Here's the story:

My PC worked fine yesterday. I'm still on dial-up but am are getting broadband this monday.

In the last few days my parents' laptop has not been connecting to the internet properly, with a strange dialing tone, yet my PC is connecting fine.

I was on it yesterday and it worked well, I ran my virus scans as usual [AVG, Ad-Aware and SpyBot] and found nothing wrong with my PC.

I then attempted to log onto my PC this morning and on logging on it said something like:

"Windows cannot load your profile. It may be corrupt. Contact your administrator."

The after that popped up, came the next box, saying;

"Windows will now put you onto a temporary profile. Any thing saved will not be kept saved after logging off."

I ran my virus scans again only to find nothing wrong, yet all my music from Itunes [over 5000 songs], all my pictures and also my word documents are gone. I assume this is becuase it is on a temporary profile, but does anyone know how to get my old one back and recieve my lost folders of music etc?

Have I got a virus?

If so, what kind, and how should I treat it?

Is there a way of getting back any of my stuff?

I heard there was a programme to retrieve my songs from my ipod to a blank itunes.

Any help extremely welcomed.
Which version of Windows do you have? I've had many computer difficulties.
Quote by ohio_emokid
then youll get caught and i'll laugh and poop on your head
Quote by SavageNights
Nine

^^^^ I am well known!
Quote by burningcowsrule
My balls are great thanks. Thats a phrase I never thought I'd see myself use...
Quote by Leonheart
You're a strange one 1__3__8.

^^^^ Why yes, yes I am.
i say, get a new pc, then take your old one and beat the **** out of it. or you can take you old one to a pc shop and get them to look at it.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
what operating system are you running? viruses can infect boot files such as boot.ini or the nltdr file. but you are able to type in your user name, or select it and enter your password, correct? what exactly does the error message say? you said 'something like'. make sure its exact. one big question is what kind of operating system you are running. then we'll go from there.

What do you mean "operating system"? Could you give me an example so that I could understand what you mean more?

The 2 messages said basically what I typed in my original post. The only thing I left out were the "and"'s and "then"'s etc.

Any ideas?

I'm trying this whole PC scan right now, it's just taking a long time to download the software for it on dial-up.
After I've finished with the scan I will def do that.

Thanks very much good friend.

If you have msn, could you PM me your address so that you could possibly talk me through it later?

Thank you
I don't know the details of your Dial-up problem so I can't help you with that, but the problem of your computer hiding your files is most likely fixable.

Try the following things before you completely give up hope:

Turn on your laptop and start pressing F8 until you get to a menu asking you where you want to load into. On this screen select Safe Mode.

Once Windows boots up, you should see your account name, and an account named "Administrator". Try logging into your account. If you still have a problem, log on to the administrator account.

From here, you can start searching your computer for the files that disappeared. My guess is that the files did not get deleted, they are just in a different folder on your laptop. Open up "My Computer" and go to the C drive. Now go to the folder in the C drive called "Documents and Settings". You should now see a folder for your username. Open it and you'll see the folders for everything on your desktop, your documents and everything else. In the documents folder should by your music folder where your iTunes music is stored.

Now that you know where your files are, you're probably going to have to create a new user. To do that, go to the Control Panel (it can be accessed from either the start menu, or in "My Computer"). In the Control Panel, select "User Accounts" and create a new account. Don't copy settings from your old account if you have that option since the old one is corrupt and could corrupt the new profile.

Once you have your new account, copy the files from the old account's folders into the new account. To do this, go into the C drive, "Documents and Settings" folder and find your old user name and then select the files & folders you want, right click and choose "copy", then open the "My Documents" folder (or the respective place the file should go to) and right click and "paste" the files into the new location. Now you should have the files accessible.

I can't tell you exactly what happened to your computer since I don't know all the details of the problem, but what I said above should work. If you have any more problems, PM me or ask more questions here. I'd be happy to try to help you fix your problem.
Originally posted by Gopher636
sure, sure, all that works. but in bed, he'll make you a level 3 goblin-wh*re and he'll be a level 90 sexmaster, equipped with mystical leather whips and handcuffs of Merlin.
Thanks, it's actually my parents laptop which isn't connecting to the internet, and my PS has all the lost files on it.

I'm talking to Zaccy on MSN right now to try fix it, he has similar ideas to you.

If I need help I'll PM you later.

Thanks
Do the same thing on your PC. What happened is you stored all of your files in My Documents or a similar folder that is specific to your username. When you use a temporary (guest) username, you can't see the files in the other username's folders.
i've had loads of problems with computers. they are a pain in the ****ing ass!

my last one totally died and my new has had loads of problems and takes about 5 minutes to turn off or restart.

btw, has anyone been having problems with firefox lately? my one just comes up with a white screen and doesn't load up any pages. i unistalled it and downloaded it again but hte same thing is happening.
Quote by Smokey Amp
Sticky Tissue: King of Threads.

Seriously, 99% of your threads are awesome.

O0o__l _ l
_\_______)

give 'em a lick... you know you want to

Champion of the 2005 UG paints competition
Nope, mine's running fine. Just got the new version last night. You are having common spyware problems... happens to every computer connected to the internet at some point in time.

Go to download.com and find Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Free antivirus, AdAware, and any other high rated security applications. Update and let them run their course.
Quote by GiantRaven
Maybe it just gave up on you

that is very lickly because computers are peices of shit so there is no suprise there
Quote by ANGERisaGIFT
Nope, mine's running fine. Just got the new version last night. You are having common spyware problems... happens to every computer connected to the internet at some point in time.

Go to download.com and find Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Free antivirus, AdAware, and any other high rated security applications. Update and let them run their course.

yes but aren't they only free trials that don't allow you to actually remove the spyware, only scan to see if you have it? unless you pay of course.
Quote by Smokey Amp

O0o__l _ l
_\_______)

Nope, the three that I listed are fully functional and free. Adaware offers real-time protection with it's "pro" version, but the free version still has fully functional detection and removal. Spybot is just free, plain and simple. AVG offers a free antivirus that is also fully functional.
ANGERisaGIFT is right. A computer is only as smart as the person using it. My computer never gives me any problems. You just need to understand how to use it correctly.

Security Apps are overrated and take up lots of resources. You're better off just educating yourself about things that can bring harm to your computer. If you know how to protect yourself from the start you'll never have to use any spyware, adware or virus scanning software.
Originally posted by Gopher636
sure, sure, all that works. but in bed, he'll make you a level 3 goblin-wh*re and he'll be a level 90 sexmaster, equipped with mystical leather whips and handcuffs of Merlin.
Quote by ANGERisaGIFT
Nope, the three that I listed are fully functional and free. Adaware offers real-time protection with it's "pro" version, but the free version still has fully functional detection and removal. Spybot is just free, plain and simple. AVG offers a free antivirus that is also fully functional.

i tried downloading spybot but as it was alomost finished it stopeed responding. that remined me of another thing that pisses me off. whenever stuff stops responding on my computer (which happens quite a lot) i go to end task and then it comes up with some send error report thing. if i click send it sends and then comes up again, if i click don't send, the same thing happens. so it just keeps coming back up and i have to just turn my computer off and on again.
Quote by Smokey Amp

O0o__l _ l
_\_______)

ok i ad to just turn my computer of because of the resaon i just said.

btw some thing came up when i turned my computer back on saying ''vitual memory minimum too low''. what does that even mean?
Quote by Smokey Amp

O0o__l _ l
_\_______)

Quote by ANGERisaGIFT

i downloaded that spybot thing (well it said it was spybot but now it's called spyware doctor) and it's done the scan but now it says i have to purchase it to remove the infections. over 250 were found btw.
Quote by Smokey Amp

O0o__l _ l
_\_______)

thanks. but i don't know why it would say that because i have 1GB RAM. i've only had this computer about 2 months and i don't have a huge amount on it.
Quote by Smokey Amp

O0o__l _ l
_\_______)

i downloaded alreay. but surprise surprise there's a problem. before you can use it you ned to download some updates so you can scan and remove viruses and stuff. so i click on search for updates and the box comes up saying ''spybot - search & destro is contacting the update server now.... if the animation below has not yet started, please be patient - the server may be busy, but the conection is still in progress as long as the window is shown''. so i've been waiting about 10 minutes and still is hasn't changed.

btw, why is the norton antivirus so unbelievably poor? it didn't actually detect a single problem, yet the spy doctor one found over 250.
Quote by Smokey Amp

O0o__l _ l
_\_______)

Last edited by sticky tissue at Jul 29, 2006,
Userfiles get corrupted with XP, it's happened before and will happen again.

I don't think it's a virus.

And dont rush out to buy more RAM, the virtual memory low thing happens to me a lot too when I try to run lots of graphic or sound heavy material. It'll pop up as a warning but if you're not getting massive slowdowns I wouldn't worry about it.
It happened to me, I had to make a whole new profile but then I found out tht if I did a search i could find all my files. My CPU then crashed and died so I got another and now the profile is fine!
Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
what is 'having your carrot skinned'? surely it must be painful, having your penis flayed?

'I love you so much it makes me sick'

Wanna listen to some chilled out, slightly depressing acoustic music?? --------> www.myspace.com/theriftplasticband
Well...I was wondering as well, I was wondering how the hell do I keep things from running on startup like MSN messenger, Yahoo, Aim, (pretty much all my messengers and various other things)
Quote by Silentnight66
Because this thread has Hitler and being hyper in it here's the fact of the day. Hitler was a meth addict.
To anyone that can help, especially Zacky:

I tried Zacky's list, and got up to point 6, at which point I couldn't access my folder of my old profile [of which Iw ant to retrieve my lost documents]. It stated that "access is denied". I then got rid of my password of my old account and tried again, but still it wouldn't let me get in.

How can I get around this?

If I can't, should I do system restore, and if so; how long back will it restore to?
Quote by pratt121
Start -> Run ...

Type msconfig

Go to the startup tab

HAVE FUN

Thanks...that worked nicely
Quote by Silentnight66
Because this thread has Hitler and being hyper in it here's the fact of the day. Hitler was a meth addict.
i'm glad you got your problem sorted out. now i need to get mine done. well actually firefox is working again but stuff still keeps messing up and won't respond. i still haven't manaed to downlaod those updates for spybot search and destroy because when i try it just stops responding.
Quote by Smokey Amp

O0o__l _ l
_\_______)

How old is your computer?
or maybe you have put a damaged disc in your drive. their was some moisture that was on mine that i did not know about and a similiar thing happened. the moral of the story-
DONT TRUST THE YOGO COMPANIES PRODUCTS