I just bought a guitar off of ebay and was just shipped to me. I noticed that the strings no matter how many times i tune them, wont stay in tune whatsoever. I also noticed the strings were on upside down, meaning that the head( the circle coily thing) of the string is at the head of the guitar. Is that normal with a bridge like this or should i replace them and put them on the way most guitars are? Also, constant fret buzz on the top 5 strings make it difficult to tune. Does anyone know if there is a way to raise the action on a bridge like this (if possible) to prevent the buzz?? ANy help at all would help me alot. Thanks.
Umm, I don't see how there is any way that the strings will go on upside-down and still hold in place. That is proabably what your problem is. Put the strings on the right way and see what happens.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Tuning a floating bridge can be a bitch...http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Yes, people often restring floating bridges that way, nothing wrong with it.

And finally, check out the site I linked to our get it set up.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
no dude dont put them on like a "fixed bridge" guitar, its a floating tremolo, so the strings dont fit in the bridge w/ the ball thingies on. i just clip mine off, some ppl just put them on backwards, if u put that little ball inside your bridge ull prolly screw it up.
Well Enough Alone
Strings are like this? Nothing wrong with that.

The studs on which the bridge pivots adjust the action - use an allen key to rotate the studs until the bridge is at the right height:

Courtesy of ProjectGuitar - might wanna read that page.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
OK thatnks for the help. Ill give it a shot. But anyone else with ideas let me know also. Thanks again.
Sometimes factory setting can be very messed up. For the buzzing problem you probaboly just need to adjust the bridge abit higher (you can see how to from pifty's lovely pic and post). BTW, forgot to ask is it a brand new one or an used one? If its a used one strings could have died out which will not hold tune, so you will need to replace the string. If its a new one could it be that bridge isnt parallel to the guitar body? (Not sure if that makes your guitar stop holding intune but thats reponsible for lots of out of tune problem on floyd rose.)

Heres a site where you can check out about adjustment the bridge angle:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
It's a used guitar but "slightly" apparently, but who really knows for sure. Im trying to adjust the action as we speak, but it seems every allen wrench size it needs i don't have lol.
Are the strings kinda of black and have almost no substain at all? If thats the case then its the strings that are causing the problem. Just replace them and you'll be alright.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
Also, don't forget, it's Edge III, and it's not intended to be a very stable tremolo.

If it consistently detunes after everything done, the reason might be the bridge - seeing how the RG is already used. What did you pay for it? Maybe the seller got rid of it specifically because of trem issues.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
If it has been used too much, i'd suggest that you change the springs at back and the strings too. As for the action, its not hard to change it. You can follow these simple tuning method that i made, remember to tune in playing position coz gravity will affect the Floyd Rose system.

Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licenced Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
OK thanks. I find it a pain in the a** to tune a bridge like this because you either to have to tune up farther or down lower to get the desired sound. But, once its all in tune, will it stay like that or will i have to keep tuning and retuning often??
Keep everything tight, the locking nut and the string locker. Also, its good to dive up and down quite a bit before you lock the nut to make sure that the floyd rose is in balance.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
And also, on my old guitar w/ a hardtail bridge, i tune from E to drop D often, is that going to be difficult if when i tune down all the other strings will be detuned also?
What did u expect, you got a Edge 3 trem lol. Change it out with an OFR.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Yes, or else get a D-Tuna, EVH product, but i think it wont fit the Edge III cavity coz its normally used on non-recessed. So yeah, all the strings will detune, OR, you can try to change the position of the low E fine tuners, really tighten it when you tune, loosen quite a bit, then lock the nut. You can try to see whether the range is enough or not.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I had no idea what it was to tell you the truth. I had a hardtail and tune-o-matic bridge previous to this one. Hoe much do those (the OFR) cost and whats the advantages of those bridges?
I'd suggest you try to "default" all the settings on your Edge III, if set up properly it'd work fine. When its beyond repair, then only you switch to another reliable trem.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Thanks for all the help madpickin. You've been a huge help. I was getting so pissed thinking i got ripped off cuz it wouldnt stay in tune, and the buzz, so thanks a bunch.
repost if you've properly tuned it and whatnot, or if you have any questions.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
you can use ball ends on that bridge if i remember right, the edge trems do let you use ball ends, not OFR's or some liscensed ones, but the edges DO let you use ball ends, you don't have to clip them off, i'm almost certain
Quote by flyingjew34
Umm, I don't see how there is any way that the strings will go on upside-down and still hold in place. That is proabably what your problem is. Put the strings on the right way and see what happens.

LMAO....