I am looking for big tone boost, without having to buy a new amp, and I've heard that the BBE Sonic Maximizer gives your sound a big tonal increase. Does anyone have one of these in a stompbox? If so, does it help your tone? If not does anyone have some suggestions for another pedal?
I heard it can make a crappy amp sound good, and a good amp sound bad.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
IMO, it can make a good amp sound kickass too, depending how you set it and your own preference for tone. Someone told me it was a "lazy man's EQ", and I would tend to agree with that after owning one. It's like a booster that will bring out certain parts of your tone more, but you can easily go too far with it. It's a cool effect, but you have to watch how far you go with the process control or it starts to sound digital. The contour control brings out a lot of lowend, but you can also go overboard with it if you're not careful. At moderate settings, it can sound excellent however. I have the BBE Maxcom rack version, but my buddy has the stomp, and he prefers using it on the loop too. I didn't really notice any difference between the different chips tbh.

It really is something you have to try first, but I really like mine after getting to know it. I use it more for a tone booster with low process with mid contour settings, but you can also set it more for an OD type sound if you crank up the settings. Basically, I just set it and forget it for the way I use it, and I don't notice it unless it's off, which is what I prefer.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
honestly, in most cases I think the amp you buy should have a preamp (amps EQ) good enough to get the sound you want without anything else.
idk.
maybe not always, but I'd like to think that.

at least that should be the basis of your sound.

ermm. and as far as the BBE, it really depends.
why not just EQ your amp differently?
I've never had the chance to try one nor have I wanted to.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
And what amp are you using??

Its a piece of junk Marshall MG30 I'm saving for a much better amp but in the meantime I wanted a pedal
save up for a amp first
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
i was thinking about a bbe unit too.. possibly the pedal version
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
Quote by Erock503
I didn't really notice any difference between the different chips tbh.

Almost certain all the chips in the Maximizer's are the same - just different housings, IE some have 1/4, some have the extra XLR, etc.
if your getting a sonic maximizer get the rackmount version, as far as i can tell it sounds waaay better than the stomp box.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Satchtastic
Its a piece of junk Marshall MG30 I'm saving for a much better amp but in the meantime I wanted a pedal

I really dont think that a pedal or anything is going to make your amp better sounding. The only cure for a better sound is a dose of new amp.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
I really dont think that a pedal or anything is going to make your amp better sounding. The only cure for a better sound is a dose of new amp.

Agreed thats the only solution to your problem
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
okay you should buy an amp where you have no reason to think that you would possibly need one
Yeah well unless you can spot 500$ or so I was hoping for an actual response to my question