Alright, so I have these two pieces of mahogany for a body, some maple for a neck, and I'm not exactly sure what kind of guitar I want to make, and thusly, I can't decide which body I want.

I'm leaning toward either a Les Paul studio (with the top cutaway) or a Telecaster. I'd also be open to other ideas, but those are the bodies I like most.

I typically play rhythm guitar (but I play lead on certain projects) with a British-rock sorta feel to it, like Oasis/The Strokes/The Smiths, that kinda sound. I also play acoustic, semi-folkish stuff, and I want a guitar with a lot of sustain for that.

I like the LP because it's versatile, but the Tele is capable of some sweet crunch and kinda twangy, masculine rock sounds.. I just don't know if the Tele is gonna be versatile enough, and I'm not sure I love the bodystyle.

Ideally, I'd like a guitar that has the diversity and looks of an LP with the semi-twangy, good crunch, unique sound of a Tele... anyone able to recommend pickups, etc?
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
PRS style. Like the Custom and McCarty's.

I hate the way they look.

Maybe something could be arranged with the pickups... but that body is not going to do it for me.
Not sure about the Tele tone with the mahogany body ... I'll defer to the more knowledgeable for PU recommendation to compensate for mahogany's "dark" tone. I have a Fender Tele and it sounds like no other.

As far as shape, what about an SG or something similar? Or maybe the LP's top half with the lower horn ala SG? Good Luck!

A tele would be nice for the style you play, but i dont know how good it'll still be if youre using Maho for the body. should still be ok if you are using the maple neck i guess.

at most you'll probably up the versatility with the maho body cause then its not "constant" twang
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Wow. You dont have to be so harsh. It was a suggestion. Build yourself a Warlock for all I care.

I wasn't being harsh. I don't think your guitar is ugly, I just don't want one :P
Do the tele, with the mahogany body it will have a little more LPish sound, but the pickups you stick in it will have a bigger effect...and plus ive always had a thing for teles

Dave, is that a prince guitar?
Quote by Raven
i would much rather go to the ****ing hospital and have them surgically reattach my penis instead of slap some silly puddy on there and call 'er "mangled johnny"
Sounds like you want more of an LP than a tele. Semi-hollow body with an f-hole maybe? That'll give you a nice rhythm sound, but won't eliminate the possibility of doing small leads every now and then.
Double cutaway Telecaster ftw.

...Basically a strat with Tele qualities.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Make your own design man, make it alllll you!

And how is the EP coming along?
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
i think the LP, but you could put a single coil in there somewhere to give a brighter sound, but dont be restrained by the same old styles, sketch some ideas out on paper, pick a general shape you like, and scale it up... im not sure how a tele/LP hybrid would look, but maybe you'll like it. also, if you go for an LP, you may have to slim down the body a little, or incorporate a cavity, or it could end up weighing as much as a small horse. The cavity would probably improve brightness though...
Quote by lespaulmarshall
Make your own design man, make it alllll you!

And how is the EP coming along?

Good... I'm really proud of what we have so far. I'll hit you up on MSN later and send you a song.

Maybe I'll do a LP-ish body with the mahogany, but put contours in the back and some small "horn" effects on the cutaways, as someone said. Not exactly devil horns, but just make them contoured a bit.

What exactly is it about the tele that gives it that sound? Is it the angled bridge pickup? The wierd little neck pickup?
^ i thought it was the mix of maple/alder coupled with the bridge style.

the wood for the brightness and the bridge for the twang. i could be wrong but...

WIKIPEDIA TIME brb

EDIT: From Wikipedia:

"The Telecaster is known for its bright, cutting tone. One of the secrets to the Tele's sound centers on the bridge. The strings pass through the body and are anchored at the back by six ferrules, giving solidity and sustain to the guitar's sound, but some are 'top-loading'; the strings pass through the end of and terminate at the bridge instead of going through the body. The original 3-saddle bridge resulted in good contact between the strings and the solid body, further enhancing sustain. A slanting bridge pickup enhances the guitar's treble tone. The solid body allows the guitar to deliver a clean amplified version of the strings' tone. This was an improvement on previous electric guitar designs, whose hollow bodies made them prone to unwanted feedback, and which sometimes suffered from a muddy, indistinct sound. These design elements allowed musicians to emulate steel guitar sounds, making it particularly useful in country music. Such emulation can be enhanced by use of a B-Bender (B-string bending device co-introduced by Clarence White), enabling a smooth change of pitch for a single string within a chord."
Last edited by mangablade at Jul 30, 2006,
Mix em! Get like a LP with a tele bridge and neck! Tele style buridge PU for that awesome CRUNCH (The Mahogany would make it a kinda twang-crucnch I get! D: Still tele-esque bit different!)! And a humbucker for those sweet, sweet lows! (With full coil tapping, phasing, and 195369 band EQ for TRUE versitility!)
To follow up on the LP with the lower contoured SG horn I posted above, you can install a vintage Tele bridge with the string through ferrules and a vintage-style Tele bridge PU for the sustain and bright sound. The Tele bridge isn't expensive compared to the LP stoptail or the Strat bridge.

Quote by Ippon
To follow up on the LP with the lower contoured SG horn I posted above, you can install a vintage Tele bridge with the string through ferrules and a vintage-style Tele bridge PU for the sustain and bright sound. The Tele bridge isn't expensive compared to the LP stoptail or the Strat bridge.

I told the guy at Guitar Center what I was planning to do and he said he'd give me a good deal on a Tele bridge humbucker (it's the same size as a single coil, but it's a humbucker) and if I bought it there he told me he'd give me the Tele bridge and the tuners for free.

Which is a lesson to us all!
I'd say you could go with the Les Paul body, but the tele specs like theyve been saying. I think a tele humbucker might detract from that tele sound though, So I'd go single coil.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club