Quote by Scourge441
How would you write a Neopolitan chord?
The Neapolitan chord is an altered supertonic triad. It normally appears in first inversion, hence the most common name Neapolitan Sixth. They're used in both major and minor keys. In either case the chord is built on the lowered second degree of the scale.

Here are examples in both A minor and A major:
Attachments:
Neapolitan-6th.jpg
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
I've heard of this before, but I was never told it's function.. But, it appears to be a substitute for the IV chord?
Quote by elvenkindje
I've heard of this before, but I was never told it's function.. But, it appears to be a substitute for the IV chord?

I think it's function is to prepare the dominant - so perhaps you could substitute the IV, ii or ii6. I guess it would function as a subdominant in a perfect cadence for example - where it would probably be some kind of chromatic alteration of the IV.

I've honestly never studied or used it, so I'm not really clued up and have no idea what I'm talking about
Quote by Johnljones7443
I think it's function is to prepare the dominant...
Correct - this is the Neapolitan's primary function.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Hmm, then we'll just put it in Aminor

Amin  :   A  C  E
Bb    :   Bb D  F  <-- Neopolitan
Bdim  :   B  D  F  <--
C     :   C  E  G
Dmin  :   D  F  A  <--
Emin  :   E  G  B
E     :   E  G# B
F     :   F  A  C
G     :   G  B  D 

It appears it could function as the iidim and the iv chord, which are subdominants

And in Cmajor

C     :   C  E  G
Db    :   Db F  Ab
Dmin  :   D  F  A
Emin  :   E  G  B
F     :   F  A  C
G     :   G  B  D
Amin  :   A  C  E
Bdim  :   B  D  F

Well, this becomes more chromatic, but after messing with it a bit (yes, a bit.. can't do much in 20 minutes ) I see it mostly as a tritone substitution of the V7.

Someone who knows more about this thing?

Edit: Ah, while posting this, the other guy posted.
Sorry I don't have anything to add to the topic, but I was very pleased to see that you sigged me. A thousand thank-you's...