Hi guys I just listened to something by Tchaikovsky and was blown away.

I knew that prog rock/metal had classical infuence but I couldn't see any similarites until I actually LISTENED to the Tchaikovsky peice.

I listen to a lot of Tool and Dream Theater but when I tried writing progressive songs I just sounded like a complete rip-off (except that I'm nowhere near the the level of mastery as Petrucci... or Jones for that matter). I think listening to other genres that influence these artists will help, especially classical.

Thanks.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Thanks, redwing_suck, for re-opening this.

So, if anyone could reccomend me some classical composers that I could really learn from, it would be very much appreciated!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
try granville bantock's celtic symphony---i think it was used recently on a national lottery advert---;it inspires the hell out of me.
Thank God im an atheist
for classical my favourite is the 24th caprice by nicolo paganini.
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now