Hey guys,

I have an Epiphone SG but my G string keeps coming out of tune (no rude jokes please). I have read somewhere that SG shape guitars are famous for this problem, is this true?

I actually thing it is the intonation thing (sorry for lack of knowledge about guitar anatomy), well the screws which define the intonation, the G string one is loose, only slightly, and all the others seem to be fine, I don't know if this is part of the problem.

So here I am again asking the anonymous experts about my problem, I should really donate money to this site I ask so much of it.

Your help is much appreciated, Matt
I have an Epi SG custom shop model and mine stays in tune very well. I would definitely take it to a local shop and have it set up right.
have you checked if the intonation on the g string is good?
If it isnt i think it might be the problem, but im not an expert...
I dont think it would be inotnation, because intonation only affects the guitar when you are fretting it. What kind of string do you have on it? How times is the string wrapped around the post on the headstock?

EDIT: also, is the G string wrapped like the D, A, and E strings?
"it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then to cease
to exist than to exist forever
and never be part of beauty"
-Don Marquis

Quote by nebraskan
People who are racist are probably the most ignorant alive.

A serious sig? WHATTT?
it might be part of the problem, but with quite vague details itrs hard to say. dont do anything to it, id just take it somewhere for someone to have a look at...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
go get a complete set up.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Just a thought, not to be demeaning or anything, but, how old are your strings? New strings do stretch and that could be a small part of the problem. I put my strings on in a fashion that almost ties them in a knot so they don't slip. I also stretch them after I put them on. Could be a bad tuning machine. Mine has Grovers. Just some suggestions. Check or have the intonation checked first. If the bridge saddle is moving, that could be your problem. If it is not moving, I doubt that that's the real problem. It should still stay in tune, it just won't be dead on towards the 12th fret or so.
I have just bben changing my strings now lol. that's when I noticed it was loose, they were really old but I've had this problem from the start.

Thanks for all of your help I am definitely considering taking it to my local guitar shop tomorrow. Thanks once again, any more suggestions are greatly welcomed.
Quote by matth05
I have just bben changing my strings now lol. that's when I noticed it was loose, they were really old but I've had this problem from the start.

Thanks for all of your help I am definitely considering taking it to my local guitar shop tomorrow. Thanks once again, any more suggestions are greatly welcomed.

wait.....so its a new set of strings on, if so then you gotta let them stretch out