Does anyone else like the band Islands? They're The Unicorns without a guitarist. I think they're great. Any thoughts?
I like them. Return To The Sea is good album. I saw them open up for Metric and they put on a really good show. They're not quite as good as the unicorns though. Also, now Nick is the only member odf The Unicorns currently in Islands. The drummer, J'aime left the band a couple weeks ago.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Saw them live a few days ago. I really wasn't impressed, perhaps i wasn't in the mood for it as I hadn't heard any of their material before but something about it just didn't click at all. Perhaps the first show that i've left half way through.
I've heard about them, and being a huge fan of The Unicorns, I really want to hear them. Does anyone have a link of a song or something of theirs that I could hear?
The Proverbial Mind Spread of The Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Originally posted by Draken
we're not nerds thank you very much i have a very respectable 40k imperial guard army.
Quote by YAY_FOR_PIE
I've heard about them, and being a huge fan of The Unicorns, I really want to hear them. Does anyone have a link of a song or something of theirs that I could hear?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=32687683

Rough Gem is probably one of this year's best songs.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

they don't play the style of music that coincides with my music phase right now. i think i'd like them much more if this were not the case.
When I first heard 'Return to the Sea', I was quite impressed. Now, I only find it slightly over-average. They have a lot of potential, that's for sure. And I'll be seeing them livein a month.
I've heard rough gem and don't call me whitney, bobby and i must concur that i like these guys.
i was kind of blah on return to the sea at first, but it grew on me
looking forward to the new albums that they have been working on
They RUINED "Where There's A Will, There's A Whalebone" with that unnecessary and poorly written/performed rap section. They don't know how to pull of a decent rock-rap song and should take some tips from Damon Albarn when it comes to merging the two.

Besides that they are alright. At first I though "Oh great, another indie band that all my friends like " But I have their record and it's not bad.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
The thing is, the only Islands songs that I kind of like were written when Nick was in The Unicorns. And even then, they're missing something without Alden.
I love Return to the Sea, I think there's a new song floating around online as well.... Can't wait to hear the new album!
Quote by wilty00
I was pretty dissapointed with Return to the Sea, my sister lent it to me. Alot of the songs drag on for way too long and are a little quirky for my liking.

Swans is a drag for sure. I love the quirkiness of Rough Gem though, it's so perfectly cheerful.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Swans is a drag for sure.

That just breaks my heart.
I'm still waiting for Return To The Sea to grow on me... and I've had it since Christmas.

There's absolutely no comparison between them and the original Unicorns. None.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Swans is the best song on there apart from Rough Gem.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by pumpkins_rule
Swans is the best song on there apart from Rough Gem.

Amen...
i think every part of swans is neccessary.

im one of the few who actually thinks islands is better than the unicorns. i think they really grew up for return to the sea, brilliant album.
They've got a new album coming out on May 20th called "Arm's Way". The tracks are posted up on Wikipedia, if you're interested.

Personally, I liked "Return to the Sea" better than "Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?", so I'm pretty excited about this. I knew they started recording in February, but I didn't know it was this close to release.
Quote by Evan_lesPaul
i think every part of swans is neccessary.

im one of the few who actually thinks islands is better than the unicorns. i think they really grew up for return to the sea, brilliant album.

Finally! Someone who sees the light!
i take back my hype.

a few of the new songs are wonderful. more than a few of the new songs are terrible.
I don't think I'll bother with their new one. I was let down enough by the first one.

I know it's not fair to compare them to the Unicorns, because obviously no one will ever be just like the Unicorns. But nonetheless.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Buuummmmmppppp.

First record is mad underrated by Unicorns fanboys. Not that I don't love the Unicorns.