okay so ive been playing almost 7 years.. im very proficient in my blues playing and improvisation (jamming) i mean u learn the pentatonic minor and go for it...

so anyhow i was wondering where to go next.. ive tried learning scales and theory but i alway sjust get tired of it because i cant relate to what kinda context to use it in.. i know a few other scales like dorian or w/e but i dont know exactly how to use them...

i can play alot of hard(er) type stuff.. mostly classic rock and blues, but lots of metal,.. i just started learning in Flames and i caln play The Hive and Jotun and stuff like that... umm i can play cliffs of dover and cyrstal planet by satch so ive definantly got chops, i just wanna be able to know more about what im doing..

as for theory, i iknow quite a bit (i give guitar lessons to beginners so i know all the MUST know stuff (iim pretty sure lol)
the only thing ive learnt and never really used is CO5's but i dont really 'write' songs...

anyhow, lessons, reading, videos, songs, tabs, advice, any help is appreciated
thanks!
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
loo at some satch interviews about his music. He uses modes mixed together and c hanges key quite a bit but kjeeps it soundig good, that is the kinda context you are looking at. Like Cool #9 (some of) and stuff....
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
ya nothing i have to order:P hahah im talkin internet resources only

l
Quote by KYLE_2K
ya nothing i have to order:P hahah im talkin internet resources only

That's a shame because it could really help you out, as far as I can see that's possibly your problem, learning guitar via the internet is pretty haphazard because it doesn't tend to have any structure so you avoid things that don't immediatly take your interest leaving big holes in your playing, my best advice here is to figure out what it is you want to do, write a list of things you think you need to know to do it and work through it methodically.
this may sound patronising, but try a really good teacher, who knows his theory but also where its at
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
hmmm ya.... all good ideas
its just there is soo much GOOD stuff on the net, we should all make a thread with the BEST of the BEST theory tips, and live tips, and make the guitar/theory bible

l
im kiiiiinda thinkin about learnin mystical potato head groove thing.. what ya think?

i tried jerryc's canon in d but i cant do the crazy sweeping and ****

l
All depends on what you want to do...

Learning songs builds up your repetoire, but that's about it. It isn't all that great
for working on technique. Really getting into scale practice can do wonders for
technique, fretboard knowledge and theory.

If you're stuck in a pentatonic rut and like the blues, you can definitely begin working
in some modes -- Myxlodian and Dorian will work well in the Blues. That will
definitely build up your skill because you really need to follow the chord changes
a lot more. Actually following the changes, rather than just finding the key and
playing the same pent scale will take your playing to the next level.

There's a number of good books that will help, but since you don't want to buy
anything ... oh well.
thats what ive been trying to do.. but say a song is a simple 12bar in E, instead of soloing in E pent. minor the whole time, what scale formations do i use to go down to the a, or up to the b (or w/e)

get what i mean?

l