica, ACDC, nirvana, stuff like that and get the right kind of distortion pedal and you'll get a very nice sound(might i suggest the Boss OS-2). Mohaganony body for superb tonal range. Overall a very great guitar. Look into it
^ lol, your funny
Ibanez RG1570, from what you're wanting I think it would be perfect for you. I own one and it's the best guitar I've laid my hands on for metal. Plays like a wet dream, and since your budget is around 1000 you can get one new and a new set of pups no problems
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by dj_brooks22
what you have something against this guitar?

No, its just that I have a thousand dollars and you recommend a $400 guitar with like one spec that is on my list. I could even get a gibson SG if I wanted one.
Quote by CodySG
Ibanez RG1570, from what you're wanting I think it would be perfect for you. I own one and it's the best guitar I've laid my hands on for metal. Plays like a wet dream, and since your budget is around 1000 you can get one new and a new set of pups no problems

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into one of them too.
Dude get a strat with a floyd rose! Use the rest for some distortion pedals and crap. See you wanted some specifications and people start talking about tune-o-matics. But since you wanted some heavy thing Ibanez RG1570 or something i forgot is good also.

If your not using your gibson give it to me JM.
Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.

Tom Stoppard
Quote by Pants99
No, its just that I have a thousand dollars and you recommend a $400 guitar with like one spec that is on my list. I could even get a gibson SG if I wanted one.

...I can't help but point this out...You're an ass...You said budget of $300-$1000.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
^You have the same guitar as me. How do you like it? Check out my "trading my gear" thread.

/off topic.

You want an Ibanez.
Quote by Vornik
...I can't help but point this out...You're an ass...You said budget of $300-$1000.

o, sorry, I forgot I wrote that
Ibanez R1570 BUT i think the S series are a lot better, the shape is really good for playing, comfortable, the neck is great, thin enough to shred but not too thin, the trem is cool, and you can change the stock pickups if you dony like them, oh and very light as well, This is basing off the S470 and the other S series, i've forgotten which one, the one with the cat scratch inlay at the 12th fret
^Yea I was thinking about the S Prestiges
rg1570 with pickup change, s prestige though theyre pretty expensive because of the wood choice
I would get a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge, a Dimarzio Area 58' in the middle, and a Dimarzio Super 2 in the neck. but that's just me.
http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-SCHHELLC1FR

There you go thats perfect for what you want. I dont understand all the buzz about Ibenez. In the sticky about choosing a guitar it says Schecters are valid alternitives to Ibenazs but, in all reality they are superior in pretty much everyway
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Quote by halfstepdown88
What's wrong with the pickups? And what pickups would you buy to replace them?

nothing, but i found them to be pretty bland really much like most stock pickups. and what i would replace them with is my preference since the pickups will be suited for me and my music taste and my amp
Quote by cubedeathk
http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-SCHHELLC1FR

There you go thats perfect for what you want. I dont understand all the buzz about Ibenez. In the sticky about choosing a guitar it says Schecters are valid alternitives to Ibenazs but, in all reality they are superior in pretty much everyway

a big WOOT and a to you
Go get your shovel.
It's preference. A lot of people, like me, hate the neck on schecters. They feel greasy and nasty, not very comfortable to play on at all.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Ibanez R1570 BUT i think the S series are a lot better, the shape is really good for playing, comfortable, the neck is great, thin enough to shred but not too thin, the trem is cool, and you can change the stock pickups if you dony like them, oh and very light as well, This is basing off the S470 and the other S series, i've forgotten which one, the one with the cat scratch inlay at the 12th fret

The one with the scratch inlay you're talking about is the S520
Quote by CodySG
It's preference. A lot of people, like me, hate the neck on schecters. They feel greasy and nasty, not very comfortable to play on at all.

^ That is exactly why I don't want one

Again, just because I love her so much, I'll plug the 1570. It has been able to do everything I want it to, and since you'll need to change pickups anyway, you can through anything you want in there!
ok, ill try out the 1570, jackson dkmg, and ESP mh-400, and see what I like the most. Thanks guys.