Page 1 of 2
Hi guyz i dont know How i should connect a stereo jack to the board.
It's like this But with 3 "labels"

1tothe ground, 1 to the switch, and the other?
But in which order?

thanks in advance
The pic you've shown is a mono jack ( a stereo jack has three pairs of lugs). If you put a jack plug in the socket you can see that the pair of lugs nearest the plug hole (i.e. on the right) are for the earth, and the pair on the left are for the live. When the plug goes in it makes contact with the two rear lugs and breaks the contact between the front and rear pairs. Can you explain a bit more about what the circuit does so I can tell you which ones to connect to.
thats more than a mono and stereo jack. I t has 4 things. Mono has 2 (which is all you need), stereo has 3 (one extra to turn power on/off when you connect and disconnect to the input.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
thats more than a mono and stereo jack. I t has 4 things. Mono has 2 (which is all you need), stereo has 3 (one extra to turn power on/off when you connect and disconnect to the input.

Sorry call1800ksmyazz, look at the photo again. There are 4 lugs but only 2 contacts for a mono jack plug. If you don't believe me look at any electronic parts site.
Quote by reeced
Sorry call1800ksmyazz, look at the photo again. There are 4 lugs but only 2 contacts for a mono jack plug. If you don't believe me look at any electronic parts site.

Actually, there's 4 contacts.

Many amp's "Footswitch" socket uses this kind of plug, but in stereo (the OP said he didn't have a pic of a stereo one). If you're looking at the socket with it facing you, the right side of lugs are all ground, and then the left correspond to where they are (front lug = sleeve, middle lug = ring, furthest lug = tip). When the cord isn't plugged in, the contacts on the left fall down and press into the ground, activating the switches on the amp's front panel instead of using the footswitch. The right lugs can also be the continuation of a circuit, like in a footswitch setting... here's a terrible example

Button 2---<Stereo Socket Tip>---Switch 2
Button 1--<Stereo Socket Ring>---Switch 1
COM-----<Stereo Socket Sleeve>---COM

When a cord is plugged in, the stereo socket doesn't bypass the signal, instead it sends signal to the wire which goes to a footswitch.

OP, can you be more specific? What are you doing?
Last edited by SolidxSnake at Jul 29, 2006,
i have written in the picture that i connected the first and the second with the ground, and the third with the switch.
I think i'mdoing something wrong(cause it doesnt work)
SHould i connect the last one with the + ?
Because if i test with a multimeter, it says continuity between earth and the first two lugs, the last not.
are you actually plugging a trs cable into this or are you using a mono cable?
Not taking any online orders.
Sorry.. perhaps i did wrong in an other linking..
I will let u know tomorrow.
Perhaps my wirings are ok.

BTW i think i'm using a mono cavle
If you are using a mono cable and only plan to use a mono cable then you can ignor the middle set of contacts. Just wire it like a mono jack.
so you are saying that i can connect the first lug with the earth and the last with the circuit?

anyway i want to check if it works like i soldered. But i have to arrange some contacts that i think i did wrong.
But tomorrow, cause now here its night
Quote by SolidxSnake
Actually, there's 4 contacts.

SolidxSnake, will you please read again what I said - "There are 4 lugs but only 2 contacts for a mono jack plug" - repeat "2 contacts for a mono plug"
i.e. the front contact is for the earth and the rear contact is for the live.
A stereo socket would have 3 pairs of lugs.

I hope that's clear !
jesus the pain such a tiny thing can cause!!

but we do need to be told in more detail what its connected to; are you planning to use one set of lugs for the input and one to switch the circuit on/off with the last set going to earth? or are you simply using it for the input?
Get a battery/multimeter & check 4 gods sake, Where is the problem. If u still dont understand . Directly wire the wires 2 the cct instead of the jack plug . this will tell U if the cct is working , then & only then go on 2 stuff around with ya jack plug, SUCK IT & C METHOD WILL WORK FINE. i.e. try each connection if u simply cant work it out.
Then if u still have a problem give up the prob isnt in the unit. It is with the unit working on it. Just a laugh
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by reeced
SolidxSnake, will you please read again what I said - "There are 4 lugs but only 2 contacts for a mono jack plug" - repeat "2 contacts for a mono plug"
i.e. the front contact is for the earth and the rear contact is for the live.
A stereo socket would have 3 pairs of lugs.

I hope that's clear !

Yeah, i noticed that after i posted and was too lazy to edit it.

Sorry!

OP: Use the first and last set of lugs, don't bother with the middle if you're using a mono cable. Even better would be to get a mono jack.
If it's a stereo jack, then there'a tip, ring, sleeve and short. You're just gonna have to look at your jack to see which one's which.
Quote by greenbox
If it's a stereo jack, then there'a tip, ring, sleeve and short. You're just gonna have to look at your jack to see which one's which.

From all the jacks I've seen, with the open end facing towards you:

far-left = tip
middle-left = ring
near-left = sleeve

right = shorts
whats the confusion IT IS A MONO JACK i dont care how many lugs its got it only has 2 rings in the pic I.E. it is MONO get on with checking your wiring 2 it. there will b an in & an out, not that hard 2 come 2 grips with. The tip of the male jack plug (& also the 2nd ring in the female part of the plug) r the input, the body of the male is ground, (likewise the 1st ring of the female) some circuits use input switching (i.e. when u plug a jack into the unit it turns the power on for the unit) this is why they use stereo jacks , not so u can play a STEREO guitar Ha Ha Ha
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
whats the confusion IT IS A MONO JACK i dont care how many lugs its got it only has 2 rings in the pic I.E. it is MONO get on with checking your wiring 2 it. there will b an in & an out, not that hard 2 come 2 grips with. The tip of the male jack plug (& also the 2nd ring in the female part of the plug) r the input, the body of the male is ground, (likewise the 1st ring of the female) some circuits use input switching (i.e. when u plug a jack into the unit it turns the power on for the unit) this is why they use stereo jacks , not so u can play a STEREO guitar Ha Ha Ha

apparently, you didn't even BOTHER reading the OP.

Hi guyz i dont know How i should connect a stereo jack to the board.
It's like this <pic of MONO jack> But with 3 "labels"
They're cliff type jacks btw.

I'm pretty sure this is closer to the actual jack you're using. From the input hole to the end of the jack, it's Sleeve (Ground), Ring, Tip. If it's shorting, then there's probably a fourth lug somewhere.

Also, I don't want to be mean, but Dix_Fix, it's really hard to understand what you're trying to say when you write the way you're typing.
Last edited by greenbox at Jul 30, 2006,
Yes that's my jack.
So i should connect the 1st with the ground, and the other 2?
I'm not using stereo cables... I have a circuit with an INPUT and output. can you tell me what should i connect to what? Does any lugs go to the positive?
Please help!
I tried to connect the first two with ground and the last with the other 3rd lug ( of the other jack) and the signal does not pass!
Last edited by falcon!!! at Jul 30, 2006,
But i already tried to connect

- Board -
-Ground-
-Ground-
---| |---

and it didnt work

The fact is that these jacksare a bit complicate, and they have 3 PAIRS of lugs.. And when the cord is plugged in, it seems that only the 3 on right make contact... or left..
Can it be?
i didnt say ground then ground. Only the last goes to ground! The middle doesnt need to be used, but it can be put to the 9v +. The 9v - will go to ground.
If you are wiring the tip to the board and grounding the ring and the sleve then it should work. Are you sure that your cable is good? Are you sure that your solding is sound? are you sure there is no stray solder connecting the tip to the ground?
Okay look. This is what the jack looks like:

..Tip--Short
Ring--Short
GND--short

.......^Plug goes in here

You need to connect tip to circuit, and GND to GND. leave ring completely empty.
Quote by SolidxSnake
Okay look. This is what the jack looks like:

..Tip--Short
Ring--Short
GND--short

You need to connect tip to circuit, and GND to GND. leave ring completely empty.

Yea. Dont connect the ring to ground already. You keep saying that your connecting it to ground. Well dont!
although, it's questionable why you'd want to short your sleeve, most of the time it's just ground anyways (there might be a good reason though, just one I can't think of)
Quote by greenbox
although, it's questionable why you'd want to short your sleeve, most of the time it's just ground anyways (there might be a good reason though, just one I can't think of)

Probably isn't a good reason, I agree with you 100%.

However, it seems to me with electronics if you do something that shouldn't, and in a technical sense, doesn't, affect anything it won't work... Maybe it's just me though... i have bad luck
Wait a moment!
..Tip--Short
Ring--Short
GND--short

Short means all ground? Or means to connect all them together?
IF yes, damn I had tried a similar way before (all to groung except the left tip, and didnt work)
Should this really work?
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Yea. Dont connect the ring to ground already. You keep saying that your connecting it to ground. Well dont!

That wouldn't matter one bit, if you ground the ring it should still work. As long as he doesn't ground the tip of course.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Well I guess, but if he wants to turn power on by plugging in then he has to connect it to battery +

But he doesn't. He specifically said it's a mono use, so the ring is worthless in his case.

OP: look at the jack. Stick in a plug. Which side raises when you stick in the plug? The longer contacts (the ones that raise) are the tip, ring, and gnd. the small contacts on the other side of the jack are the shorts, or bypasses. I'll make a little video explaining it in a sec.
Ok so ignore the middle thing like i said first. Wow I cant believe this whole thread has happened because of one small question. Threadstarter, If you connect the tip to board and gnd to ground, then it will work. If it doesnt, then your board is wrong.
Page 1 of 2