Have read through the acoustics under $300 thread and I am quite tempted by the Ibanez artwood range, AW85 with the walnut pickguard is probably the one I would get plus I could afford the electro acoustic if I went for that model. What I would like to ask you guys is whether or not going for an AW85ECE is wise as I don't really have the need for and electro I guess its just more of a passing fancy so I have some effect and tone to play around with. Do you think I should go for this or perhaps spend the same amount of money and get a better acoustic which isn't an electro?

Please bear in mind I live in the UK and won't be able to take advantage of the deals you guys seem to pick up in the US =(

Thanks.

Ibanez AW85ECE
http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=AG00316Ibanez
Keep in mind that this is my own personal opinion, but it is backed up with 33 years of acoustic knowledge.

I wouldn't have any Ibenhad acoustic if were given to me for free. I would trade it in for whatever I could get for it and buy something better. In all seriousness, I will say that every single Ibanez acoustic I've ever played was "dead" sounding, horibly bland and downright utter crap that is a pure waste of anyone's money.

Now that I've got that out of my system....

You'll always be better off buying a "normal" acoustic and adding the pre amp (acoustic/electric pre's) later. LRBaggs are nice, some of the Fishman's are OK.... but if you're new to messing around with acoustics, you'll be better off letting a good luthier install it for you... trust me on this.

I'm not aware if Alvarez or Washburn's are available in the UK, but take a look at a few of their solid topped models.

Considering that you're not really interested in the eletric/acoustic stuff.... you should just drive to your local shops and start picking up and playing every available guitar you can find in your price range. You'll know which guitar to buy once you hear it.

You might want to read through this thread as well... there's some valuable pointers in it... if you take the time to read through it. Just scroll down a bit and start reading.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/announcement.php?f=27
Bill, speaking of Washburns, what's your opinion on the F52SWCE? Any experience with it?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Bill, speaking of Washburns, what's your opinion on the F52SWCE? Any experience with it?

I've never touched one, but in reading the specs, and knowing a bit about Washburns... I wouldn't pass it by. When you consider that its all solid woods, bone nut & saddle and comes with BBand electronics... its more than likely a decent mid-priced thinline. I doubt that Washburn would place higher end electronics, all solid woods and the bone in a piece of crap... but without actually picking one up... I would have to guess as to its sound qualities.
Go with a seagull man, trust me when i tell you that you will not regret it!! you can get the S6 CW GT QII for about 560 and its worth every penning.
Hey There

I agree Seagulls are cool. You will find more Simon and Patricks over here in the UK though. Try the SP6, really nice guitar and you will have some change.

I would avoid, Crafter, Tanglewood and Corts. They are all good, but they are entry level guitars made in the far east. The Simon and Patrick (and Seagull) are made in Canada. The next step up would be a Martin DX-1 or 000X1. Totally awsome for the money the UK list price is £539 for each but you can get them much cheaper, i got mine for £439 and that was about a year ago, you may get lucky and find one for nearer £300

Good luck

Jim
I personally would stay away from Ibanez's and the Martin X series. Ibanez guitars are, in my opinion, horrible, and laminate guitars (X series) are just bad news. Again, my opinion.

It's been a while since I have shopped in the $500-600 price range, but there are some nice solid wood guitars availabe for that kind of money. I would check out some Takamines, Alvarez's, and Washburns. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with any specific models.
Quote by Dreadnought

I would go for it, if you're looking for a steel-string thin body. I had a Washburn EA20SDL, and while its not quite as nice as that one, the B-Band electronics are amazing and the guitar was a lot louder then you would expect from a thin-body. LOL, I'm kinda sad I sold mine, and I'm looking for another one.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by JimmyTone
Hey There

I agree Seagulls are cool. You will find more Simon and Patricks over here in the UK though. Try the SP6, really nice guitar and you will have some change.

I would avoid, Crafter, Tanglewood and Corts. They are all good, but they are entry level guitars made in the far east. The Simon and Patrick (and Seagull) are made in Canada. The next step up would be a Martin DX-1 or 000X1. Totally awsome for the money the UK list price is £539 for each but you can get them much cheaper, i got mine for £439 and that was about a year ago, you may get lucky and find one for nearer £300

Good luck

Jim

Thanks for the concise and helpful reply, given me a few good pointers! Don't think i'm quite ready for a martin just yet! Only been playing since easter! Will have a look at what i can find though.
i just bought a new elec accoustic a takamine ef216. £540. i originally budgeted £300 bought just couldnt find anything i liked i tried a a washburn for £280 not sure what model awful tone bad finish glue marks at the neck felt very cheap, a simon and patrick sp6 £500 i read heaps of great reviews, but thought it was vey overated and priced the only good thing was it had a solid cedar top, and a tanglewood for £300 this probably had the best sound and was comfortable to play but felt cheap and again overpriced. so i pushed the boat out and got the takamine ...awsome guitar finish, set up everything even came with a hard case, check them out theres a few in your budget and there all top dollar
Going for the Simon and Patrick SP6 Cedar I think. For £240 I can't complain and it is a wonderful guitar.
What about a Yamaha APX series guitar? They are rather nice, electro acoustic though so it may not be really what you want.

J.