I'm looking for a new amp under $1500. I play lots of rock and metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Black Sabbath). What should I buy? It should have an alright clean sound and a great distortion sound. Ideas?
Way, way bad idea to ask here. Definetly go out and try some amps. Do you want a head/cab or combo?
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by love_O_rock
Way, way bad idea to ask here. Definetly go out and try some amps. Do you want a head/cab or combo?

why is it such a bad idea to ask for suggestions on an amp? well of course he should try them out but if he or she wasn't knolegable on different amps and such you woldn't try a fender for slayer no would ya?

anyways what willl u be using this for practice at how, with a band. or gigging? and woul du go used?
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
Are you going to use this amp for home practice only... or do you envision yourself playing with a band? answering this question lets us know what you are looking for. If it's a practice amp.... there are loads of decent amps available. Same for the stage amps, but rarely will the two be the same...

you want a good clean and a good distorted sound.... some amps have killer cleans, and crap distortions... others are the other way around..

Go the the guitar store and play every amp in there... if it takes you more than 5 minutes to find a sound you like, move on...

Good amps to start with are Peavey valve king, Fender (anything but the FM series), B-52 AT series, Marshall tubes (expensive but really nice), Mesa Boogie (if you want to pawn everything you own to get one), Kustom coupe amps are killer too (not sure as to the cost..) these amps are tube amps... solid state amps will be different in sound, quality, and tone... i'm sure there are good one's out there, i just don't use solid state amps, so someone else will have to pipe in and tell you..
B-52 AT-100 2X12 amp
Yamaha
gibson LP
Epi LP
Strat Knockoff
GNX3000
TS7 Tubscreamer
Various other pedals
I'll be using it for gigging a lot. A head/cab would be nice but they're so expensive. I live in a town with a very small music store so I can't just go and try out a bunch of amps.
You can definitely get something decent for $1500, especially if you don't mind buying used. For that budget you could get a 5150, Ampeg VL-1002, JCM800, Crate Blue Voodoo120, etc, plus a good 4X12 with V30's or Greenbacks (maybe a Marshall or Avatar). Plus, some of the older amps like Sunns or Ampeg V4's/VT-22's can be had for way under that price. They won't have modern distortion but they're loud and toneful and sound great with pedals. If you do go the Ebay route, try to search for amps and cabs locally, 'cause shipping can be pricey, especially with cabs.

Actually though, if I was looking for a nice halfstack and had $1500 to spend I'd probably go with one of these:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=V3412-30&CID=V3A

Great, versatile amp and an excellent cab for exactly your budget, and you have 10 days to return it if you don't like it. For $1500 they'll deliver the whole thing right to your door and you'll have a brand-new, killer-sounding pro rig. Plus, it IS technically under $1500 ($1,499.97 with shipping).
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jul 29, 2006,
Are Marshalls as good as everybody says they are. If so Whats the cheapest Marshall stack. sorry for the double post
Quote by metal Lover
Are Marshalls as good as everybody says they are. If so Whats the cheapest Marshall stack. sorry for the double post

Some Marshalls are great but I don't think you'd want the cheapest Marshall stack. I'd stay away from anything marked "MG" or "AVT", stick to the tube stuff, like a JCM800, JCM900, JCM2000, etc.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
If I had $1,500 for a metal setup....

- Carvin Legacy setup
- Marshall JCM setup
- Peavy JSX setup

You could either get a como amp version of any of those for about $1,000, or get a cab version for about the same price, and use the extra $500 on a decent cab.

I would just go for a Combo one. It's cheaper, and most of the combo's probably have a cab output, I know the Legacy combo does.
PEAVY XXX. only for $999. (plus tax).
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
what's the heaviest metal you play? can you give us a breakdown (percentages) of the different styles of music you play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Probably a Peavey 6505. You could get a head and a cab (probably Genz-Benz G-Flex 2x12) for that price. That would be a nice set-up. If you don't want a dark tone, the Peavey XXX is also very good. Or, you could look into something like a Mesa Rect-O-Verb combo.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Used Mark III and a 4x12 cab. Believe me you want this amp. I love mine and will never sell it. Plus they are somewhat cheaper right now and are just going up in price.
5150's are the old versions of the Peavey 6505. Don't bother with a 5150, just get the 6505, because they're the same thing and you can get a 6505 new (they don't make 5150's anymore, they just renamed it to 6505). They go for about $1100. Here's a link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481431

That gives you around $400 to get a cab. I'd suggest looking at an Avatar 212 or a Vader cabinet. They're very inexpensive and great for the price.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Alex2zulu
Mg Half Stack Lmfao

hahahahahahahahahahahaNO
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!