Hi everyone!

I just got my first electric guitar - it's a used Squier Fat Strat, as far as I can tell everything is in perfect condition (it's supposedly pretty much unplayed). Nothing fancy, but I'm still pretty excited about it.

Here's my problem:

When I pluck either of the the two highest strings, it makes the lowest strings vibrate and play the same note, so when I mute the string I plucked, the guitar is still playing. If I'm playing a tune on the upper strings, the lower strings keep sounding the same note, and it sounds awful, especially with distortion.

Surely this isn't normal? Does anyone have any idea what might be causing it?

The guitar has brand new .10 strings, if that makes any difference.

Thanks a lot guys!
Quote by Turbo-B
it's a used Squier Fat Strat

ahhh, here's the problem

edit: but on a more serious note, do you rub your hand against the lower strings when you're playing on the higher ones?
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Being a Fender is the main problem.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
I used to have that problem on my Squirer P-bass , it just kinda went away though. Someone explained it to me that its because of the build quality (or lack of) and the harmonics (hitting my A note on my G string cause my A string to ring) Don't know if thats right cause it doesn't do it now, but I accepted that answer at the time
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Check out picking hand position and fretting hand.

Use your picking hand to mute the lower strings, I do that, I rest my side of my palm on the lower strings when not playing them and I shift it away when I play them, and it also provides easy palm muting.
Thanks horazonblade and Invictious.

I'll give the muting thing a try. Kind of a pain, but that's what you get when you can't afford a decent guitar. Here's hoping it will go away by itself like horazonblades.
Quote by God Am
Being a Fender is the main problem.

What's wrong with fender, squier on the other hand.....
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
DO NOT BASH FENDER! You say fender sucks, and it's an insult to those who use them. So, you're saying that the guitars used by Buddy Holly, The Eagles, Muddy Waters, Stevie Ray Vaughn and even GEORGE HARRISON are bad? I think not.
Yes, George Harrison (God rest his soul) had a Strat. GO GEORGE!!!!!
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
I have carpal tunnel, caused by profuse masturbation.
gawd, that's gonna get sigged...

Jesus for president, king, emperor, vice president, chairman, prime minister...ect. PM Cashewchaching to join the campaign. or just sig it.
Quote by RelientKaddict
DO NOT BASH FENDER! You say fender sucks, and it's an insult to those who use them. So, you're saying that the guitars used by Buddy Holly, The Eagles, Muddy Waters, Stevie Ray Vaughn and even GEORGE HARRISON are bad? I think not.
Yes, George Harrison (God rest his soul) had a Strat. GO GEORGE!!!!!

Leave it, don't dignify him with anymore responses.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?