I'll be the first to tell you that it is the guitarist that makes the sound not the gear. It's true right? Well now I'm not sure. I've been stuck with an ibanez GAX 70 and a crappy MG amp. I've been fine , I am some what satisfied with the tone I get. But the sound I get from playing isnt exactly the way I want it. After pluggin' into a JCM 800 using a les paul , i mean I came up with so many riffs on the spot , because of the ability to get the tone I wanted. Solo's sounded more full , and it just had an amazing sound. I mean I'll play a typical blues lick on the JCM and it is beautiful , but on my ibanez/mg it sounds horrid. So does gear make talent?

I say it's about

80/20

Pure Talent/Gear helping
;;';
I think the sound brings out the talent within. When you plug into something you really love the sound of, and you get that perfect sound, you get in that mood and state of mind where your creativity and talent can shine. When you know you sound good gear wise, you can sound better talent wise.
Quote by i_baked_cookies
I think the sound brings out the talent within. When you plug into something you really love the sound of, and you get that perfect sound, you get in that mood and state of mind where your creativity and talent can shine. When you know you sound good gear wise, you can sound better talent wise.

usually all my creativity comes out whilst im playing my acoustic :p which then i transfer to my electric works for me so yeah i kinda agree with you.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
I think that gear has an effect on how good someone sounds. But simply because well made guitars with nice pickups do sound better then cheaper entry level guitars with lower quality wood and pickups.

But in my dorm theres a guy whos been playing for a long time and is god as hell. He sounds amazing on his fender, but before he brought it he played my cheap ibanez rg320 and still sounded amazing.

But I dont think its fair saying that how someone sounds is completly skill dependant
Its true, I wouldnt have learned guitar if I hadnt gotten my roland cube 15, because I had a little headphone amp that had really fuzzy muddy crap distortion, and the cube could do decent metal sounds. But I think if you make a unique tone for yourself you can filter out the other music thats in your head and create music from you.

I havent written anything
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
I'll be the first to tell you that it is the guitarist that makes the sound not the gear.

No you won't. You'll be in the thousands.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
Quote by i_baked_cookies

i think you mighta baked some intelligence at the same time : !

x2
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Better gear helps enhance talent.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by i_baked_cookies

Cheesy, but true.

I can't play to my full extint if i'm thinkin... my tone suks... i need a better amp ect.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by R_H_C_P
Better gear helps enhance talent.

x2
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
Last edited by Sapple Pass at Jul 29, 2006,
Good gear helps your talent/ability to play better. But you can probably play just as good with shjt gear as you could with amazing gear, it's just that amazing gear will most likely sound better, and be played with less strain and aggravation.

In your situation though it's about the drive, determination and enjoyment of playing.... and the fact that you said you have an "ibanez GAX 70 and a crappy MG amp" tells me your not happy with your sound, which will make your drive and excitement to play the instrument diminish significantly, or perhaps go away altogether.

You might be a great player with great talent but your gear isn't making you happy, thus your playing might be comprimised.
Hai UG!
Last edited by L_Z_Nut at Jul 29, 2006,