is it really necessary to know sclaes, where notes are located n stuff if all you are trying to do is memerize where you put your fingers. im learning slahs's solo of november rain and i was wondering if there is an imortance in learning all those note names n scales. using tablature and memerizing is basically what i am doing now...so does what i am doing have its consequences later on if i do not learn all the techniqual stuff?
Ok...knowing scales is probably one of the most important things about playing guitar, if not THE most important.

about 99.99999% of every song ever made with a guitar uses scales.

If you learn your scales/techniques/more-boring-stuff for 2 years or so you'll be a much better guitar player if you hadn't. Learning songs and solo's is great, but you need to develop technique aswell.
it's not necessary, but if you want to be any good you REALLY should learn them, helps alot when trying to write riffs/solos to learn scales, id say learn it, it will make things alot easier in the long run, and my best advice if you use a scale, just use it as a guide line, dont feel like you have to strictly use it, be lose with it, be creative, and use arpeggios alot if you have a rhythm that deals with chords is an easy way to solo with out using scales
well i figured the hell with what this and that is called...ill just memorize where to play and use tablature rather than use all this time to learn chords n scales. i think learnin technqiue and skill is most important first and to build up on that.

im not really gonna write anything.

eventually ill start learnin names of chords etc. once i start playing parts of songs that use chords rather than what i am playing now which is slashs novmeber rain solo...

isnt it easier to play chords n go from chord to chord than soloing something that take a lot of practice you think?

"just use it as a guide line, dont feel like you have to strictly use it, be lose with it, be creative, and use arpeggios alot if you have a rhythm that deals with chords is an easy way to solo with out using scales"

ya same what i was thinkin
Last edited by Unreal T at Jul 29, 2006,
Lol, why not just learn some stuff dude? It'll make you better...
Quote by Unreal T
well i figured the hell with what this and that is called...ill just memorize where to play and use tablature rather than use all this time to learn chords n scales. i think learnin technqiue and skill is most important first and to build up on that.

im not really gonna write anything.

eventually ill start learnin names of chords etc. once i start playing parts of songs that use chords rather than what i am playing now which is slashs novmeber rain solo...

isnt it easier to play chords n go from chord to chord than soloing something that take a lot of practice you think?

"just use it as a guide line, dont feel like you have to strictly use it, be lose with it, be creative, and use arpeggios alot if you have a rhythm that deals with chords is an easy way to solo with out using scales"

ya same what i was thinkin

Don't memorize, never memorize, always learn, learn them, not memorize.
You don't use scales to compose songs..you use your imagination. In fact, you can even make a really cool song just by inversions of a simple C
Quote by Owned
Lol, why not just learn some stuff dude? It'll make you better...

http://www.snakepit.org/equip.html
---scroll down three paragraphs. that is what the man slash thinks of scales lol

erm..i dunno i just feel like i wanna get into technique first and build up speed and all that and then learn later on.

what do u guys mean that learning the scales can make you better technique wise? do you mean it will be easier to locate where to fret and place your fingers faster rather than memorizing w/out knowiing what the heck a chord is or what?
Last edited by Unreal T at Jul 29, 2006,