Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
uhhh...

I've played several practices and 4 gigs with my SWR Workingmans 12, which has is a single 12" speaker and a 120W head powering it...I admit, I usually dont boost the bass much past 60%, but the 12" speaker has been very good to me...It has kept up with 2 guitarists (one of which has a 4x12 halfstack, the other has a 2x12 combo) and a VERY loud drummer (with some loud Pearl gear) and its only semi-crapped out on me once or twice...It started to sound a bit distorted and tinny and couldnt handle the lower frequencies (note: at that gig I was playing with the Volume and Gain at a bit more than 90% and the bass was at about 65%)...But all in all, its been a great 12" combo.

However, I'm positive that John and Steve have played WAY more amps than I have and they probably know their stuff, I'm just saying from my personal experience that a 12" combo probably can hold its own in a band situation - unless you're playing medium to large gigs.

I've never played the GK though, just talking about 12s in general...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 29, 2006,
While I'm sure the single 12 can work, it's all about the frequencies.

And if I wouldn't gig (Without extensive PA support at least) without at least 300 watts. Even then, it's very easy to get drowned.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

And if I wouldn't gig (Without extensive PA support at least) without at least 300 watts. Even then, it's very easy to get drowned.

I'm not sure about that... I gig with a 300 watt 4x10 Ashdown amp. And I cut through very easilywith less than 3/4 volume, with all amps miced up. against usually 2 4x12 amps and a mic'ed drummer.

WHile my amp was beign repaired I was using a 100 watt Laney amp with a 1x12. speaker, I had to turn it up to nearly throuygh to just about be heard. However the same with a 1x15 I could cut through fine. However, a fair few 1x15's I have tried have been to 'boomy' for my liking so I reccomend trying them first, and if they are, go for the 2x10.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

ok, but keep in mind I've only done small gigs, less than 100 people were in attendance and the rooms werent that big...I used my 112 because thats all I had at the time and it worked fine...I was told I did have good PA support though, I didnt really know because the PA speakers were so far from center stage I couldnt really detect their sound from where I stood, all I'm saying is the 112 did great in keeping up with the band in practice and gigs...Even if it was only a bit more than a monitor.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."