um, i watched the video of the man who sold the world in ny unplugged, and he used a guitar that looks like an acoustic but played distortion also, can anyone please clarify what guitar he used?
yeah and his guitar is an old martin. I forget the exact model but i believe it was made in the 70s
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Bowie. Not Bowe...
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
i was bored and looked it up for you... this is off the site.

Martin D-18E acoustic, also see "Recording of 'Unplugged'" section. Late 1950's, serial # 166854 (59), bought at Voltage Guitar in Los Angeles in the fall of 1993. The D-18E was one of Martin's earliest stab at electric guitars. Only 302 were made before it was discontinued in 1959. It is basically a D-18 acoustic but with two pickups, three control knobs (one volume and two tone), and a selector switch. Kurt probably didn't have any idea how rare the guitar was when he bought it, according to Earnie Bailey. Voltage recut the existing nut so a left-handed Kurt could play it, although out of intonation, probably due to Kurt "needing it yesterday." "I cut the new nut, and John Saba (longtime friend and Seattle area repairman who specializes in tricky acoustic bridge work and neck resets) filled in the bridge and routed the new slot for the bone piece. Kurt liked the work and sent me the Epiphone (Nixon Now) for the same treatment, but John replaced the entire bridge for that I believe. John now works for Dusty Strings, a high end acoustic & bluegrass shop in Seattle"(57). The D-18E didn't sound very good, so in addition to the instrument's DeArmond pickups (which were designed to be used in conjunction with nickel strings and sounded poor with bronze-wound), a Bartolini 3AV pickup was added to the top. Kurt was interested in the pickup because of its use by Peter Buck (21)(29)(32)(57).
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by TimmyPage06
Oh lord someone actually thinks hes important enough to have a site on his gear?

Oh Lord X2, people actually think that he wrote that song..

agree
Inquisitor of the zeppelinism church, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Member of UG's VIVA MEXICO CLUB

Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm a sweet transvestive from transexual Transylvania
the ****ty part is that they were still plugged in. unplugged my ass!

^^No one ever said that they wrote it. They were talking about the particular rendition of the song by Nirvana... No one ever said "I can't believe Nirvana wrote such an awesome song".. you people will look for any reason to bitch I swear....

Yeah with Nirvana it wasn't Unplugged, they used chorus, and distortion pedals. They took their own approach to the Unplugged set up.
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Oh lord someone actually thinks hes important enough to have a site on his gear?

Oh Lord X2, people actually think that he wrote that song..

Because you are so much more important? An icon for millions doesnt deserve a site but some kid on a message board does?
Quote by Skiddsifer
Because you are so much more important? An icon for millions doesnt deserve a site but some kid on a message board does?

nice burn!

Quote by socialtool
Yeah with Nirvana it wasn't Unplugged, they used chorus, and distortion pedals. They took their own approach to the Unplugged set up.

Yeah, then you might has well have used an electric.

The only unplugged effect i think works niclye is reverb.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
It might not be Unplugged but it's certainly high on my list of best acoustic performances ever. Sure, might have used an amp and effects but it was still through a genuine acoustic guitar.
david bowie rocks... never heard the nirvana one though
Chuck Norris has two speeds, walk and kill
some of u are idiots,just bc they say its unplugged doesnt mean it cant be played through and amp or anything,if it wasnt through an amp then u prob wouldnt even hear it,and i dont care what they do if the songs awesome,i think that u should be able to do w/e u want to make the song sound good. and no one ever said that nirvana wrote it either
Guitars
Fender Highway One Telecaster
Squier Affinity Strat
Alvarez Acoustic

Amp
Crate GLX65

Pedals
Digitech RP120
Boss Chromatic Pedal Tuner

Strings
Dean Markley 10's

Member of the Zeppelinism Faith
PM TheHeartbreaker to join
Doesn't everyone call it unplugged nowadays as long as you are live using an acoustic guitar? =/
Can you really have an unplugged album? I mean, microphones have cords, you really couldn't record it without cords copuld you? Stop your bitching, Jesus. It was on an acoustic guitar, that makes it "unplugged", get over it. Even though Kurt wasn't a technical guitarist doesn't make him unimportant, I'd rather listen to him than anything you'll ever put out =\. Nobody ever said it was a Nirvan song either, we weren't trying to offend you David Bowie fans. Personally though, I like Nirvana's rendition a LOT more, I don't like David Bowie.

-EDIT- P.S. Unplugged in NY is up there on my favorite albums of all time, It makes me cream my pants sometimes.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Last edited by MuffinMan at Jul 29, 2006,
Quote by MuffinMan
Can you really have an unplugged album? I mean, microphones have cords, you really couldn't record it without cords copuld you? Stop your bitching, Jesus. It was on an acoustic guitar, that makes it "unplugged", get over it. Even though Kurt wasn't a technical guitarist doesn't make him unimportant, I'd rather listen to him than anything you'll ever put out =\. Nobody ever said it was a Nirvan song either, we weren't trying to offend you David Bowie fans. Personally though, I like Nirvana's rendition a LOT more, I don't like David Bowie.

-EDIT- P.S. Unplugged in NY is up there on my favorite albums of all time, It makes me cream my pants sometimes.

I agree, I like the Nirvana version much better, and I like David Bowie. And ironically, Kurt says at the end of the song "That was a David Bowie song ."

And for the love of Vishnu, who the hell cares if they used effects? OMGBBQ THEY USED A MIC ON THE UNPLUGGZORED VERSION!!! You people complain about everything.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
i don't think anyones complaining about nirvana.

sounds more like trashing them to me....and we all know they deserve it.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Why is that bonchie?
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál