Alright so I'm shopping for a new amp, and I have a budget of around $400 CDN (my mom thinks anything over that is too much to spend on an amp at this stage). I've been playing since last summer and I'm just looking for a good practice amp.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a Roland Cube 30 but I have a few questions first:

1. I've been told solid state as opposed to a tube amp is better for practicing at low volumes. I have a cheap 15 watt right now and the volume on it is loud enough. If my intention is to use it as a bedroom amp and for the occasional jam session, would a Solid State amp be a good idea?

2. If SS would be fine, do you think I should go for the Cube 30, or would there be a better/similar amp in my price range that I should check out? (I've heard that the Vox ADVT30 would be another good choice, for example)

BTW, I play alot of different styles of music, but mainly Metal and Hard Rock. Iron Maiden, Pantera, Slayer, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, and the like. I'm looking for something suited for that type of music but with some good cleans as well for bluesy stuff.

3. If in fact the Roland Cube is the best fit, should I stay with the 30, or try and convince my mom to let me get the 60? Is the only difference the fact that it's a bigger, louder amp with more effects? Or would it sound different at all? (Keep in mind I don't actually need anything loud)

Thanks alot, I appreciate any help.
Definitly save up for the 60 if possible, but it sounds like the 30 would be fine for you.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
I have the same exact problem, i've been going back and forth between the Roland cube 30 and the Vox advt30, its tough! i'm still not sure and have to buy soon!
My Gear:

Ibanez Prestige 1570L
LH Fender Standard Stratocaster Arctic White
Ibanez Gax 70L
Roland Cube 30X
Vox V847 Wah
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver Pedal

RedSox are better than you.